This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

What does this band sound like live?

Discussion in 'Opeth (Archived)' started by BriGreentea, Oct 6, 2008.

1. BriGreentea

BriGreentea Member

I'm somewhat new to Opeth. I only really knew of them long ago from the singer that did Katatonia's Brave Murder Day album so then found out about Opeth. I got Damnation, which at the time wasn't my cup of tea...after all I thought they were a metal band? So, I really started out on the wrong album and after listening to Blackwater Park I have a greater appreciation for Damnation now.

I was wondering though, how does this band work only having two guitars? With all the acoustic passages, how would playing electric guitars the whole time work? I've heard a few great bands in the studio that sound great and doesn't sound well live just because they are not able to play everything from the studio. With this band since the acoustic guitar is such a big deal, is that not played live at all?

2. BringMeTheCalm

They sound just like the CD except better. They just switch to the clean channel with the electric guitar. I'm sure Mike has an acoustic immitator thing too.

3. Walls1441

Walls1441 Member

depends on the song. some songs sound better live some of the depth can't be replicated live. only a fanboy would say otherwise.

4. Strange Brew

Strange Brew New Metal Member

they are fantastic live, trust me. They pull off the mellow/acoustic sections awesomely live, but it is generally a bit more intense than on the albums. Some of the subtleties are lost live, but the intensity,mood and atmosphere of hearing it live more than make up for it.

5. Crackfare

Crackfare VagiAddict

they sound like a band thats playing live.

6. chasepw133

chasepw133 Member

Thats alot of things :OMG:

7. DarkGift

DarkGift ov Doom

opeth is easily one of the best live bands i have heard. get the roundhouse tapes dvd, it's out for preorder right now:
    http://www.opeth.com/

cheers!

8. Cognitive Intercourse

BriGreentea...I see you're in Ft Worth. Opeth is coming to the Dallas House of Blues on Oct 15th. Spend 25 bucks and come see them for yourself. I'm sure you won't be disapointed.

9. Dammnare

Dammnare Member

Trust me.....I saw them alive on 20th June 2008...as the first note of Master's Apprentices kicked in.....I don't know what happened after that...fucking great live song I love it abfuckingsolutely fantastic song...

10. White_Wolf

White_Wolf New Metal Member

I've seen them 4 times so far. Every concert was fucking amazing, probably the best live band I've heard. Even the first time I saw them at Sounds of the underground in Jersey(which sucked overall) was really good.

11. neuroticandroid

search on youtube, there are some excellent live clips on there, and some that sound more like television static too

12. baarg

baarg Hal 9000

They are incredible live. It will be one of the best live bands you'll ever see. Spend some money and go see them, you won't be disappointed!

13. affinityband

affinityband Member

14. Twelveby5

Twelveby5 No Carrot For Hopefuls

15. HemeHaci

HemeHaci Ken Masters

Some songs (Deliverance especially, the Drapery Falls, the Baying of the Hounds) sounds much better live, at least for me. But as Mikael records vocals one line from two lines and then re-record the remaining line onto the first, he has to sing fast those parts. Although it is different, not necessarily better but a new taste after all.
    On some songs he gets his acoustic guitar and plays but transitions on most songs are masterfully done. No problem there.

Overall they show very good performance while playing but the concert is not as alive as some other groups (for example In Flames just rocks live) but if you get an awesome taste for mere listening. Headbanging and tearing yourself apart is not very Opethic anyways :p

16. Godhead59

Godhead59 Dim Sam

They're an incredible live band, especially when it comes to the frontman keeping the crowd entertained (Mike tells the most bone-dry jokes that are absolutely hilarious) and the performance of the songs, though when it comes to actual performance, you know, stuff like dynamics on stage, having the crowd involved in the songs etc, I enjoyed Therion's show much better.

17. Mantraschism

Mantraschism Skáld

They're a good live band. Mike's got great crowd interaction, very funny dude. Don't expect Iron Maiden or anything, jumping over the stacks and whatnot, but they were every bit what I hoped them to be, live. As someone else said, some of the vocals get altered rhythmically so he can fit all the lyrics in, which is understandable, even though I wish he didn't have to do it. Some stuff is amazing the way they pull it off live, like the transition from the soft, ambient part back into the heavy part in 'Blackwater Park'. That gave me goosebumps like crazy.

18. Iki-ilkkuja

Iki-ilkkuja Member

No, they don't have any piezo pickups nor do they have a acoustic simulator.

19. Walls1441

Walls1441 Member

pretty sure the GT-8 (and 10) have acoustic simulators. pretty sure they don't use them though. and no one said they have piezo pickups

20. --clare--

--clare-- Member

Almost hypnotic in goodness. You'll not be disappointed. It translates perfectly from cd to live, and with an added greatness. Only thing is.... you don't want the talking between songs to happen, as it's so good.