This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The Whining and Bitching Thread

Discussion in 'GMD Social Forum' started by waif, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Summerian

Summerian Internetdamaged

Past by a couple of idiot kids.
    They where spiting at each other, for real, and laughing about it.
    When I was a kid - if someone spat at you - you'd beat him up.
    The End Is Nigh.

2. CiG

CiG Primordial Soup of Radioactive Sewage

I just figured it was controversial because it's 9/11.

3. Dak

Dak mentat

Sounds like it's your dad who needs to cut him off.

4. J.

J. Old Fart

Yeah i judge a country's people based on what biased media post on the internet too. :rolleyes:

5. RedStorm

RedStorm Death has come

911 was horrible but shit like that happens in poor countries like daily

6. tagradh

tagradh Active Member

Not on that scale.

Unless you're including mass killings most major terror attacks seem to kill something like 100-300 people. So about 1/10th as many as died in 9/11.

7. The Ozzman

The Ozzman Melted by feels

My roommate just broke the news that he's being relocated for work before year end. He gave 60 days notice to the complex today. Guess I'm moving back with my parents for a minute :(

8. CiG

Damn... Shit are you sure you can't find a boarder?

9. The Ozzman

That's an option but I would only do that if I knew the person well. Not taking chances on a complete stranger.

10. CiG

Not even if you played it super safe with requirements and shit?

11. The Ozzman

People lie about that shit all the time.

12. CiG

True, but there are ways around the scum of the lot, I played the boarding game for years, from both sides and honestly I met way more legit nice people than I did scamming fuckstains.

Dunno about you but for me the risk is worth not moving back in with parents.

13. Jimmy... Dead.

Jimmy... Dead. contemplative curmudgeon

Enablers are the fucking worst

14. Firehead

Firehead CrusaderOfTheDowntrodden

Hope this doesn't seem rude to jump into your conversation, but I was reading and I am eternally interested in roommate discussions as I've had/known some interesting ones. Personality/money are usually the two most obvious conflicts.

Sorry to hear about your deal. How much was your split of the rent? Would it be impossible to get out of the lease and get something like a studio? If you go to a new place and tell them you're going to break your current lease, the new place might (maybe) let you sign a new one. You might have to come up with three months ahead instead of two but it might be worth it.

15. Serjeant Grumbles

Not everyone's parents are like the Costanzas.

#12575 Serjeant Grumbles, Sep 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  16. CiG

George likes the bananas.

LET HIM HAVE BANANAS ON THE SIDE!

17. The Ozzman

My parents are pretty cool. Yeah, I lose a bit of my freedom but I'll save a fuckton in rent and can save up to buy a condo or house at the end of the stay. I only plan on staying for about 6 months or so until I find someplace else to live. I won't be out until November and fuck moving in the winter so there's that.

Total rent was $1,110 a month for a 1200 sq ft apartment. My share was $555 before other expenses. I'm not on the lease at all. I'm listed as an 'occupant' so breaking the lease is my roommate's responsibility. I can't afford a one bedroom in this complex. I either need to get a better paying job or just not spend any money to do that.

I would need to look in a 'not as nice' part of town for something I could afford. If I buy a house, though, the mortgage would probably be less money than an apartment and I build equity at the same time. That and I could have a room just for my music shit and I could display all my CDs on racks instead of storing them in boxes etc.

Personality wasn't an issue and he was traveling a lot so I had this place to myself about 70-80% of the time.

18. Eligos

Eligos Problem Yet to be Solved

Have you already considered subletting, Ozz?

19. The Ozzman

I'm the sublessor now haha. I could take over the lease and then find a roommate but I doubt I'll have any luck. As I stated above, I don't want to deal with a complete stranger. It takes someone with a personality similar to mine to put up with me which is why my current arrangement worked for over a year.

This really will give me an opportunity to get my spending under control and start saving to get a house or condo of my own because I'm tired of renting and essentially wasting money.

20. Firehead

Firehead CrusaderOfTheDowntrodden

I don't blame you for not wanting to go to an area with Hood-like qualities:Spin: because when you usually go below a certain $ amount, you usually end up getting what you pay for. Sadly, this comes from personal experience.:err:

Also, I strongly recommend this to anyone who reads this...do NOT rent from a privately-owned building. That means that the unit that you are renting out is part of a building that has been purchased by one person. He/she bought it outright from an association, they own it even though it may be a 'section' of apartments together, they are all individually owned.

So that building might very well be the only source of income for the owner. They might even live in their own unit in the building. That definitely means they will be deep in your shit if they choose to be. Mine happened to be an European hag in her early 60's (looked like she was pushing 80). She was constantly hanging around and pestering me about noise and cleaning. The place had many issues with the drains. I literally was watching a DVD one day when I heard a dripping noise, over the tv sound mind you...when I paused the movie and heard a lot of water spilling. I got up and turned the light to see that the kitchen sink was filling up with sewage water without me even using the sink for hours. :puke: I had to get a bucket and transfer the water to the bathtub to dump out. Sadly, that wasn't the only time that happened.

Even though that was beyond shit, I stayed there because it was close to my job and cheaper. When I say cheaper, really was all the shit I went through worth it for saving a stinking $50 a month? In retrospect, not really. If you put your mind to it, there really are a lot of ways to both blow and save money. It all depends on the mental energy you're willing to put into it.

It's also great that you have cool parents. Not everyone is so lucky. I've been on my own & paying my own way since 18. I don't want to think about all the shit jobs I've worked and rent I've paid in my life (easily six figures I'll never see again.) If your P's let you stay with them & not charge you much/at all then my experienced advice would be to live like a motherfucking shut-in for as long as you can and don't spend an unnecessary dime if you have to. Obviously I don't know you or your expenses but if you can make it a year and bank JUST the rent you were paying, then that'll be $6660 (praise Satan:Spin:) you can save, let alone anything else you can throw in. Trust me when I tell you that $10,000 goes a LONG WAY on a mortgage down payment.

Well, thanks for reading and good luck! Keep us informed!