This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Wacken 2005 - Stuff it! Im going!

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Aussie_Metalchild, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Natasha

Natasha Kiss me, I'm Metal!

ok that's it... I'm going to have to pitch my tent in front of the stages now...

Sentenced :worship:

oh and FYI:

Sentenced are calling it quits after this summer tour to promote their last album - Funeral (i think it's called)

2. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

When is this new album due out, Nat? Any clue?

3. Natasha

They're just saying May-basically in time to tour over the summer

4. Stonewall

Stonewall Lust for Freedom

Nat? I seem to remember you touching on this sometime before in a long lost thread, but what are some of the best options for getting around europe by train?

5. Goreripper

Goreripper Metal as fuck

Isn't there a Europass or something like that? Like you buy a ticket from Point A to Point B, and you can get off anywhere you like in between and get the next train or something? Or did I just make that up?

6. JonBonJovi

JonBonJovi Titilate

Yes you are kinda right.
    You buy a Eurail pass for a certain length of time depends on the length to the cost.
    This alows you to travel on the Eurail train at any time for any length within said time period.

7. Stonewall

So if I got one good for say a month, I could get on 50 Eurail trains or 5 and it would cost me the same? And do the Eurail trains only connect countries or do they involve some of the local train networks as well?

8. Natasha

ok this is a lengthy question as to how it works...

I'll try and give u just the basics here.

1. Eurrail tickets can only be purchased outside of Europe last time I checked.

2. There are so many: consecutive tickets which cover all the trains in the Eurrail network-17 countries (Eastern Europe not included); passes for just one country; and passes which are for a certain amount of days (non consecutive possible) which cover 3, 4 or 5 selected adjoining countries.

Before you decide on the right ticket for you, you need a good idea of where you want to go, for how long and what you want to do.

3. Basically it works on a day basis. The day your ticket is valid you can travel on just about any train in any country covered by your ticket for as long as you wish without extra cost. If you wish to reserve a seat (sometimes strongly suggested) it was Euro10.40 last summer. I wouldn't suggest trying an overnight train without a reservation and for a surcharge of about Euro30 you can get a couchette bed (cabin with 3-5 other people) which is a great way to travel between cities over 6 hours apart. And if you get a night train after 7 pm I think (or is it 8) you don't have to date your pass until the next day giving you 12 or so hours for free ...

4. If there are 2 or more of you, it's much cheaper to combine your tickets but this is only possible if you'll be travelling together all the time.

5. The pass covers international, national, regional and suburban trains, ferries (they're actually ships by our standard) and I think now they even cover metro/underground, nd tram and bus networks.

There's a Rail Pass agent in Australia. Give them a call and they can send you all the brochures and hopefully the timetable which doesn't change much from year to year - it's really good. It provides the major cities trains in alpha order by city like trains from Geneva to Hamburg, Barcelona to Paris, Salzburg to Munich, etc (but just make sure you know the international names for the cities (Vienna is actually Wien).

I love travelling by train...I've always got my face plastered to the window like a kid. Some country's networks even feed you :headbang:

Here's the website fmi www.railplus.com.au

I haven't bought directly from these people because I've always got a better deal through YHA www.yha.com.au because they do a Eurrail/travel insurance deal and unlike most insurances, the one offered by QBE makes you wait only 12 hours after lost baggage before you can claim emergency supplies instead of 24 like the rest...and trust me, the first thing you wanna do after that long journey is have a shower...my first OS trip, my baggage was left on the tarmac at a connecting country :Smug: Avoid Charles de Gaul airport at all costs! :D

There is also another option to the Eurrail - Busabout Europe, but I don't have any info on that. There info on the costs on the YHA site under international travel

hope that's help you...

9. Stonewall

Awesome, thanks for the info Nat. I have done a fair bit of looking around since I asked the question and had come across a fair few of the answers I wanted, but it is good to hear it from someone who has used the rail networks over there.

Some of the things I have found.

- You can get the passes in Europe, but extremely few places have them and they cost a lot more.
    - Getting a consecutive pass that lasts a month basically means you are paying an average of $30 a day (2 month pass = about $20 a day) travel regardless of how much you use it.

I haven't come across anything about them covering suburban transport, but if that is the case it seems like even better value.

I'm not quite sure of how long I will be in Europe (a month and a half at this stage) and where specifically I will be going (apart from Belgium, France and Switzerland) so it may in the end work out to be better value buying individual tickets.

However, there are quite a few scenic trains shown on the Eurail website ( www.eurail.com ) that look very cool, and they are as far apart as Norway and Switzerland/Italy. Basically I like the idea of getting about on train with a fair amount of freedom, but until I have more idea on what exactly I am doing, it is going to be hard to say whether a pass might be better value than individual tickets.

And as for avoiding Charles de Gaulle, no chance I'm afraid. I'm flying in and out from Paris. What's its downfall and what's your horror story from there?

Any other advice for getting about Europe?

10. Natasha

flying AirFrance, huh? We were lucky - awesome flight, awesome crew and great plane. Immigration was understaffed and we were stuck for at least 1 hour in a non airconditioned, non ventilated room in about 30 degree heat surrounded by smokers when we landed therefore we missed our connecting flight to Sweden hence our baggage being left of the tarmac.

And, I believe the metal musos in Europe have had there fair share or horrors in that airport (not to mention the recent concrete collapsing roof). From stories that were told include, the drummer's bag being lost (the only one NOT black) and having to borrow clothes from fellow band members and one of the Edguys told Greg Kai Hansen's custom guitar AND roadcase has been snapped in two :Smug:

that's enough for me

Here's the Die Bahn website where you can find the standard cost for a train ticket between any stations in Germany. Also great timetable for the smaller towns.
    http://www.bahn.de/-S:PtVORd:dvOC79.../int_guest/subhome/international_guests.shtml

the first year I went, I was there 6.5 weeks and travelling to a different city every 2-3 days covering 5 countries in 1 month , so the consecutive was definitely worth it. But, if you're planning to stay in a place in places longer it might be worthwhile working out a cheaper ticket...

Last year I was there for same period but opted for the 10 days 3 country select pass which worked out much cheaper-but I had a fairly definite itinerary.

hmmm tips for Europe haha where do I start?
    Firstly, don't rely on anyone in France being able to speak English-most will say they don't even if they do because they think we're English or American. Maybe have a not so subtle Aussie flag on your backpack or something and they might be nicer to you. I've been to Paris twice but still don't really know it because both times wasn't given to opportunity to cover it by foot.

The stories are endless really, so not to bore people here, you can PM or email me any questions if you like.

When are you going?

11. Stonewall

I am going in the middle of June and coming home towards the end of July. I think the consectutive ticket may be well worth it for me as I don't plan to stop for more than a few days anywhere, although at this stage the only countries I know that I will definitely be going to are France, Belgium (for Graspop) and Switzerland.

I am looking forward to going to Paris, and will probably have the longest time there, as circumstances mean I will be there 3 times over the trip. I intend to do a lot of walking there, and everywhere else for that matter.

And as for boring other people on the forum, I don't think that's the case, I always found it really interesting hearing about the other guys trips.

12. Natasha

So we'll just miss each other.

Paris is lovely but I've only done the real touristy stuff. The Baton Rouge is worth the trip and make sure you don't miss out on Sacre Coeur. You're not allowed to take photos inside but I snuck one on my digital without a flash while sitting in a pew...they're really strict so be cunning ;)

Pigalle is a lovely area. Even found a really nice cafe owner who not only spoke English, but was really friendly as well :lol:

Virgin Megastore of the Champs Elysee had an awesome metal collection - probably the best I saw in all of Europe.

www.metaltravelguide.com if you're interested in any of the metal bars, festivals etc

The first time I stayed in Montmatre - 2 blocks from Moulin Rouge and 2 blocks from Elysee Montmatre where Nightwish were playing that night ;) and it's a lively place at night just like the Cross :D

I'd like to go back sometime and do Paris properly.

ONE BIG TIP - the Lonely Planet guides are worth the price and weight of carrying them around

13. Stonewall

I have already got my Belgium Lonely Planet guide on order. Not surprisingly no one in town seemed to have it in stock, and i will see what else I can get my hands on before I go.

14. chrisvp

chrisvp Member

The first time I stayed in Montmatre - 2 blocks from Moulin Rouge and 2 blocks from Elysee Montmatre where Nightwish were playing that night and it's a lively place at night just like the Cross

Nat , thats the place we played at when we were in Paris , very nice venue , kinda has that old classic era style to it :)
    The rest of that area is apart from the Sacre Coure and the artists commune was kinda dodgy in that area , I hope to see more of Paris in the future though.
    My Eurail advice , dont waste it on local train services , and also buy yourself food from Aldi if you are budget concious because the cost of a normal salad that was drowning in mayo back when I went was 12 marks , now that it is thew Euro my assumptions would be that it could be more expensive .
    You could be lucky when travelling with a few people and not have your ticket stamped as well , it happened for me when we were going to Hamburg from Frankfurt and luckily for Jack , he could use my ticket to get to the Australian consulate in Berlin because his passport was lost , not his fault , but thats another story all together.

15. Stonewall

Cool, I had planned on doing a lot of my eating from the supermarket....

When you say not to waste a Eurail pass on local trains, what sort of pass did you have?

16. chrisvp

chrisvp Member

supermarket food is good , especially when the beer is good and cheap from thy supermarket as well :)
    Its better to buy a local ticket instead of using the Eurail pass for example , if you were only to travel locally around in a selected city one day , you would find instead of getting the Eurail pass stamped , it would probably be cheaper to just buy a daily pass from the train station .
    If not then for sure use the Eurail pass if only shooting through or getting on another train that gets you to the next country etc :)
    Best thing is , you can drink beer on the train as well , thats special :)

17. Natasha

Yeah what Chris said :D
    Hey, Chris, yeah I remember reading you tour diary just before we arrived in Paris and was chuffed I got to see where you played. It reminds me of old-world vaudeville theatres like you said. Like a non-renovated version of the set of the movie Moulin Rouge...maybe what the real one would have looked like inside without renovations?

But if you've got a consecutive Eurail pass it won't make much difference. I'm assuming Chris had the non consecutive Select Eurail pass?

Bread in Germany is delicious and there a plenty of fresh bakeries for fresh pretzels and cakes which are cheap. The cheapest beer we bought my father was in a supermarket in Vienna for Euro 0.47 for 500 ml can! How cheap is that?

I don't think there are Aldis in the 3 countries you've mentioned, but in Germany they're not that close to city centres except in Munich-there is one just on the other side of Hauptbahnhof (Central station) to the main city.

One thing you will find in most cities are department stores with food departments much like David Jones in Sydney BUT you can get good priced fresh food. Most have a great salad bar which is sold by weight. And, I dont know, it could be just me, but the salads always taste so good over there. It's like they go for taste rather health with their range. Maybe it's just that my body craves nutrition after a while. I'm not much of a sandwich/bread person so get bored of it as a staple very quickly.

The supermarkets in Germany have a great range of premade salads but they are heavy on the mayo. In Paris we weren't too far from a supermarket in Montmatre and that was a good and cheap place to buy the essential French pastry breakfast.

I'm yet to try a French bowl of coffee, tho :(

Beware of food hygiene there if you have a sensitive stomach-their fridges might as well just be cupboards, they're that warm and most sandwiches are premade from the morning, so unless you get it really early from the street cafe and eat it straight away, I'd stay right away from them on hot days-been there, done that :D

oh and say goodbye to cold beers-even when you ask for a COLD beer in a bar/restaurant they're not cold at all and it's a bitch when it's a stinking 35 degree day and you're just dying for a cold beer (and i don't drink beer normally). The waitress had to bring me ice LOL

One of my friends thought he'd been sent to heaven when he walked into a Swiss supermarket. Apparently eveything was sparkling. The shelves neatly stocked. No obstacles in the aisles and polished floorboards :lol:

and re Chris's point on drinking beer on the train, if you can stock up a picnic of beer and food from the supermarket away from the station if you can before you long trips. There are some supermarkets at the central stations, but they are smaller, have less variety and at times are more expensive. As a last option, buy food from the hot or cold food stands at the station before you trip. The train food on the InterCity Express trains and overnight trains are pricey.

But the people who walk around with carts on the German regional trains have cheap cooooffffeeeeee :D and rolls/sandwiches

...get the feeling all I do is eat and shop in Europe? :lol:

18. Stonewall

Thanks Nat and Chris, I'm loving all this advice. As for no Aldi's in those 3 countries I'm not too fussed, any supermarket of a decent size I'd guess would be reasonably priced. That reminds me, we had an Aldi open in Bendigo recently, haven't been yet.

Interesting point on the fridges Nat, i'll bear that in mind, thanks.

And train food is expensive anywhere, like cinema food.

Ice in beer? eek, do whatever it takes to make it cold though...

that picnic idea is a great one too, i'm hoping to always have room in my bag for plenty of food :) mmmm, food!

One thing that I have been wondering, is the average price of bottled water, say from a supermarket in 1L or 1.5L bottles? Am I right in thinking you can't drink much tap water in Europe?

19. chrisvp

chrisvp Member

If you are in Hamburg , do not drink the water , I did back in 2000 and when I was onstage at Wacken I had to walk around very slowly , the bowels were sensitive and I was cursed :(

20. Natasha

Maybe 10 years ago, but I remember hearing/reading somewhere that if a country wishes to become part of the European Union, one of the basic requirements is to have drinking water running thru their plumbing. I'm not sure how accurate that is.

Anyway, in most countries there no problems.
    Bottled water is pretty cheap because everyone still drinks that instead of tap (wall) water even tho there's nothing wrong with it. But if you're going to Italy, stick to the bottled stuff. They claim their water is good, but I had trouble in either Florence or Naples (or both). If budget conscious, grab a packet of Puritabs before you leave Australia and put that in the tap water.

You can buy a 1.5L bottle for as little as Euro0.50 in a supermarket, BUT it's all mineral water and there's still and sparkling. Not sure about the other countries but Germany has a bottle deposit system.

Ah, the Aldi's are good novelty value for the German lollies-Gummi bears mmmm

ONE MAJOR THING i forgot
    Paris rail stations are really dangerous in terms of luggage and personal item security. There are a lot of shifty characters just hanging around. They say this more for women, but I'd say it applies to anyone-avoid eye contact with everyone (except of course the uniformed staff if you need to speak with them).

If you wish to leave any luggage in the Paris train station facilities, be ready to go through the whole airport security check including x-ray machines. I remember Gare de Nord was a nightmare.