This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

I Wait For You...

...you know you cannot hide. Join the forum today!

what are you reading?

Discussion in 'Nevermore' started by dreaming neon darkspot, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Mr.Sister

Mr.Sister Member

Yes, yes and yes. Unbelievable book.

2. Enemy242

Enemy242 Member

I've already asked this before but anyone have any sci fi recommendations for me? reading sci fi is the only way i don't snap and punch a hole in the train when i'm on bart. I'm really into phillip k dick and i've read dr bloodmoney, do androids and ubik. right now i'm reading neuromancer which is cool and really cyberpunk-ish but tries a little bit too hard a lot of the time so it's really hit and miss. its really long so i kinda read it in parts instead of just one go through so i can switch to any great recommendations people have now (also tried reading that Nausea book and tbh it bored the hell out of me, oh noez i'm not an intellectual oh noezzz but its not awful so i'll continue again later).

3. Det Som Engang Var

Det Som Engang Var Viking Bastard

4. neal

neal wizard in black

enders game series is good stuff, i read em all except the last 2 bean books or something. i think my friend has em, i'll read em after i finish with these crazy durka durkas.

5. ShadowsWithin

ShadowsWithin Member

The Genesis Plague, I read half of it when I was in Italy but couldn't get it over in the states, but finally came across a .MOBI format of it for the kindle app on my tab.

also reading Holiday of the Dead, my friend at work wrote one of the stories.

6. WhiteBeastofWotan

WhiteBeastofWotan Apostitutes!

the hyperion books by dan simmons. sweet lord they're so goooooood.

7. Enemy242

Enemy242 Member

read enders game, really liked it. however i don't want to read the rest of the series; call me crazy but i think the book ended on a really great and thought provoking note and to keep going with that really just wouldn't do anything for me and would kinda ruin it. it seriously all tied together amazingly and while i understand how they can continue it (and obviously why, duh haha) it just wouldn't be the same as leaving it now.

8. Enemy242

Enemy242 Member

I believe I have a book called Hyperion in my ipad collection of sci fi books, I'll check it out. thanks!

I basically have a shitload of sci-fi books on my ipad since it can hold so much data so pretty much any recommendation people have I can just check out without needing to search it out. pretty handy, just need more recommendations! for anyone who does have any more recommendations btw if possible no series please; I don't like reading series because i feel series books tend to end on cliffhangers or random bullshit just to keep it going whereas I prefer to end a book with a feeling of completion and understanding/feeling the message or what they're trying to get across and series don't tend to do that as much (even if you think i'm wrong thats just the way it is, sorry). only series I like would be pretty much star wars and ones that are meant from the start to be a series, yet too often people make write one good story, it does well, and then they attach on some continuation and fuck it all up.

9. Jace_Mereel

Jace_Mereel Freakame, Freakayou!

LOVED Ender's Game. And while, I was told to stop reading after that, I read Ender's Shadow, which is kind of from Bean's point of view and really enjoyed that, too. It's worth it since it gives more detail on Bean, but keeps the style of EG.

10. Pitiless Wanderer

Pitiless Wanderer Active Member

anyone have a Kindle, specifically the 3g/wifi one?

11. Brooks

Brooks Eyes Wide Open

No, but I'm tempted to get one every day.
    For reading and for this:

[​IMG]
    3G + offers seems like the best buy

BTW: currently reading David Foster Wallace's Consider the Lobster. Great stuff (on a huge DFW kick lately, to support my hipster-cred, derek)

12. neal

neal wizard in black

i would say if you only read one additional EG book it should most definitely be Ender's Shadow. Bean is 10x more awesome than ender, and its pretty much a companion book to EG as its the same events from Bean's perspective.

so, enemy242, IF thats your real name, read Ender's Shadow or be a jerkface!!

13. Enemy242

Enemy242 Member

sorry, i guess i'm going to have to be a jerkface haha; i can't see that being interesting to me as i've already read it and the most interesting parts to me weren't about the training and whatnot, but were more the twists and the pseudo philosophical questions where he encounters the aliens etc and all of it leads up and whatnot. plus that kid was a punk haha

14. monoxide_child

monoxide_child New Metal Member

:lol:

15. DarkNoise

DarkNoise Grotesque Butchery Rabbit

Outskirts of the City of Subdued Excitement
    [​IMG]
    One Second After by William R. Forstchen. Interesting read. Not the best author ever, but better than a lot of other crappy books I've tried recently.

It's about an EMP that disables the United States. 'nough said

16. Lies and Perfidy

Lies and Perfidy Gentleman of the Road

Picked up and read China Mieville's first two Bas-Lag books on vacation. Pretty good stuff, though occasionally a little over the top with the THIS AIN'T YOUR GRANDPAPPY'S FANTASY vibe. Also read Shane Macgowan's biography, which was a lot of fun.

I think i'm gonna reread some classic fantasy now - Tad Williams's Memory, Sorrow & Thorn "trilogy."

17. Pitiless Wanderer

I have 20 pages left in Turgenev's Fathers and Sons. It's hard to top the great Russians when it comes to classic lit.

18. Pitiless Wanderer

Just finished Sphere. Easily Crichton's best book along with Congo.

19. dreaming neon darkspot

dreaming neon darkspot natures' retard

gotta get back to Let Me In. soooooo fucking good

20. Pitiless Wanderer

What's with The Hunger series. Any good, or just more teenaged, paranormal junk?