This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The travel thread

Discussion in 'LORD' started by StephenSLR, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

Finland would be sweet. I've never had the pleasure.

Which travel insurance company do you folks go with?

2. cowboy

cowboy Member

Looking forward to hearing feedback from you on Finland. Didn't get there when I did my big two month european adventure back in 2004 but definitely want to go there when we go to Europe again in a couple of years :)

3. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

I usually don't get any but with the route 66 tour I think it was strongly suggested.

From the organiser:

"If you were to trip and break your foot and could not go.... you lose everything.

If you have insurance in place you are protected from the cancellation charges.

So the rule of thumb is take out insurance as soon as you deposit any money towards your holiday."

He recommended SureSave, I think I did check out some others at the time and went with them. They had a comprehensive and a basic option.

s

4. Winmar

That's good thinking actually. I think it's always worth getting it, for if you get sick in a country in which there's no reciprocal arrangement with Australia, you could be in for a very expensive shock. Thanks Stephen, I'll have a look at SureSave.

5. KoichCPA

KoichCPA Banned

I ussualy use QBE. So far so good.

I used Allianz once and they fucked me over massively on a missed connection.

6. Falkor

Falkor J.B.C.M

I always get travel insurance, no matter how big or small the trip. I've heard too many horror stories, like that guy who fell off a track in India and got stuck there for like 9 months because he couldn't get home etc.

Anyway, I usually use these guys:
    travelinsurancedirect.com.au

A lot of people recommend World Nomads too.

7. JetHead

JetHead FTT

Just spent the last two weeks in Toronto and now I'm back in Sydney :cry:

8. Winmar

I'm in San Diego now, having been to LA, Vegas, the Grand Canyon, then LA again. I saw some bands at the Whisky A Go-Go last night, which was really cool. It's a lot smaller than I thought it'd be. Also saw Steel Panther in Vegas a week ago.

9. Falkor

Falkor J.B.C.M

Are you making to NYC Winmar? PM Me and we'll meet up.

10. cowboy

cowboy Member

This time next Friday I'll be on a plane to LA!

Then onwards to Miami for 70000 Tons of Metal.

EDGUY got added to the lineup yesterday and that makes the lineup complete for me. FINALLY gonna get to see 'em live. On a boat. TWICE.

Fuck. YEAH.

11. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

I've just checked out this mob for a trip to NZ and they were cheaper than ^.

https://www.1cover.com.au

They also cover rental vehicle excess and the total cost for full insurance with hospital, etc. is cheaper than the hire car company's excess reduction insurance alone.

s

12. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

A site that compares travel insurance.

http://www.comparetravelinsurance.com.au/compare/index.php

Be sure to compare what you're after, the initial results I had were for very basic insurance, Kango came out cheapest but when I looked into rental vehicle excess the 1cover were cheaper than Kango.

s

13. Winmar

Ah shit, I did go to NYC but only read your message now! I would have given you a shout. I hardly went on forums at all while I was away. Too busy booking hotels etc. Next time....I hope there is a next time!

14. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg Master Exploder

I've used these guys a few times. Usually the best deal I can find.

15. cowboy

cowboy Member

*threadbump*

So, I've made the decision and I will be going on the 70000 Tons of Metal cruise again :p

Lineup so far is right up my alley (http://www.70000tons.com/artists.htm)

I would if I can see Lacuna, Sabaton, Turisas, Ensiferum and Dragonforce twice, and both Doro and the Rage orchestra thing at least 1 time each. That is 12 sets already, with 27 more bands to come.

Given that on previous cruises I've been phyiscally incapable of catching any more than about 26 sets in total, it is already looking like another cracking cruise!

16. JetHead

JetHead FTT

Hey guys!!

Just about to jet of to North America next Monday!! Pretty keen, we're doing L.A., Toronto, Vancouver, hiring a car and driving through the Rockies and then down to Seattle.
    We've got lots of things planned, most notably tickets to see Rush in Toronto :cool:

The only thing we haven't done is decided what to do in Seattle. Anybody been there? We've only got two days. So besides the Space Needle what else does one see in the emerald city??

Cheers!

17. Winmar

Have fun! I think there's a bit to do in Seattle but I'm not sure what. There must be something musical?

18. cowboy

cowboy Member

Unfortunately I don't know much about Seattle (other than its where Grey's Anatomy is set LOL). Sounds like fun though - enjoy your trip!!

I'm starting to get excited about doing 70000 Tons of Metal for the third year in a row in January :) Will be doing the same as this year - flying over on the friday to have a couple of days in the US before the cruise, then heading back the following friday evening after the boat docks.

Lineup is looking pretty good thusfar - couple of wishlist bands (Helloween, Gotthard, Dragonforce, Lacuna Coil, Sabaton, Ensiferum) and a few that will be good to see a set from (Anacrusis, Kreator, Metal Church, Doro, Nile, Turisas).

And will have a warm up trip to Melbourne and back in January for Nightwish and the Sabaton headline gig, then hopefully doing Melbourne again in April to see Epica :)

19. JetHead

JetHead FTT

Seattle ended up being really very cool. We were only there for a couple of days but we got to see the markets which were really cool. We also went to the Experience Music Project museum. They had a whole level dedicated to playing music. They had rooms set up with guitars, drums and a bass and you could just have a jam and even record!!!!
    We also saw Dio's Disciples, they were fucking brilliant. They mashed out Dio, Rainbow and Sabbath songs all night. Killer show.

Very cool trip I highly recommend driving the Canadian rockies. Some of the most spectacular scenery you'll come across.

Rush in Toronto were bloddy brilliant as well :D

20. Cooee

Cooee Member

I'm currently in Tokyo, and I will be here for the next week. I know a few of you have been here before, so if you have any recommendations for things to do please let me know. :)

I've been to Akihabara so far to have a look at a retro gaming store called Super Potato: http://www.dannychoo.com/post/en/25827/Super+Potato.html
    I didn't really have much time to spend there as I had to catch a train to Hiroshima, but I played the "Metal Slug X" machine in their gaming arcade for a while, as well as looking through the consoles and games in their store (spread across 3 levels in the building).