This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

VCC 2.0

Discussion in 'Backline' started by derekmoffat, Jan 16, 2015.

1. derekmoffat

derekmoffat 608 STUDIOS

[​IMG]

"Dear VCC Customer,

Welcome to your sneak peak at the Virtual Console Collection 2.0, which will be available as a FREE update soon. Let me tell you about what's new!

The 'Brit 4k' is a model of a late 80's British mixing console. It's been a customer favorite and is perfect for adding that little bit of extra glue, punch, and width to the DAW's digital mixer. Well, after we released VCC back in 2010, we started to hear rumors around Los Angeles of a small early 80's "E" series British Console that was supposedly the most amazing sounding mixing desk in town. After some research and some good tips from a few friends, we found this famous little desk and I ran about five mixes through it and compared it to the DAW summed mixes. Wow is all I can say. This desk was incredible. It has a beautiful low end punch, but also really brought the lows together with a very unique glue. The low mids became thicker without sounding muddy. The midrange was more pronounced and transients were clearer and more articulate. Everything in the mix had more of its own space. The width increased and the mix became more exciting. And you can push into the mixbuss to get a beautiful aggression. So this is the new model on the VCC 2.0, called the 'Brit 4k E'! I can't wait for you all to experience it. Overall, it's got a bit more color and vibe than the current Brit 4k, but it is not as overwhelmingly colorful as some of the other models like the Brit N. I think you guys are going to love it. It's become my new go-to VCC model on my mixes.

Next, you'll notice that the GUI's have changed quite a lot! Everything is now available on the front panel. There are no submenus, and the grouping system is much easier and straightforward. You have an input and output trim, and a link switch. By pushing the input and attenuating the output, you'll achieve new types of saturation sounds that will have a different effect than the DRIVE parameter. Now, about that DRIVE parameter, it actually has an increased range so you can get even more color if you so desire!

Your'e going to notice a difference in the US-A Discrete model too. A friend wrote me saying "I have the hardware console and yours matches almost perfectly, except mine has a slightly bigger bottom". So we analyzed this particular desk and I really did like how the bottom was slightly thicker and a tad punchier, so after some thorough testing, we updated our US-A Discrete Algo and I think you'll really enjoy the result. It's a fairly subtle change, but one that I believe is for the better.

The RC-Tube has always been one of my favorite emulations and I use it on a lot of individual tracks for the unique effect that it creates. However, the condition of the original hardware reference, the RCA BC6B, was in fairly poor condition. Well, since the RC-Tube was first released, we were able to examine a mint condition unit, and I thought it had some subtle discrepancies which I really liked. So we applied some of these updates to the RC-Tube model, and you'll notice that it has a slightly warmer and richer low mid and low end. You're gonna love what it does to vocals, bass, and even on the mixbuss.

Because the VCC has been completely rewritten in our new framework, you're gonna see some serious reduction in CPU! While I can't give exact numbers yet, it's pretty significant! You'll also notice that we have a noise reduction button right on the front panel.

In conclusion, we're fixing last minute bugs so we can get this into beta, and then into your studios. Thanks so much for the patience and support. We've learned a lot over the past few years and I will always aim to improve, and you'll see a lot of those improvements executed in 2015. Happy Mixing! And please say hi to me at NAMM 2015, booth 6921!

Cheers,
    Steven Slate"

MUCHHH BETTER imo. Curious to hear that Brit 4k E!

2. He's Dead, Jim

As excited as I am for this, the more e-mails I receive from Steven Slate the more convinced I am that every time he describes one of his products, he's limited to a word bank that includes "punch," "width," "warmth," "clarity," and "glue." :lol:

That said, this looks killer and it seems much improved from the current version in terms of being able to access all the features in a logical way.

3. indecizo

indecizo Member

first page

4. EOC

EOC Member

i hope this update will work with VMR right away!

5. ibzrgtoffire

ibzrgtoffire Member

+1 !

6. jeid

jeid Terribad

Looks like it's styled for VMR

7. Ermz

Ermz ¯\(°_o)/¯

Ahh, VMR. Never thought we'd see 500-series in the box, but here it is.

Really excited for this. I've been a big VCC user for years, and the new model along with the dropped oversampling options are exciting. Oversampling used to drive me insane, with the subtle changes it made to the mix. I could never decide which option to roll with.

8. Clockwork

Clockwork Bass playing guy.

Looks cool, I rarely use VCC so maybe this will encourage me to work it into some mixes.

9. Machinated

Machinated Member

feel like I may miss the calibration knob for the mix bus. that really helps me find the sweet spot.

I know Steven didn't like the amount of options VCC 1 had so I understand.

EDIT: the input/ output will clearly take care of that, updates looking good!

10. LeSedna

LeSedna Mat or Mateo

^ as I understand it, the calibration was nothing else than the mirror equivalent of a trim plugin, with the input/output you should get rid of the problem !

I am super excited about it. I am curious about the special SSL model as well, although I might have preferred a Neve as I am always wondering if I should go for the Neve or not on tracks that didn't go through any kind of real saturation yet !

The 500 format was expected, he is obviously designing his plugins to fit into VMR one after the other. I'm guessing VTM is gonna follow as well as FGX which is under heavy recoding to AAX and 64 bit format already !

11. HOFX

HOFX Member

If Slate offered a bypass option, this could double as the trim plug.

Keen to hear the new desk and the updated US-A. The current US-A is the best on drums, makes them punch harder......with more width, depth, clarity and glue....

12. Machinated

Machinated Member

4k e should be awesome for rock, nice to have some different SSL colours. another neve or even EMI/neve would be incredible.

13. ~BURNY~

~BURNY~ Member

I officially have an erection.

14. ~BURNY~

~BURNY~ Member

Also you can say what you want about Slate controversial commercial practices, free major update is really nice.

15. Jan___

Jan___ Member

Man this looks so good! More excited about 64 bit FG-X but also REALLY looking forward to this update... bring it on Slate!

16. jeid

jeid Terribad

Neve is my favourite option on VCC, but I'm keen to hear the updated API and the new SSL.

17. Trevoire520

Trevoire520 Member

Yep:

18. HCL

HCL Holy Crap! Lions!

I have absolutely no problem with it being in VMR, if VMR still has the blurred out modules that you don't own when using VCC then this is a great way for Slate to bring attention to them and we get a free update, everybody wins.

19. Heabow

Heabow More cowbell!

Awesome update :)

20. Lozek

Lozek Member

Ok, I was literally just about to buy VCC. What's my best option here? Get it quick and hope I get the upgrade or wait?