This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The travel thread

Discussion in 'LORD' started by StephenSLR, Jul 6, 2009.

1. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

Hey all,

I'm planning another trip to New Zealand's North Island.

To make the most of it we plan on driving to the northern tip.

Looking at the map and planning to spend 2 nights each at 3 destinations, I'm thinking driving to Paihia, then further north to Doubtless Bay and return via Whangarei.

Any reviews of these destinations or are there other recommendations on the way up, north of Auckland?

s

2. TheDenimRager

TheDenimRager Hats make things better.

Hey gang,

Long tiime no post. So I'm planning a trip. Manowar have announced that they're headlining a fest called Loudpark in Tokyo in October. Now they haven't been to Japan since 1993 (as far as I have been able to ascertain), and they're no spring chickens, and this will probably be the last time they manage to get to Japan (they will obviously never tour Australia), so this is pretty much one shot at seeing them.

I'm looking to speak to the following people:

1. People who are considering going, particularly from Australia
    2. People who have travelled extensively in Japan and/or been to a fest in Japan
    3. Japanese people and/or people who speak fluent Japanese as well as English

for advice and assistance in the following broad areas:

1. Booking tickets
    2. Getting around Tokyo and the fest

If anyone on here can help me with this stuff or put me in touch with someone who can, that'd be spiffy! :kickass::kickass::kickass:

3. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

I've just come back from Japan and spent close to two weeks in Tokyo, spending nights in Ikebukoro, Shinjuku and Shibuya.

Their public transport system is very efficient.

Hyperdia was invaluable in getting from A to B.

http://www.hyperdia.com/

Where is the festival and do you have any ideas where in Tokyo you'll be staying?

s

4. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

One word: JRR Pass

http://www.japantravel.com.au/List-Rail-Passes.asp

This will save you so much time, money and stress it's not funny.

Aside from Steve's advice, Andy is the guy to chat to - he's been our tour manager for the last 3 or 4 visits there and will have a lot of useful info. :)

5. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

If it's at the Saitama Super Arena, it looks like a short walk from Saitama-Shintoshin station.

The Tokyo railway system does take a bit of getting used to. There's the JR line and the Metro, you'll need separate tickets for each and sometimes you'll need to use both but both lines intersect at the station when you do need to change. There can also be quite a bit of walking going from one metro line to another within the one station so you may have to allow for extra time in case you miss a train but there's a train every few minutes.

s

6. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

If you plan it right you rarely need to use the Metro line though. Just watch how much luggage you have if you do go via subway, etc 'cos a lot of those stations only have little winding stairwells rather than lifts or escalators.

7. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

Yep there's often more than one way to get to your destination. When I was going out of town for training I asked the station attendants for directions and found myself on the Skyrail for one section. I later used the Hyperdia site and took an easier route.

If you're going to popular areas there'll be both JR and Metro stations and one could have an exit closer to your destination. I found at the end of a long day I just wanted to hit the nearest exit rather than walk a kilometre to get back to the one from which I arrived, both ways got me back in roughly the same time. Of course it will depend on where in Tokyo you're leaving from and going to.

s

8. TheDenimRager

Thanks heaps guys. I'll talk to Mr Dowling. Steve, what was Shinjuku like? It seems like all the bars and record stores listed on MTG are around there.

I'm only spending a few nights there, for the fest, just in Tokyo - is a JRR pass still worth it?

9. Aussie_Metalchild

Aussie_Metalchild Bass player from LORD

JR pass isn't worth it if you're just there for a few nights. The minimum you can get is a 7 day pass I think (or maybe you can get 5?). Either way, unless you're planning to use the Shinkansen (bullet train), it isn't worth paying for.

With that in mind, however, I would highly recommend checking out some of the other cities and getting a pass. Between major cities, you're spending at max 2-2.5 hours on a bullet train (where normally it would be 10+ hours in a car). Very fast, very convenient and very awesome.

I'm planning to be there a week to 10 days in the first/second weeks of November. I'll be doing a minimum of 4 cities, but will try and get down south to Fukuoka again as well.

Feel free to hit me up directly if you have any questions, or just keep throwing them up on here. Happy to try and give as much helpful advice as possible.

PS: Shinjuku is awesome. It's an entertainment district and as you said, lots of bars and music stores. It's got its sleazy areas (Shinjuku is massive), but its really hard to feel unsafe there.

10. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

If you're only spending a few nights in Tokyo don't bother travelling far. Get to sightsee the areas close by. If you like the big neon lights, it's worth sightseeing Shinjuku, Shibuya and perhaps Ikebukoro.

I stayed in Shibuya and I preferred it to Shinjuku but didn't get to see the bars of Shinjuku. I did visit Disk Union there which has an impressive Metal collection, be sure to go to the Metal store, they also have a Rock store a few doors down.

http://diskunion.net/shop/ct/shinjuku_metal

Shinjuku has a large park, if you're into that sort of thing. Shinjuku and Shibuya are very close, a quick train trip.

The Roxy is in Shibuya, a burger joint by day but I think it really kicks off 11pm after the gigs downstairs, they played 80's Metal when we were there, it's owned by Mikey Doling ex-Soulfly.

https://www.facebook.com/roxytokyo/events?key=past&ref=5

Harajuku is worth a visit, the 'Harajuku girls' come out on a Sunday displaying their fashions and check out the Tokyo National Museum at Ueno if you like to see some old Samurai style military dress and swords, among other things.

Akihabara if you're into electrical goods and Ochanomizu is the place for guitars/instruments.

Wherever you go, you can't really go wrong, it's a real trip, I'm sure you'll have fun.

s

11. cowboy

cowboy Member

I'm seriously considering Loudpark too so will be monitoring this thread with interest :)

http://www.loudpark.com/14/

Two true 'bucketlist' bands for me that I've yet to see live (Within Temptation and Amaranthe), dying to see Arch Enemy with Alyssa, really like Battle Beast, cannot see Dragonforce live enough, Symphony X are great live, and Dream Theater and Manowar would be fun too.

12. Cooee

Cooee Member

Well, that is slightly annoying. I'm off to Japan in October (my girlfriend is Japanese) but land back in Sydney on 17th Oct.

13. TheDenimRager

Cheers for the continuing advice guys, I'm soaking it all up :) any other tips much appreciated.

OK so buying tickets is proving much more difficult than anticipated...seems like nothing is simple in that country. Something about having to apply for tickets then pay in person at a convenience store? It's hard to tell, there seems to be heaps of different vendors who've been allocated different tickets, etc...complicated! Has anyone ever been to a fest in Japan? Or even a gig?

Cowboy, shoot me a PM if you decide to go, it'd be cool to meet up.

14. Aussie_Metalchild

Aussie_Metalchild Bass player from LORD

I usually get friends to buy tickets for me over there, so Im not much help in that regard.

Suggestion, join this FB group. Lot's of foreigners who go to Loud Park each year. No doubt someone on there will be able to help - https://www.facebook.com/groups/23062814914/?fref=ts

15. cowboy

cowboy Member

And one of the first comments I see in that group "Ticket buying is so complicated in Japan" :p

WHY YOU MAKE IT SO COMPLICATED JAPAN!!??!!??

Will definitely let you know if I end up attending Denim :)

16. TheDenimRager

They updated the official site with a link to their ticket-sales portal on Rakuten (the Japanese version of Ebay) for foreigners. Now it is in English and easy as 123.

17. cowboy

cowboy Member

Well, after much consideration I've decided to head off to 70000 Tons of Metal 2015 - the lineup so far isn't KILLER, but its just such an amazing experience!!!

www.70000tons.com

Excited to see Alestorm, Arch Enemy, Ensiferum, Blind Guardian, Therion and Apocalyptica again. And still 34 bands to be added so hoping for some 'wishlist' bands of mine so I dont regret doing this instead of Loud Park !! :p

18. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

Still pretty decent, and enough to make it worthwhile going.