This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The Work Thread

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Celestial-Todd, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

We seem to waste enough of our working hours on here, so I thought we may as well have an official/unofficial work related thread haha

(Vague cover for me looking for advice really)

I went for two job interviews this morning for fairly similar jobs. For once I walked out of both with high confidence of actually being offered the position... then it dawned on me, if I get offered both, I'm not sure which one to accept!

Let's weigh them up

Option 1

Shift "Computer Operator" for a large transaction processing company. Basically some help desk but mainly running batch jobs and making sure back-up procedures run correctly. Has three shifts, day (8am-4pm), afternoon (4pm-12am), night (12am-8am) that go in 8 week rosters. Would be working two weekends a month, with time-in-lieu or double pay (I would probably take the double pay).

Smart casual dress code (ie, business pants and polo shirt) and flexability with my working times, in otherwords, if I work one weekend, Monday, Tuesday to make up my 40 hours, I get the rest of the week off etc etc

In peak hour traffic it only takes 30 minutes to get to, 15 at any other time

Offering $45,000 p/a + super

Option 2

Nightshift Customer Service Representative for an website/email hosting company. Basic help desk support, mainly via email since the work hours are set at 11pm to 9am. 4 days on, 3 days off.... but this can fall over weekends.

Is based in the Sydney CBD, so it's an hour drive or even longer on the train. A good 15 minute walk from Central station (it's actually closer to Redfern, but I'm not walking through there at night)

Dress code is totally casual, walked in to be greeted by a guy in a t-shirt, shorts and thongs haha

Offering $45,000 p/a + super + bonuses

---------------------

My decision keeps swaying back and forward between them.... I'd rather work closer to home, but the CSR position is out of peak hour travel. They are both offering the same start-up rate but the CSR job is offering bonuses.... trade off, the CO job does more frequent pay reviews.

Both offer similar career progression opportunities

2. Falkor

Falkor J.B.C.M

I would personally take the first one, Sounds like it would be a bit more than just doing helpdesk stuff. Also the hours and the travel seem a lot better. Sounds like you'd have more responsibility etc.

Out of interest, whats your work experience like? You mainly been doing helpdesk stuff or do you have Sys Admin experience too?

3. Celestial-Todd

My current job is as the Database Administrator for Amber Tiles... although that makes it sound better then it is. I'm basically the helpdesk for the company coupled with data admin/entry for all of the stores pricing/debtor/supplier databases.

The CO hiring manager seemed pretty impressed with me... even said "I don't think you'll have to worry too much" at the end when they said there is four interviews for 2 spots. The helpdesk job seemed impressed that I have Linux knowledge (admittedly limited but it's better then nothing)

4. Awake_In_Animosity

Awake_In_Animosity Fearing a Blank Planet

Good thead Todd, Now that I finish up work tomorrow I am looking to change fields. Which is turning out to be more difficult than I first thought. I have being doing various different types of sales roles from B2B BDM, To media and advertising etc for the last 5 years or so, prior to that I have had a huge financial background.

There are some really great jobs out there, that are actully interesting. If I have to sell something over the phone again I am really going to loose it, hence the change. Infact if there is a phone involved with a job I dont think I will take it.

A couple of the positions I have applying for is product photography, catalogging and web uploading - this would be great for me I could work by myself, still involved in photogrpahy and getting some more experience at the same time. It will be interesting to see how the interview goes.

I am also still waiting to hear about the job at Camera Action as well, which has been delayed by a week for the final decision...YAY however this position would eb really great experiance as it would invlove all facets of photography from sales of gear, lab work and printing etc plus you would be working with PEOPLE!!!

Anyhoo enough of the rant, more updates as they come.

5. Celestial-Todd

Not trying to sound flippant, but are you facing a big pay cut to change careers like that?

It's one thing I've noticed is that when people do sudden career changes, they end up on alot less money for the "happiness" of a new job.

6. Awake_In_Animosity

Awake_In_Animosity Fearing a Blank Planet

Happiness costs you around 18k these days.

7. Rick

Rick Senior User

I'm going to help re-fit big W for the next 2 months, then maybe travel a bit, then probably join the army; head down some similar road, or see what opportunities lay before me.

8. Nebulous

Nebulous Daniel

Over the last two days, this thread's title would also read "the what REALLY pisses you off" thread.

9. Rick

Rick Senior User

10. Nebulous

Nebulous Daniel

Haha, I make no sense. Sorry about that.
    Bad start to the week at work.

11. Pethical

Pethical Tom

i'd take #1 todd, the 11pm-9am of number 2 + CBD commute headache don't sound like fun

12. Celestial-Todd

It's not the travel that would bite... I mean it's way out of peak hour (well heading in anyway). But a 10 hour shift overnight is a LONG time to be in an office alone (I would be rostered either with another person or on my own on certain nights).

I suppose the one thing I left out of #1 is that they are open 24x7x365. So there's a distinct possibility that I'd have to work public holidays but again, get time-in-lieu as compensation.

13. Coma1

Coma1 Member

I hope the work thread also means you can post crud about prior jobs you have had, aswell as ones you are applying for. Ill assume I can talk about previous jobs.

I used to be a lab assisstant for the Department of Primary Industries (dpi) formerly the Agricultural Research Institute. Now that it is the DPI it encompasses Farming, Fisheries, Mining amongst a few other portfolios that used to be seperate, it changed during an election campaign as cost cutting by the Howard Government, anyways, needless to say as a lab assisstant we had many varied jobs which sucked immensely.

Being an artist, the formulaic and repetitious work of being a lab assisstant was tiring and altogether very dull. The best it got was experimenting on the chemical consturction of onions to try and ascertain why certain onions behave the way they do, and what onion breeds would make you cry less, and what onions where sweeter and had the most sugar content.

So anyways, we had to test the pyruvate levels (the chemical that makes you cry), the acidity, and the sugar content of 5000 lot batches of onions. So we had several of the more popular breeds, at 5000 onions a piece meant we had the job of testing around 25,000 onions.

We had to cut them in half and dip them in wax to preserve them. They had to be numbered so that the taste testing would correlate with the scientific testing.

Thats right, taste testing 25,000 onions to determine which were better, fuck me thats harsh work. But also cutting up 25,000 onions makes for a bucketload of tears.

Then we had to use a press to crush the other half of the onions to get the juice form which to sample, more tears.

And from all this, bags of onions now should come with a sticker telling you their acidity, sugar level and pyruvate level on the bag. If they dont, then tell the shopkeeper i hate them.

I dont do this job anymore.

14. Celestial-Todd

15. JonBonJovi

JonBonJovi Titilate

Todd - Brian does 12hr shifts overnight with one person with 2hr travel each way!

16. Celestial-Todd

Yikes.... I think my mind is made up that if I get offered both, I'll accept the job at Silverwater. It's less travel, same pay and more opportunity.... plus I'm not locked into working nights ALL THE TIME

17. Goreripper

Goreripper Metal as fuck

Yeppers. I work nights 6pm to 6am. To get there I have to catch the train at 3.50pm and I don't get home until after 8, or on weekends after 9. Fun.

18. sadisticsatyr

sadisticsatyr Young Apprentice

Ive been offered night shifts before and immediately turned them down. Are they really worth it? I guess it depends on your individual lifestyle. Do you find it takes more of a toll on you physically than doing the average 9-5 hours?

19. Ebony~Veiled

Ebony~Veiled Member

I just had an interview for a lending officer position in the same bank i'm in now. The job is in Sydney CBD. I have a feeling i did good. I've been through this before and actually got offered the same position but the immigration suspended my work rights before i had the chance to commence it. I'm pretty excited about this. Better pay + I get to leave shithole Campsie!

20. Celestial-Todd

Still no word yet from either job, I hate waiting!