This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

well i lost my opeth-virginity tonight

Discussion in 'Opeth (Archived)' started by DarkBarrage99, May 27, 2008.

1. DarkBarrage99

DarkBarrage99 Member

dc, near sold out show. sound was perfect

i missed 3 cause of traffic, btbme was pretty good but we came in late to that

it was amazing, only thing that bugged me was that fredrik was kinda drowned out by the rest of the band during the lead for heir apparent.(turn him up!) and the piano sound per was using for the hounds, everything was spot on though

someone yelled out "play freebird!" and mike played a few licks and sang. one of my friends told me to do it, but i guess someone beat me to it, haha.

it was great ^_^

setlist was:

Demon of the Fall (strangly this was their starting song instead of their end)
    The Baying Of The Hounds
    Wreath
    To rid the disease
    Heir apparent
    and lastly...
    The Drapery Falls

:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

i ended up yelling "I love you" to mike, and as he said thank you to everyone, he kind of paused looked at my general direction and gave that token mike look and said "thank you", either like he meant thanks or he wanted me to shut up. lol, I'm hoping he meant it.

felt like god was talking to me though. ^________________^

dream theater however..... wow.

when opeth went off the stage, 3/4'ths of the crowd left.

ok, cause of opeth's equipment n junk, gt-8 etc, opeth took only 10 minutes to set up. walk out, plug it in, walk around the stage strummin to make sure the acoustics dont fuck anything up, check the drums, raise the opeth flag, boom done.

not only did dream theater have almost everything set up beforehand, but they decided to play classical music with the drapes up for TWENTY FIVE MINUTES. then when the drapery fell(haha), they had a video of them playing from 10 years ago till now play. apparently they had to set up fake ants and other crap everywhere. and of course, a spotlight. jesus... its like, they're so fucking full of themselves, they can't even get to the fucking song without all this crap. we ended up leaving 7 minutes into the first dream t song cause we were scared the car would be towed, haha.

fun night though, opeth alone was worth the $70 i spent on shirts, lol.

2. NicholasDWolfwood

you're bitching about something that happens at almost every single concert with opening bands that is known to man, ie the set change-over time - even if equipment is already setup or partially setup. the "fake ants and other crap" are from the cover of their last album, "systematic chaos", which this tour is still in support of - thus the stage setup would of course reflect that. the video of them from 10+ years ago until now is customary for a dream theater tour, it's their introduction.

this is a tour that mike portnoy, of dream theater, put together. get over yourself.

3. Godhead59

Godhead59 Dim Sam

Congrats! Glad you had fun! I lost mine two years ago. Will be seeing them again this August, can't wait!

4. leecs

leecs Member

Looks like theres a few who dont like Dream Theater. Hmmm... Well, They are a very tight band. Songs are very structered on virtusoity. I have the privelidge of watching them twice in Singapore. On the contrary, I only like John Petrucci.

You need technique to make music. But technique alone is not enough. Theres where Opeth excels in here. Which is why my favourite band is Opeth

5. noura

noura Member

Congratulations. You are now a man/woman (whichever applies).

6. Lina

Lina kickass elizabethan style

That was fucking lame. Why do people still think this is funny? I felt embarrassed, like, on behalf of Washington, D.C.

7. Schism

Schism Evacuate, Assemble here..

I saw DT in Oz earlier in the year, and being a long-time fan since about '94 and never having seen 'em live, It was one of the greatest gigs I have attended (and I have seen many....)
    So I don't really get the detractors, just listen and enjoy and stop jumping on the DT hate bandwagon.

8. leprecon

leprecon Member

What songs did Dream Theater play? If someone knows, please send it here!

Well, found it myself. There you go if you're interested.

And copypaste from 22.5.2008 show:

1. In The Presence Of Enemies Pt. 1
    2. Beyond This Life
    3. Misunderstood
    4. Forsaken
    5. Erotomania
    6. Voices
    7. Repentance (w/ Mikael Akerfeldt)
    8. Take The Time
    ------------------------------------
    9. Shmedley Wilcox:
    I.Trial Of Tears
    II. Finally Free
    III. Learning To Live
    IV. In The Name Of God
    V. Octavarium (Razor's Edge)

9. Vivören

Vivören New Metal Member

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

10. Blackwater Demon

Blackwater Demon Using Cold Words

yeah Id leave too.

11. Romeo.jr

Romeo.jr can't touch this

I was at the show and the sound was not that great. The bass drum was up so loud that it drowned everything out when there was double bass action, which was often. The vocals were too low, and Fredrik was also too low. Oh well. They played great and the set-list was as good as it could get for that amount of time.

The set-list for DT was not the same as the one posted above.

12. abandonedwaz

abandonedwaz Member

awesome......first ones are the best ones.....hahahaha.......i cant believe though 3/4 crowd left after opeth......hahahhaa...imagine how embarrassed DT would be feeling....haahaha.....thats crazy......i cant wait for them to come to TX again mang.....its gonna slay.....PEAC EOUT

13. Godhead59

Godhead59 Dim Sam

Dream Theater should open for Opeth.

14. murderedbysound

murderedbysound MurderedbySound

The set list for DT was a little weak IMO. Though after Opeth got off the stage more people came in. It was pretty cool to have a packed house. I know a lot of my friends that came for Opeth and were bitching about DT. They of course, only like the As I Am and the medley (The Super Mario Interlude was pretty awesome IMO).

15. DarkBarrage99

DarkBarrage99 Member

dude, there was over a half an hour to waste. opeth could've done another song or too... opeth played a godly set though, so I'm not complaining about that.

and i know its from systematic chaos, and mike portnoy rules, i just find the amount of bs they had with the set was annoying. like we really need the 10+ years video to know its dt, and the way it was done really made them seem like they were really into themselves. its like jesus christ, just play the fucking music already. i don't want to wait 45 minutes for an overrated cheesefest anyway.

mike didn't seem to have a problem with it, in fact he played a lil. and freebirds a good song and he was cool with the joke, so how is that embarassing?

:loco:

16. abandonedwaz

abandonedwaz Member

I saw the new incarnated AIC recently....they did a 20 min video thing mid-set......but it was a tribute to Layne so it was cool....as for bands showing thier own videos before a set.....hmmm.....that does reek of pretentiousness hahaaha......o well.........what u gonna do......its their tour.......PEAC EOUT

17. Lina

Lina kickass elizabethan style

Because someone yells it at every single show that any band has ever played, and each time that person thinks he's so fucking witty and original.

18. Optional Angel

Optional Angel New Metal Member

I recently lost my opeth virginity as well in Rosemont, IL. I had never heard of 3 but they were amazing. I really hope they go on tour with Opeth later on. Opeth was un-fucking-believeable. Then like what was said above, everyone started to leave after Opeth was done and handfuls of old people and hippies filled the place to watch Dream Theater hahahaha. You could smell the sweet aroma of the giggle smoke in air lol.

19. Porcelain Orchid

Porcelain Orchid Kept inside our idle race

hellz yeah . i saw them as well. it was amazing! i had whiplash after seeing them i crave more of them. I didn't like the fact they didn't get to play more. but hopefully they will tour here in the states after being overseas.

20. babymilk

babymilk Scrumptulescent

I remember my first like it was yesterday. It was February 23rd, 2006, at the NYC Town Hall. An Evening with Opeth. The first time they ever performed The Night & The Silent Water live. An amazing event...

I am glad you were "broken," congrats!