This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The Wretched Spawn guitar tone

Discussion in 'Neil Kernon - Auslander' started by fade_2_black, May 12, 2011.

1. fade_2_black

fade_2_black Member

Hi Neil,

I only just discovered you had a forum here when searching online for some info on Pat Obrien's Wretched Spawn guitar tone..

Man, what an amazing guitar sound. For me, I wouldn't normally consider this tone to be a conventionally 'nice' tone but for some reason, I really can't get over it. I know (at least a little) what was used from Pat's end but am extremely curious as to what you did at your end with mic selection and processing further down the track..

I have toured with Corpse as FOH engineer throughout Aus/NZ in 2009 and used your TWS tone as a reference point but have to admit I don't think I quite nailed it. Pat had the same rig and I ended up settling on a 57 and 509 - but wasn't quite there!

Any insight to what you did would be greatly appreciated!!

Johnny

2. NK

NK Complete Bastard

I used a 57 on a brand new Crate cab, containing what I would imagine were Celestion Vintage 30s, although it was impossible to tell. That's it. No external EQ for tracking - just Pat's amp (and hands of course). I mixed the record on an SSL 4000E. No additional processing.

3. GMFx

GMFx Member

Interesting enough this was something I was always wondering about. And the answer is simple - outstandingly good guitar player. crazy haha.

4. fade_2_black

fade_2_black Member

Thanks for replying, appreciate it!