This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The what pisses you off thread

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Crozzy, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

people demanding/begging that I do favours for them without offering any compensation in return.

and packages not turning up when they are well past due.

2. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

Not realising the goals I set myself in my twenties. Lame and disappointing.

3. Si

Si The Trickster's Bitch

Relax man, they were goals, not checkpoints.

4. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

Are they something you’ll achieve eventually?

Was the journey worth it?

I hear ya though, although I’m proud to have achieved some things thus far, there are just some things I’ll never be able to go back and do.

s

5. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

To add to this, just recently I’ve started throwing out all my university assignments, have even sold some old textbooks on fleabay …. for $0.99c

Looking through my notes as I was throwing them out to put in the recycle bin and reliving all that hard work, sweat & tears, the misery of exam times, etc. … and realising all that effort was never to be put to any good use after graduation.

s

6. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

The main thing you should get out of university is to learn how to teach yourself stuff that is difficult. IMHO.

7. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

True, you end up better geared to tackle a problem, research, etc.

All the maths I did surely taught me to think analytically & probably turned me into a bigger nerd. Everyday maths becomes very simple in comparison, not to say I haven't done the odd miscalculation.

I was looking at some of the formulas and problems I did and I wouldn't know where to start, what I do at work today isn't an iota of what I studied.

s

8. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Yup, I have a BSc in geology. The most geology I do these days is hunting for gold and teaching the non-technical people I work with the basics of finding oil and gas.

9. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Internet router died the sunday before xmas. Replacement MIGHT be here tomorrow .... grrr.

So that's the first bad iinet experience for me. Why? Twice I was promised a call back and got none. Also, Sth African call centre couldn't contact Perth office (500m from where I work) and see if I could just pick up a router directly on the days before xmas. Also, wasn't given the choice for a very long time to re-contract and get a new "free" router, they just assumed I'd take a "loan router" and send it back again- WTF?? Knowing this right from the start might have got the replacement to me a few days sooner.

So what were the good points of this experience? 1. The lady I spoke with first up in the Sth African call center was a VERY good troubleshooter. Usually they are just script readers who actually have no idea how to solve problems and it takes ages to walk them through things. 2. I'll learned never to throw out another working router- I threw away my old one a couple of months previously after not needing it for 18 months. I have a LOT of spare computer parts... If I'd still had the old one we would have been able to configure it over the phone.

Bah!!!

10. Bloopy

Bloopy Active Member

I was a bit pissed off that the router I got from my ISP started dying after about 3-4 years. They told me that's how long they expect routers to last. :mad: I went and bought a router of a decent brand instead (Linksys), so hopefully that lasts a bit longer. My parents have a Netgear router which is about 9 years old and still going strong!

11. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

This was an iinet branded belkin. Lifespan 2 years. Took them three weeks to ship me another one!

12. Acey Jendell

Acey Jendell Jonesey

what pisses me off...

it pisses me off that this is my first post in a couple of years.
    it pisses me off that metal doesn't mean the same thing to me that it meant 10 years ago.
    it pisses me off that i miss DUNGEON!!!
    it pisses me off that i heard LT sold the Fryer to somebody that wasn't me.
    it pisses me off that i have short hair now.
    it pisses me off that when i joined this forum the thought of a NEW australian band becoming successful might have been a reality yet in the iphone age i don't see it happening.
    it pisses me off the way the world has changed in the last 15 years. i don't like the new world :(

13. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

Well I can help with 2 things:

Missing Dungeon isn't an issue because it's called LORD now. Have a read of this: http://www.lord.net.au/blog/whats-in-a-name/

And the Fryer... well, it went to a good home (in fact, the poster above you). Brad did a killer job entirely restoring it to its original condition, something that I had no money or desire to do. But these days I'm a proud ESP man, and a lot of the stuff we do now is literally impossible to do on the Fryer due to its limitations. My new guitar is 27 frets and they all indeed get used. Sort of hard to do what we do now on a 22 fret guitar. ;)

14. Acey Jendell

Acey Jendell Jonesey

good read Tim. i agree with most of what you said but i do think that Dungeon sounds like Dungeon and LORD sounds like LORD. i don't want to discredit LORD in any way (not that one post on the internet by one person could really discredit anything anyway) i guess it might be the nostalgia factor, who knows? but you can't really say pink bubbles go ape sounds like keeper II. pink bubbles is an awesome album btw, still spin it regularly. i don't know what it is, maybe i'm just a silly bugger ;)

15. Acey Jendell

Acey Jendell Jonesey

... but to say that i even think i sound like a dick. bands change over the years. i know that firsthand with my own music, so maybe it IS just the nostalgia factor.

i love that you guys are still going strong though.

16. Lord Tim

Well it really does depend how you look at it. If we'd released Ascendence instead of The Final Chapter, I think that sounds more like ARTP and OSB than TFC ever did. So things definitely do evolve as it goes, but I really don't hear them being too different. Look at Limb From Limb - that could be Traumatised's bastard cousin for example. Legacy / Reborn are really Lost In The Light sounding... know what I mean?

I do agree the new album is more of a departure (for the most part) from the old Dungeon sound but that's because we've done it about 6 times now. I'm pretty sure people know we can write like that by now. ;) But we're not AC/DC and we still want to do stuff that inspires us rather than being a parody of ourselves, and something that'll still never match up to "that time when I was out cruising all night with my mates with not a care in the world and cranking Insanity's Fall". Even if we did a song that was practically identical to it, it still actually wouldn't be it - and that's important in how you perceive something.

Not trying to marginalise what you're saying and I definitely haven't taken offence at all (even if I disagree, you're still absolutely entitled to your opinion - and a personal opinion about how you feel about a bit of art can NEVER be wrong) but I think you do need to be in the right place at the right time and then live with something for a while for it to be that special thing, and nothing really can live up to it, no matter how good it is.

But long and short of it, this IS Dungeon 2013. And we're still out there playing the songs (we've been wheeling out stuff like The Power Within and No Way Out lately, which has been fun - we rotate the set quite a bit and there's usually at least half of it from pre-LORD albums), so don't despair! It's just a name change. :)

17. Acey Jendell

Acey Jendell Jonesey

good point. yeah i think Ascendence sounds more like the earlier albums. that's one of my favs actually. haven't seen you guys for years, didn't know you played the power within live. from memory i recall you saying it would be impossible to pull off but it is nearly a decade old so i guess things change.

i know this much, i need to get my arse to a LORD gig soon. any chance of pariah?

18. Lord Tim

We looked into that one for a bit but it went into the too hard basket for now, and we had new stuff to work on as well.

But there's a few big changes happening to the set this year (a new song we've never played live before in Sydney on May 4 in fact, for a start) so you never know what may end up in there. Either way, it'll have something for everyone in there. :)

19. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

Welcome to life. Things change and you have to do your best to find the ‘world’ you most want to be in.

Depends on what you call successful, topping the commercial radio charts is unlikely in the current market, same with making a living from Metal.

Due to the internet however my band has been able to get our music out to a much larger audience than we did a decade ago, I think with people downloading what they want to hear it’s definitely shaking up the music industry.

s

20. Acey Jendell

Acey Jendell Jonesey

^ yeah i know things change. still pisses me off though.

as for what i meant by successful... y'know selling albums, headlining tours, having generations of kids wear your t-shirts and have your posters on their wall... what it used to be like.