This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Vocals are not thick enough...Need Tips

Discussion in 'F.O.H.' started by CharlesMonroe1989, Sep 15, 2011.

1. CharlesMonroe1989

Hey Guys,

I'm in a band called "skullcrusher" and we just recorded our new album. But the vocals do now sound very different to those who can be heard on our ep recordings: www.myspace.com/skullcrusheronline

These are the old tracks and we liked the vocal tone very much and now we got this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17151953/Thilo%20J%C3%A4ger/Skullcrusher%20-%20Clean%20Slate%20%28Rough%20Mix%20%26%20No%20Mastering%21%29.mp3

I dont think that the voice of our singer changed that much... Can somebody tell me what the producer did? why doesnt it sound like before?

greets

2. Mago

Mago Austrian Blech Machine

Well, first of all I think the vocals are mixed louder in the older one.
    To me it also sounds like that the vocalist growled a bit deeper on the older one, and does it slightly higher on the newer one.
    A bit more bass/low mids on the older one too I think, but the vocals have more space in it then in the newer one...hard to tell over myspace though
    Since the newer mix is a bit fuller maybe the producer cut some bass from to vocals to have more space for the rest. Kick has a lot of bass for example, can barely hear the bass guitar.
    But its a nice mix I think overall. vocals could use a bit more body maybe.
    my .02c

3. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Member

Seems like your vocalist has weak breathing technique at least in this new song. I mean his lungs empty from screaming only one word. Vocals are the kind of recording that can't be rescued with EQ/compression since vocal agressiveness has nothing to do with either... so if this was my recording I'd re-record the vocals. If that's not an option I suggest you guys compress the s**t out of those tracks and add some distortion maybe? But it won't sound as good as real agressive growls...