This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Viking mythology and all that goes with it

Discussion in 'Amon Amarth' started by Celtik Militia, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Tyra

Tyra Member

Can you PM me with your e-mail, and I bet I can help you. I know I've got you fb, but I thik I lost all your e-mail stuff...

2. Erzebeth.Rouge

have you recieved it?

3. Tyra

Tyra Member

Yep, but I've been working pretty hard - we had about 1000 visitors to the haunted house that me and my friend Katie spent three days setting up last week. Now I'm still taking it down and trying to get other work done. Going to some swag dinner thing tomorrow, but I'll get on it as soon as I can. /T

4. Erzebeth.Rouge

Its alright, take your time, i was just wondering :p Theres absolutely no hurry on this one anyway

So it was a busy night! Do you have pictures!? sounds impressive!!!

5. Tyra

Tyra Member

It was an awesome night! We made over 1700 bucks, had well over 600 visitors. I made both papers this year and we freaked out so many people so badly. nobody crapped their pants this year like last year though... We made them scream really loud, however!

6. Erzebeth.Rouge

Thats so great!!! You should record their scream and use them the next year hehe
    Does the money you made (how anyway!!??) gonna finance next halloween ?

7. Tyra

Tyra Member

Any pårofit goes into the museum for whatever we need, like my wages, next Halloween, educational materails, research etc. It all helps a bit, even if it's "only" $1700. Some events aren't as much fun as this one, though. It's interesting, too, to stop and consider what you're doing and what it is that we're really celebrating as you're decorating this historic house with a multitude of skeletons, some of which are feasting on night crawlers, eyeballs, rats and bones, while others are part of the props for our Dr Jekyll. We even have a real coffin (not a prop coffin, but the real thing, weighs lead) that we usually make someone lie in and scare the hell out of people. This year I amde a costume that made my face blacked out, so you could not tell if I was human or not. That feaked out the kids like you wouldn't believe it. Nothing like coming face to face with an apparition in the dark in a haunted house that supposedly has a real ghost in it even when it's not Halloween...

8. Erzebeth.Rouge

hehehe I like that! Have you seen the ghost yourself? or felt it?
    What is this museum?

9. Bates

Bates Swamp Yankee

Yes, what is this museum? Now I'm feeling nosy. :)

10. VikingMan

VikingMan Member

So I'm trying to read the Edda poems but i could understand nothing, does anybody know a good book that relates the Edda in a simpler way??

11. Tyra

Tyra Member

So I'm guessing you're reading the Poetic Edda? How about starting with the Prose Edda? The Edda is not one book, it's two, and yes, one is difficult!

12. Celtik Militia

Celtik Militia Dumb French Bastard

As Tyra said, you should start with the Prose Edda before the Poetic Edda. But I'd recommend you read something that explains and summarizes norse mythology before reading the actual texts. Then you read the translated texts but the book should have notes because obviously with all the kennings (sort of metaphores) and such you'll have difficulties understanding what's going on.

13. strangeillusion

This thread is awesome I'm gonna bookmark this. Btw, are there any good viking-themed/norse mythology movies?? So far I have seen Pathfinder and The 13th Warrior.. I hated Pathfinder, portrayed Vikings in a bad way.

14. Celtik Militia

Celtik Militia Dumb French Bastard

Apparently there are some good Icelandic movies about Vikings, but obviously they are hard to get if you're not Scandinavian.

The recent danish film Valhalla Rising is pretty good IMO, but somewhat hard to grasp. Yet I liked the beginning which pictured the tension between pagans and christians, and the general harsh feel of the film.

Think all you want about Mel Gibson, but he's a great filmmaker and wanted to make a film about vikings, in old Norse (like his work in Apocalypto and The Passion), but the latest news I heard was that it was pretty much canceled because of the latest scandal with his aggressive phone conversation with his girlfriend or whatever which pretty much ruined his career or something... I hope he'll still make the movie because I'm sure he can do something great.

15. strangeillusion

Thanks for the recommendation, I will check out Valhalla Rising. Yes, Mel Gibson can do justice in making a brilliant film on Norse Mythology IMO, too bad he had to cancel the project.

16. VikingMan

VikingMan Member

in the song "For Victory Or Death" there's :
    Raise the flag once more
    in the east the eagle will be fed
    we will march to war
    for victrory or death

does anyone know the meaning of "in the east the eagle will be fed"?
    I searched a lot over the internet but couldn't find something that satisfies my curiosity :D

17. Sidnapolis

Sidnapolis New Metal Member

just a random guess, but I think it just means there will be bloodshed from warfare in the east...didn't the Swedish vikings travel east, to the Byzantine Empire and Russia, etc?

18. VikingMan

VikingMan Member

yeah maybe, but i don't see the meaning of an eagle!!

19. PowerBlade

PowerBlade Member

Yeah they did indeed travel east through the Baltic Sea, then went up/down the rivers. Anyway it's a good guess, better than anything I can come up with

Yeah the eagle is confusing =/

20. Brisantni

Brisantni Member

Hmm, maybe blóðörn, the blood eagle, is meant?