This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

I Wait For You...

...you know you cannot hide. Join the forum today!

what are you reading?

Discussion in 'Nevermore' started by dreaming neon darkspot, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Shpongled

Shpongled Member

Been reading my new subscription of Backpacker magazine.

Planning a week through the Olympics this summer, possibly solo.

2. derek

derek Grey Eminence

Except the movie was excellent and book versions are not always better.

3. Pitiless Wanderer

Pitiless Wanderer Active Member

if you had read the book prior to watching the movie you'd agree with me. the movie, as i said, is ok as a stand alone film. not sure why you'd say it was excellent. and compared to the book, it's shit, though.

and yes books, by default, are always better.

4. derek

derek Grey Eminence

That's total nonsense.

and I did read the book prior to watching the movie. It's an excellent movie.

5. Pitiless Wanderer

ok, they left out the entire character development of Doug as a recovering alcoholic, his meetings with his sponsor, the fact that the fell off the wagon prior to the last heist and his unfortunate, but fitting DEATH at the end of the book. there was no suspense in the angle with the florist, when in the book you had no idea what was going to happen given that he had Gloansy's dad killed. the movie also had about 5% of the dynamic between Doug and Jem, (crucial to understanding Doug's thoughts and actions) let alone between Doug and Claire, which was again crucial to Doug's internal struggles. The movie also had absolutely ZERO on Frawley and his romantic feelings for Claire. This was a massive angle in the book as one of the driving factors in the urgency he felt to catch Doug and the gang. the movie left out the movie theater heist, which contained awesome robbery detail and also more dynamic between Jem and Doug. I could go on and on. How you rate the movie as 'excellent' compared to the book, given how watered down it was, is beyond me and makes me wonder if you even read the thing.

but honestly, lets fight about it. im serious - im in a bad mood, so lets go. ill wait for you to tell me where the profundity is found within the movie.

6. seedawakening

seedawakening Member

7. freewill

freewill Member

I just got 2 steinbeck books and A clockwork Orange. havent read any of them, so after Atlas Shrugged, Frankentstein, "How To Be A Record Producer in the Digital Era"....I will be starting A Clockwork Orange. This wont happen of course, i only have a month before school starts back up again.

The Norton Anthology of music is gibberish to me. ^^

8. derek

derek Grey Eminence

Calm down, chief. I like the book too, I just happen to think the movie is excellent.

What got my back up is your arrogant statement that the book is always better than the movie. That's bullshit bred from idiocy and blind, misguided elitism, which you're in no position to espouse.

9. Pitiless Wanderer

I'm in no position to have my own opinion? That seems like a rather idiotic statement on your part, buddy.

Books are better than movies.....99.999% of the time (I'll hedge a little).

10. derek

derek Grey Eminence

11. freewill

freewill Member

One flew over the cuckoos nest was a much better movie = .01%

12. neal

neal wizard in black

prepare yourself for the onslaught of america hate

13. Super Mahrio

Super Mahrio Deeply Horrible Person

Just finished The Dunwich Horror by Lovecraft. Im gonna start The Shadow Over Innsmouth probably tomorrow.

14. seedawakening

seedawakening Member

howard zinn rules. im not an american nationalist but i do like to be informed about the reality i inhabit

15. Lunar Still

Lunar Still Doodle drawrer

"Lore of the Witch World" by Andre Norton. Part of an effort to acquaint myself with the pulpiest scifi/fantasy/horror the twentieth century had to offer. About to start "The Last Manchu" by Henry Puyi, the last emperor of China. Also, when I'm done with "Witch World" I will start on "Stairway to Forever" by Robert Adams, which is about the strangest, pulpiest book I've ever read a blurb about. Part of the synopsis:

"Except for the bizarre beasts that crawl its shoreline, the 'sand world' seems deserted. Yet Fitz is not alone. First he is visited by an old friend, who reveals that Fitz has a mission in this strange new world. Then he is supplied with traveling companions: a Norman knight, and a 1950s jazz musician trapped in a most unusual new body."

Oughta be good times.

16. Pitiless Wanderer

American Tabloid. Great so far. Very creative and extremely well written.

17. DarkGift

DarkGift ov Doom

almost finished reading the first book, it's fucking awesome :headbang:

18. freewill

freewill Member

finished Atlas Shrugged...my god, twas very long. Finished A Clockwork Orange very quickly, about 2 afternoons.

But now I have started The Wayward Bus by Steinbeck. Seems promising, I have always love his writing. He can really paint a picture in your head and the characters seem very human.

I thought that Atlas Shrugged was amazing. She really managed to sell her philosophy through the story and the book actually has made me question and therefor change some of my beliefs regarding some basic ethics. As far as the story in concerned, I really liked it, even though I ended up hating one of the most central characters.

A Clockwork Orange was everything I expected it to be, having seen the movie. I actually was expecting more detailed ultra-violence, but wasn't bothered or anything. I thought it was a little short as well, and came off exactly like the movie, which surprised me. in essence Book = Movie.

19. Lunar Still

Lunar Still Doodle drawrer

I thought the book was way more fun than the movie, since you got the entire thing through Alex's weird vision of the world, plus all the crazy slang he used to describe it. On the other hand, the movie did have visual boobs.

20. Det Som Engang Var

Det Som Engang Var Viking Bastard

They've been getting better so far. I'm half way done with this third one.

I hate Arya and her chapters, though. Fantasy or not, I'm not into 11 year old girls with swords. That's absurd. Also, isn't this guy going to die before the series is finished at this rate? Doesn't he realize this?