This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Thoughts and advice please

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Goreripper, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Goreripper

Goreripper Metal as fuck

Hi guys, just looking for some thought and ideas on my Loud Online site. In October it will have been online for two years. If you guys haven't checked it out before, or even if you have, I'd appreciate it if you'd take a look, and let me know what your thoughts are. We've come about as far as we can with the level of advertising/revenue that we have been able to pin down (ie. none) and we once again got passed over for a major interview this week despite getting back to the promoter almost immediately. Also, what's the deal with building a following on Facebook? I've tried everything I could think of.

2. Robotman

Robotman Gun Kata

Hi Gore,

Not sure what to say, so some of this might seem slightly rambling. I tend to visit Loud whenever I come here and see a post by you and I click the link in your signature. I tend to glance over the reviews - but will read reviews of bands that I'm keen on (there's not a great deal of power/prog on there). I don't hang around for very long. That said, I was keen on the Apocalyptica Sydney review having just seen them in Melbourne tonight (just got home).

For promotion, I think facebook is where it's at. That said, there's a lot of digital noise about so information often gets lost. The more successful sites I think will have constant updates of facebook - they're in your face. We've got our show on facebook (www.facebook.com/screamingsymphony - prog/power metal radio) but tend to only 'chat' during the show so I'm not out there pushing the shit out of it every second minute. We tend to take the approach that we'd rather have 300 'likes' of people who actually like what we do rather than thousands of likes of people who really aren't that interested in the show. But this is also because of time (we have none outside of work and the actual work on the show takes all of our time).

As for being passed over for major interviews - I guess it depends on where you want Loud to be? This is just my take, but I'd rather be out there interviewing smaller, niche market bands (or bands that I totally love) than the bigger bands. We've been passed over with big name interviews early on (for some reason, promoters think that RRR is the bigger show yet their single metal show is on at 12am Monday whereas PBS (a station dedicated soully to music) has 5 metal based shows (all different) and has a bigger following. But that's just my slight whinge. So, on your site I'd rather read about bands that are great rather than bands that are big - also bands that have something to say and are not in their current promo cycle.

Just throwing out there, but there's a lot of content out there on the net. I know you've got some branding with Loud, but would it be better to take your site and join with something like Metal Obsession ? Just a suggestion - probably not the right one but my main complaint with MO is that there just isn't enough reviews (CDs) - you guys clearly do that.

Also, you would be aware of the hits you have and where they come from. You could try search engine optimisation (SEO).

Either way, I hope you get some good responses. And apologies for the random thoughts.

3. black_tooth_grin

black_tooth_grin www.anwarrizk.com

I've always enjoyed checking out the photos of shows your photographers shoot and reading live reviews.

My only gripe is the sites look. Perhaps change the look or outlay of the site? Visually, it doesn't pack any punch.

We (Metal Obsession) are currently using Wordpress for all our online features, music player, gig guide etc. It's a simple interface and is piss easy to use.

www.metalobsession.net

Facebook is good to keep regulars in the loop. It's essentially a large scale forum. Facebook is a great way to promote local and international shows, album launches etc. Sometimes it doesn't always work. However, if done correctly you'll get a good following and solid feedback. The great thing about Facebook is hyperlinking a band name or tour company in your posts (eg @Metallica are headlining @Soundwave Festival next year. Read all about it at @LOUDonline) Linking these bands, promoters and tour companies along with your site will get the attention of their followers and potentially get you new followers and readers of LOUD.

One thing you shouldn't do (and I'm sure you don't) is get angry and hurl abuse at punters for not going to shows and supporting publications and bands) To many times I've seen local bands, promoters and DJ's go down the path of TYPING EVERYTHING IN CAPITALS, AS IF THAT WILL GET PEOPLES ATTENTION.

Me and Mitch have realised that none of our contributors are interested in reviewing albums on Metal Obsession, well nothing that isn't a huge and constantly in your face. Mitch is sorely devoting his time to local releases. I occasionally review albums, but I haven't reviewed an album in a very, very long time. With my photography, music promotions, night club PR, graphic design work and day job. I rarely get time to scratch my ass. However, I should set time aside at least once a week to pump out a review or two.

We have a couple of new reviews, but we mainly stick to local releases now as everyone is pushing all the other shit and no one is bothering pushing the local stuff.

Me and Mitch are the only two people running Metal Obsession. I still do as many interviews as possible and orgnaise interviews with promoters, but a lot of contributors work through the day and most of the major acts (eg Soundwave artists) are early morning or midday.

Best thing to do is look at all avenues from multiple angles. Network your tits off and don't give up. The money we get from advertisements is going back to pay for site costs. We do this because we love doing it. We may not have all the time in the world, but we do the best we can. Don't give up!

4. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

My two cents:

The first thing I ask anyone doing a webzine is: Why should I care? What makes me want to go to YOUR site instead of someone else? What is LOUD doing differently to Metal Obsession or Screaming Symphony or Metal As Fuck or whatever? I'm a big fan of LOUD and obviously I know the work and heart you put into it, but if it wasn't me.... why should I care? What are you doing differently/better than everyone else?

With Facebook, it's easy to get lost in a sea of status updates and promo by everyone. The LAST thing you want to do is overdo the promotion, and like Anwar said, TYPING IN ALL CAPITALS BECAUSE IT'S SO IMPORTANT THAT YOU NEED TO PAY ATTENTION will get you unfriended/unliked by me in 2 seconds flat, and I know I'm not alone.

The LORD page is really successful right now (far more than this forum is now - wow, times have changed hey?) and we get a LOT of comments and likes and things like that. The reason is we like to run competitions, encourage people to share our updates and pics, etc. and in return they get cool stuff, maybe not necessarily make everything about your zine - sometimes it's a funny anecdote, or getting the opinion of people about something, or discussion of some event that will get people talking. The more people interact with your page, the higher the FB ranking system rates you and the more often it appears in people's feeds, and frankly if people see their friends commenting on something interesting, they're more likely to want to jump in and be a part of it as well.

Interacting with your audience is the key here. You just have to think about fresh ways to approach it.

As far as the site goes, I don't actually think it's too bad to be honest. I'd try and get more social integration into it, but it's more so getting traffic TO your site that's always the battle. Facebook is generally the way to do that for the most part, but look into SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) integration into your site. Not sure how it's put together and if it uses a CMS based system like Wordpress but there's a lot of good tools out there to help you get more hits.

Good luck!

5. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

I've been going to Loud since it was started. I like the content and the layout (though it could be jazzed up a bit, not that I have any specific suggestions).

On sites like yours I most want to see tour news and album/gig reviews. Interviews are a bonus; I'd only read an interview with a band I'm interested in, but would read a bit more widely with album/gig reviews.

I've noticed that some artists (Steel Panther and Sebastian Bach come to mind) will post links to reviews etc of their stuff, which then obviously get read by their fans and bring people to the relevant sites. So if you do write reviews, make sure the artists (or their facebook pages at least) know about it.

Then you've got the likes of Metal Hammer which post stuff every day. Doing that will remind people who follow you that you exist. Metal Obsession do competitions, which naturally bring people to the site.

Just looking at guest blog section as an example, could you make new entries (for them and anything else) appear on the main page so all the new content is there in front of the reader?

6. Bloopy

Bloopy Active Member

The only time I visit such sites is when the content coincides with a tour I'm interested in, and it gets linked on a music forum or Facebook. Do you post relevant things on Facebook event pages? As long as it comes across like you're just a fan who happens to have published something about the band, and you're not spamming every date of a tour.

If you write journals on Last.fm, you can use the 'Event' button to link gigs, and your journal gets displayed quite prominently on the event pages (it always calls it a review but that doesn't really matter). You could write a weekly Loud Online summary in a journal with "read more..." links to your website, and get it listed on dozens of event & artist pages just by mentioning those items.

7. Winmar

Just another thought - those top 10/50 (whatever e.g. guitarists, bands, albums of the 90s) lists often get people to visit sites they normally wouldn't, so perhaps you could try doing that sort of thing as well?

8. Lord Tim

But expect hate mail if you do that. ;)

9. Robotman

Robotman Gun Kata

Specifically from LT if he's not included :p

10. Lord Tim

HAHA! I swear, I haven't seen one of those lists yet where I'd feel comfortable being included on it. Just by being on there you'd attract the "herp derp why r dey on dere by nirvana cuz nirvana r betta n who r lrod anyway their dum n shit" comments. You really can't win!

11. Winmar

Yeah good point! They get people talking at least; I'm sure 158 Maiden Downunder threads have been started because of them. :)

There must be some that could have less of that sort of talk though - best gig venues across the country over the ages or something, and inviting people to share their experiences/opinions? I dunno, people seem to love to bitch about anything. Makes me want to cut the cord on the interweb sometimes.

12. black_tooth_grin

black_tooth_grin www.anwarrizk.com

Logical lists and questions are good. Best venues with sound/lighting or questions regarding the foreclosure of long running venues or perhaps the general consensus of the metal industry (how far its come, where its heading, new genres etc)...stuff like that.

You'll always get keyboard warriors who need to make their opinions stand out. Regardless of what you do to prevent these people from constantly barking negative comments, you'll always get fucktards in every avenue of life.

Touring season is fast approaching and picking up with pace. Better time than any to get new followers.

13. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg Master Exploder

Like some of the other guys, I am a fan of the site and my only real suggestion would be to update the look. No real suggestions on how to do that, but I think I prefer the layout of MetalObsession a little better, so perhaps Anwar's advice is the go!