This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

vocals and mastering?

Discussion in 'Toproom Studio' started by ErikSL, Nov 29, 2009.

1. ErikSL

ErikSL groove junkie

Some questions about mixing vocals:

How do you achieve the right "thickness"? Should you always layer them? What compression settings do you use? And do you compress during the takes, or in post?

Mastering:

Is there a good process to have the gain and mix quality equally balanced in different sources? I know you use steinberg software, do you know of any helpful VST plug ins?

Any advice would be great on those two aspects. Thanks

2. Mixerman

Mixerman New Metal Member

During the backingvocals, I allways dub them. Sometimes I dub the lead, but thats not so commom in my productions. I realy like that the lead stand out without dubbing. I use compression during tracking, about 4:1, slow attack and relase.. Just to make sure that the convertor dont clip. During the mix, I can use 8:1 and faster attack and relase. I use 1176 compressor on the vocal. Sometimes the SSL bus compressor. I love the 1176!
    I am not a mastring engineer, I send my mixes to people who are experts in mastering. If I do a mastering, I use a 2-1176 stereo-compressor, the ME loadness maximizer or a SSL bus compressor. I dont think steinberg have a "must have" compressor... I really like the waves SSL, API and the V-series plug-ins.

Børge

3. ErikSL

ErikSL groove junkie

thank you very much. very helpful.

4. Dom Ostarig

Dom Ostarig Member

"SSL bus compressor" you mean that waves plugin??

5. Mixerman

Mixerman New Metal Member

Both! But the Waves plug-in will give You 90%. No one will hear the different. Try to use it for the overheadtracks as well! Fast relase and attack.

Børge

6. Dom Ostarig

Dom Ostarig Member

Thank you for the tip!! I really love that compressor, but i never tried on OH tracks.