This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The Winter Beer Report

Discussion in 'Kayo Dot' started by avi, Nov 15, 2002.

1. avi

avi W3RK3R

The advent of $10 off $40 purchases at ye local booze store has led me to sample many of the fine, fine winter beers this season. This is my report, so far.

[​IMG]
    Anchor - my absolute favorite beer, that I await every time it comes around. This years batch has a strong clove flavor with a touch of cinnamon, along with its usual pine taste.

[​IMG]
    Alaskan - I think this is my new favorite brewery, as all of their beers are really damn good. The winter brew has young spruce tips added and it's really nice. A touch lighter than the Anchor.

[​IMG]
    North Coast - pretty run-of-the-mill. Not bad, but not great.

more coming!

2. xfer

xfer I JERK OFF TO ARCTOPUS

"They keep ya warm."

[​IMG]

3. avi

avi W3RK3R

[​IMG]
    Pyramid - really nice on tap, pretty good in the bottle. I tend to think of it as the little brother to the Anchor, as it's very similar, but just slightly less distinguished. Same pine flavor, but less spice. If no Anchor is to be found, this is my back-up.

[​IMG]
    Alaskan Smoked Porter - very nice and dark with a pronounced smoky after taste. Probably not so hot in large quantities, but really nice with some smoked cheese. Another winner from Alaska!

4. xfer

xfer I JERK OFF TO ARCTOPUS

"Ah, more warm-juice!"

[​IMG]

5. deadair

deadair Overly-Cryptic Jake

i like pyramid

good beer co.

6. avi

avi W3RK3R

[​IMG]
    Wychwood Hobgoblin - more of a Halloween-themed beer, BevMo is blowing em out at $1.79 per 16.9 oz bottle. Damn! A really nice ale, reminds me a bit of Spaten. And organic, too.

also have the Wychwood Old Devil to try to tonight
    [​IMG]

(no pic)
    Affligem Noel - pricy but amazing. Seasonal belgian style beer with a definitely spice to its flavor. I sense nutmeg among other tastes.

7. avi

avi W3RK3R

to be tried in the future: Rogue, Sierra Nevada (maybe, I don't remember liking it in years previous), and maybe more.

I *heart* winter beers.

8. chupe666

chupe666 You may enter up to 25 ch

I've ALWAYS wanted to try the Alaskan Brewing stuff. Being in the midwest, we never get any of those. The Pyramid stuff I've had, but not the Snow Cap- it's on the list.

Schlafly has an ESB that's pretty good. Have yet to try it, but I WILL. Tried the Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale this yr, which is really good. The Barleywine Ale which comes out in a few months is really good too.

9. Nagle

Nagle poser, not guitarist

So far this year, I've only had the Sierra Nevada Celebration ale which I like. Almost bought Old Devil. I've got some catching up to do.

10. avi

avi W3RK3R

[​IMG]
    last night I had the Anderson Valley Booneville Winter Solstice beer. As with all beers from this brewery, it was a great value for the price - very nice and fairly inexpensive. The winter brew has a touch of spice, almost like gingerbread as beeradvocate.com says. I thought I tasted a bit of chocolate flavor, too as the flavor tends towards the sweeter side of things. I'm totally gonna be drinking more of this.

I'm not a fan of barley wine, so I won't be trying any of those. Too much strong alcohol flavor for my tastes.

11. chupe666

Hm. We can get the Anderson stuff in the midwest (at least I could in Chicago, don't know about St Louis yet), but it was more expensive than most- about $8.99 per 6-pak. The Pyramid was almost always cheaper, like $6.99- not sure why that is, since they generally come from similar regions, right?

Of the Anderson ones I tried, they were great- I think the ESB and a darker variety ale. I'll definitely look for this one though. Thanks for pointing these out! I LOVE seasonal brews.

Not too many great ones come out of the midwest that I know of. Goose Island may make a winter type beer, but I'm not really a big fan of their stuff. Unfortunately, one of the better ones imo (Lakefront, from Milwaukee) doesn't get shipped much further than Chicago I believe. I also have yet to try that Anchor Holiday one. Seen it many times, but the packaging always threw me a bit. I believe it's time to give into the temptation.

The Barleywine ales are a bit alcohol-y, but if you're not going anywhere, they're a good sipping beer while watching Christmas Vacation for the 159832th time.

[​IMG]

12. chupe666

BTW, I have a nice khaki button up shirt with that Alaskan Smoked Porter logo above the left pocket. Snazz.

13. avi

avi W3RK3R

That's crazy the Anderson is so expensive out there. It seems like it's always on sale around here. I guess having the brewery a couple hours away helps. Maybe winning some awards last year made them decide to get snooty. Pyramid's about the same price here as you get it for, even with a brewery about a mile away. It's not the central brewery, but I assume they brew a fair amt there.

I haven't seen any of those mid-west beers - I think I'd probably have to hunt for them a bit harder. Perhaps I'll try taking a closer look next time I go to the booze store.

14. chupe666

I got some of the Pyramid Snow Cap this past weekend, and tried one- damn good! Real nice clove flavor, with a nice hop taste. DIG IT. Passed up the Anderson one for now, since like I mentioned it was $2 more. I didn't get any of the Anchor yet, but I'll be trying it soon- do you usually pick up the 6-pak or the champagne-like bottle pictured?

I also overheard some knowledgeable guys talking about some different beers and they mentioned this one:
    http://www.epinions.com/content_2697502852
    http://www.ratebeer.com/ShowBeer.asp?BeerID=6245

It's supposed to be the rarest beer in the world, since the comapny only makes it on one day every year (December 6) and then age it for 10 months. It wasn't really that expensive, like $3.50 a bottle- but the guys said it was amazing. So I picked it up. Unfortunately, it's like 14% alcohol, so I'm not sure I'll like it (or you, since you mentioned not liking the Barleywines for their high alcohol content).
    Worth a shot, and it's only a few bucks.
    I'll be trying as many different ones as I can in the next couple months.
    [​IMG]

15. avi

avi W3RK3R

huh, that beer looks interesting - I bet if I convinced myself that it was liquor and not beer, I'd probably enjoy it better. At least I wouldn't try to chug it, as that seems a little innappropriate.

as for the anchor - I've never bought the magnum since once you open it you're committed to finishing it before it goes flat. I guess that might not be such a terrible thing depending on how you look at it.

16. chupe666

[​IMG]
    I tried the New Belgium Brewery's Frambozen last night. Usually I can't stand raspberry beers- they make me nauseous. But this one was actually really good. The raspberry flavor was more realistic and tart rather than sweet & nauseating. A deep ruby color, with the tartness of a hint of raspberry over a nice, brown ale. The bottle even says what temperature to serve it at (50 degrees F, 10 degrees C) and in a "worthy glass". Nice complex flavors, and I highly recommend trying that one.

[​IMG]
    Next, tried the Goose Island Christmas Ale- I usually have a problem with Goose Island beers in the bottle, and this one was sort of the same deal. It's a dark, heavier ale, but not much on flavor- other than the kind of burnt carmelized flavor darker beers sometimes have. It's okay, and the goose in the Santa hat is entertaining.

Also tried the Red Hook Winterhook Ale, which was more simplistic- it says robust winter ale on the label, but I didn't really think it was that different from their other beers (although I like their other beers, and they're especially cheap here- like $5.49 a 6-pak).

17. avi

avi W3RK3R

Haven't seen the Red Hook out here yet, but I'll check it out for sure. I don't think i can get it quite so cheap for a sixer, but I know I can get cases for cheap.

18. avi

avi W3RK3R

As I am now in the process of brewing my first batch of homebrew, it is my solemn duty to create enough empty bottles within 10 days for the new beer. A tough job, but someone's gotta do it.

And now, this weekend's winter beer report:

Red Hook - Winterhook
    Pleasant, slightly hoppy. Nothing too special, but still plenty nice.

Moylans Winter
    Very malty. In fact, it is a malt liquor beer. Interesting grain finish, but probably not something I'd want again.

Rogue Winter
    Nothing too special IMO, but a nice hoppy double-bock. Drank very easy.

(I am feeling the punishment this morning)

19. chupe666

Are you gonna use those screw bottles for capping? I thought they were hard to recap or something. I mean, I realize you can just screw them on, but in reading stuff about home brewing, I thought it said you should use the non-screw type if possible.

Let us know how the brewing goes, cuz I'm planning on getting a it real soon.

And I didn't really have any special new beers this weekend. Tried a couple New Belgium ales since I was surprised with the Frambozen one- a 1554 dark ale, which was really good, and their Abbey ale which is a Belgian Dubbel. Had a Snow Cap and need some of the Anchor still. Don't know if I'll be able to find the Rogue, but I'll look for it- their Hazelnut Brown is good I hear.

Last Thurs at the hockey game: BUD LIGHT and PEANUTS. MM MM GOOD. Something about being at a hockey game makes it okay to have BUD.

20. deadair

deadair Overly-Cryptic Jake

(eric getting brave at work)