This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

THESE ARE THEY - DISPOSING OF BETRAYERS

Discussion in 'These Are They' started by Novembers Paul, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Novembers Paul

[​IMG]

AVAILABLE SEPTEMBER 14th, 2010

Chicago's THESE ARE THEY will release its sophomore full-length album, "Disposing Of Betrayers", on September 14 on Unruly Sounds/The End Records. The CD was recorded at Belle City Sound in Racine, Wisconsin with producer Chris Wisco (MICHAEL ANGELO BATIO, DIRGE WITHIN, JUNGLE ROT) and mixed and mastered by Dan Swanö (HAIL OF BULLETS, EDGE OF SANITY, NIGHTINGALE) at Unisound in Örebro, Sweden.

The five-piece band began writing "Disposing Of Betrayers" soon after the 2009 release of the band's debut album, "Who Linger". THESE ARE THEY has increased speed, aggression, and power to create perhaps the strongest death metal release to come from the city of Chicago in years. Combining the classic style, with new elements and modern ideas, "Disposing Of Betrayers" is sure to impress even the most stubborn of death metal fans.

THESE ARE THEY pays tribute to death metal pioneers (and fellow Chicagoans) DEVASTATION with a cover of their classic track "Cranial Hemorrhage". Making this even more special, THESE ARE THEY invited original guitarist Erv Brautigam and vocalist Duane Rasmussen to join them on the recording. Erv created a blazing solo for the song (which was not part of the original track) and Duane lent his vocal talent, which became the first time key members of DEVASTATION have "reunited" in over 20 years.

Keeping with their Chicago pride, THESE ARE THEY has taken on Chicago's history rich with organized crime. The lyrics throughout "Disposing Of Betrayers" re-imagine events — all taken from factual newspaper articles — which still resonate throughout the city today. Some based in fact, some in fiction, but all for the fascination in the history of Chicago's lore.

"The process of writing this CD was quite unique," said vocalist Paul Kuhr. "We knew exactly where we needed to go musically. The lyrical subject matter had to be approached more carefully. Taking a topic like Chicago crime history, and still making it a death metal record, posed more of a challenge for Steve and me, who wrote all the lyrics. I think the crushing production, aggressive riffing and drumming, and the interesting topic all came together to create what I feel is an amazing recording. I'm quite proud of this one."

Guitarist Steve Nicholson added, "Growing up on the streets of Chicago, its 'underworld' was always present. The streets were tough. Shady characters were a part of life, and you knew who was friend or foe. The dangerous subject of this collection had to be approached with tact. Along with the brutal deliverance of the music, we feel the final result will 'massacre' the metal listener."

THESE ARE THEY is:

Paul Kuhr - Vocals
    Stephen Nicholson - Rhythm and Lead Guitar
    Justin Jurgevich - Rhythm Guitar
    Wiley Wells - Bass Guitar
    Sasha Horn - Drums

"Disposing Of Betrayers" track listing:

01. The Massacre
    02. Behind The Door
    03. The Sins Of My Brothers
    04. No Angels To Catch You
    05. By Phaeton's Design
    06. Cranial Hemorrhage
    07. La Mano Nera
    08. Evening Widows
    09. Disposal Of Betrayers

2. Rycher

Rycher Oskee Wow Wow!

Badass! I was just thinking about Chicago crime recently, as my wife & I have our family room/media room decorated with our favorite gangster movie posters (Scarface, The Godfather, etc.) I wanted to get some smaller posters of Chicago crime movies like The Untouchables for the hallway going into the room, but that won't happen until I get a job again.

I'm looking forward to hearing the new album. I've been meaning to grab the debut album to listen to while I'm doing some job searching at home. I'll have to toss it in my car for tomorrow's ride to a job interview.

3. STEVE NICHOLSON

4. STEVE NICHOLSON

5. STEVE NICHOLSON

6. STEVE NICHOLSON

7. STEVE NICHOLSON

8. STEVE NICHOLSON

9. STEVE NICHOLSON

10. great_kthulu

great_kthulu Greater Evil

cool, when are we gona here a song?

11. Novembers Paul

Hopefully soon, and possibly in the form of a video.

12. Srontgorrth

Srontgorrth Member

Holy shit, this sounds ridiculously awesome. Organized crime has always interested, especially thanks to my Forensic Science class.

The band promo shots looking fucking badass. I was excited at for the new album just because it was TAT, but now it's on another level!

13. PhlegethonVeins

PhlegethonVeins Autopsy Obsessed

Can't wait for it man. I can't believe I completely missed that you guys had a forum on here.

14. rushanne

rushanne Member

Any idea when the cd will be released? 14 September was the original date of release, but.........?

15. STEVE NICHOLSON

I understand that Metalzone has it in the Netherlands.

http://www.metalzone.be/

16. rushanne

rushanne Member

Okay, thanks a lot. I will order it immidiately

17. Rycher

Rycher Oskee Wow Wow!

I got the album last week, thanks to The End's 15% off sale. I have to say that this one just destroys the debut. I think the riffs are better, the songs are better, and the sound of the album is massive.

I love the Chicago mob theme. I haven't had much time to really sit down and read the lyrics, but it will be fun to plug a few words into Google and research some of the songs to see the events that inspired them.

The artwork and booklet is incredible as well. I keep getting a little freaked with how realistic the pictures of the guy with the plastic around his head look.

The hard work has paid off - this album just smokes!

18. STEVE NICHOLSON

Thanks Rycher. If you want to see more about Chicago's Early Gangland, check out our friend's page. My Al Capone Museum.
    http://www.myalcaponemuseum.com/

P.S. The dude in the Trunk is Sasha Horn.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP-g-UNmrH8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP-g-UNmrH8[/ame]

19. Pate

Pate Member

I just got the album. I liked Who Linger, but this one is great. Good work fellas.

20. Novembers Paul

Thanks Pate, That's our feelings on this CD as well! Spread the word, we need it! haha