This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Wacken 2005 - Stuff it! Im going!

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Aussie_Metalchild, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Natasha

Natasha Kiss me, I'm Metal!

Maybe 10 years ago, but I remember hearing/reading somewhere that if a country wishes to become part of the European Union, one of the basic requirements is to have drinking water running thru their plumbing. I'm not sure how accurate that is.

Anyway, in most countries there no problems.
    Bottled water is pretty cheap because everyone still drinks that instead of tap (wall) water even tho there's nothing wrong with it. But if you're going to Italy, stick to the bottled stuff. They claim their water is good, but I had trouble in either Florence or Naples (or both). If budget conscious, grab a packet of Puritabs before you leave Australia and put that in the tap water.

You can buy a 1.5L bottle for as little as Euro0.50 in a supermarket, BUT it's all mineral water and there's still and sparkling. Not sure about the other countries but Germany has a bottle deposit system.

Ah, the Aldi's are good novelty value for the German lollies-Gummi bears mmmm

ONE MAJOR THING i forgot
    Paris rail stations are really dangerous in terms of luggage and personal item security. There are a lot of shifty characters just hanging around. They say this more for women, but I'd say it applies to anyone-avoid eye contact with everyone (except of course the uniformed staff if you need to speak with them).

If you wish to leave any luggage in the Paris train station facilities, be ready to go through the whole airport security check including x-ray machines. I remember Gare de Nord was a nightmare.

2. maiL huma

maiL huma Collingwood forever

Always, always, always check the price of actually buying a ticket as opposed to blindly using your Eurail pass. Sometimes buying a ticket will be way cheaper than what the average journey cost of your rail pass will be. Also bear in mind if you're taking an overnight train you'll get slugged for two days on your Eurail, even though it's one journey.

I try not to take night trains when I'm travelling Europe though - sometimes it's inevitable, but I love rail travel and you always get to see so much of the country that you miss out on if it's dark.

I've travelled Europe once on Eurail and twice without, and I'd say I've spent the same amount on trains each time. Having the surity of the rail pass can be a godsend though - just always make sure to buy your suppliment beforehand.

3. Natasha

to avoid this make sure your overnight trains leaves after (I think it's) 1930 (but check the Eurail site) then you only need one day and you use the following day's date basically giving you an extra 12 of so hours of travel

BTW Kreator's just been added to Wacken 2005

4. Stonewall

Stonewall Lust for Freedom

Yeah, from what I remember it is 7pm or 7:30. But does that 2 days of travel only refer to a non-consectutive pass?

I'm excited, Dark Tranquillity have just been added to the Graspop line-up \m/

Welcome back to the forum Liam, thanks for the advice. What is the suppliment you speak of? Do you mean paying extra for reserving a seat on trains, or some of the scenic/special trains, or somewhere to sleep on a night train?

5. Natasha

Um if I understand your question correcty, it wouldn't affect the consecutive pass, because you start at a date and it just runs for the whole month. It's on the non consecutive passes where you must fill in the date you are travelling on your ticket yourself. I'm yet to be on a train where there hasn't been a conductor. But I didn't fill it in until they arrived anyway because most of the time I had no idea what the date was. Just have a pen to make it look like you had every intention to fill it out (this is just for the non consecutive one) ;)

oh and did you understand that bit about 'validation' because I didn't the first time and has already travelled overnight before my pass was validated? :lol:

Basically you just need to line up at a reservations counter (or it might be something different in Paris-they're customer services standards are obviously not as good lol) and from what I remember, they just stick a great wopping stamp on it hahaha and you're suppose to do that before you get on a train :Smug:

I think Liam means to supplement you pay for the reservation and/or couchette

(city) Cards, e.g. Paris Card, Salzburg Card etc.
    Have you read about these?
    Others (Stephen? Liam? Chris? anyone else?) might be able to give input for this as well, but my experience was they weren't worth the money for a 1 or 2 day - for me.

They cover most of the city's museums and local transport plus some other things but I found you'd be lucky if you could do 2 museums in one day and I preferred to walk around the city on my way to whereever I was going to really see the city. Plus I found the bus routes/trams routes mostly confusing :erk: (just take this with a grain of salt because I don't have problems walking for 11 hours at a time)

I should get my finger out and start getting quotes for flights altho all my quick net searches have told me the cheapest seems to be Austrian/Lauda Airlines at the moment which isn't a bad thing.

6. Natasha

ah fuck ya! hahah

you get Malmsteen and Lacuna Coil :yell:

2 bands I missed when I'm in Europe - Rhapsody and Lacuna Coil :Smug:

7. Natasha

:OMG: oh mY god!!! :OMG:

HANOI FUCKING ROCKS have just been added

8. Stonewall

Yeah, I understand that the first time you validate a Eurail pass it is at a station before you get on the train, but each time after that you simply board the train...
    Or does the validation for normal one-way tickets also have to be done before you get on the train? (that would seem silly)

I have already reconciled to myself that I will be doing a lot of walking in Europe, i'm used to it so it won't be a huge problem, and like you say, it is a good way to see a place.

And yes the Graspop line-up is indeed shaping up to be completely awesome. Just to rub it in...

IRON MAIDEN
    DREAM THEATER
    SLAYER
    ACCEPT
    DIO
    NEVERMORE
    DARK TRANQUILLITY
    GRAVE DIGGER
    SYSTEM OF A DOWN
    IN FLAMES
    WITHIN TEMPTATION
    LACUNA COIL
    SUICIDAL TENDENCIES
    YNGWIE MALMSTEEN
    MADBALL
    METAL CHURCH
    CALIBAN
    H20
    MURPHY'S LAW
    IMMOLATION
    SAMAEL
    CHIMAIRA
    ENSLAVED
    AXEL RUDI PELL
    BEHEMOTH
    AMON AMARTH
    OCEANS OF SADNESS
    BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE
    NUCLEAR ASSAULT
    PRIMAL FEAR
    SOILWORK

9. maiL huma

maiL huma Collingwood forever

Yah, but I seem to remember needing one just for a goddamn seat on some trains. The ticket collecters would not always accept just a plain old Eurail pass, they would ask for a suppliment as well - Italy in particular, although this was probably a rort.

I've never bought or used one, they always seem to cater for the "mega-tourist", whereby if you plan to have a single day where you don't do anything and don't visit 54 museums using 38 modes of transport you'll be wasting the money you spent on the card.

10. Natasha

yeah we had problems with the Italians as well :bah:

2 more bands have been added to the Wacken line-up
    DRAGONFORCE
    WITHIN TEMPTATION

11. xpet

xpet Mummy

hi Nat...
    got a completely different question - do I have to become a premium member here to use the search function? :confused: When I try to search for something it says "search has been disabled" :confused:
    aaaaaahhhhhh :yuk:
    anyway I´m looking for that thread I started years ago where I was looking for new locations for the Metal Travel Guide, should be in General discussion I think. Some guy from an US magazine wants to write something about my page and needs background info, so I wanted to check if there is something interesting in that thread...
    I didn´t start too many threads here at Ultimate Metal so it can´t be too difficult to find it. So can anyone (who is able to use the search function) me a favour and do a quick search for threads I´ve started? Would be very appreciated!
    Thanks! :)

EDIT: I found one thread now I´ve started here in January 2005, but thats not the one I´m thinking of :( There must be something older... help! :ill:

12. Keeper of the Seven Cheese

Keeper of the Seven Cheese Metallic Progressor

man that list is awesome. Dragonforce and Within Temptation are also very good bands :(

13. Natasha

I think this place lost many old threads at one stage.

Also try metal-rules.com forum.
    I've mentioned your site there ;)

Hmmm the Dungeon forum has a search facility, but I remember the CoB didn't. I guess it depends on the band ???

LT can probably explain more

14. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

When the server had that massive crash last year, we lost all posts from the previous 6 months to when this place started. And they lock out all posts older than a year or so to save server space. The new boss of Ultimate Metal posted about this a while back.

As for the search function: tried using it two days ago and it said my's access was restricted -even when searching for my own posts. Seems that only Premium Members can use such functions as search and the like. Hopefully they'll restore it to all users, bu that is yet to be seen.

Peace
    The Pimp NeonBlack

15. Toby

Toby Cheesegrater Of Chastity

The search utility has been down for a long time, now, and it's been bugging me when I need it for something or other.

16. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

Yeah, definitely down.

17. xpet

xpet Mummy

yes, has nothing to do with being a premium member or not :(
    Found this thread though, which says it will work again one time:
    http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185146
    anyway I found my old threads by sorting the forums in strange ways :D

@*Nat
    I know that you´ve mentioned my page at Metal-Rules :D :) Didn´t you get my mail some days ago? Or do you mean the metal-rules forum?

18. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

OK.
    I's thought they changed it because everytime I's went to do a search it said: "Do not have relevent clearance/membership to access". So I's assume that they altered it all.
    Oh, well.
    Hoep they fix it soon.
    Peace
    The Pimp NeonBlack

19. Natasha

Check the forums... I've mentioned it there too ;)

20. Stonewall

I'm very much looking forward to seeing Within Temptation at Graspop, Dragonforce too but i haven't heard them. Have heard they are good. I will probably also be heading to Helsinki to see Sentenced at Tuska, as i won't be in Europe long enough to see them at Wacken.