This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

What makes Thrash metal...Well thrash?

Discussion in 'Old School Metal Discussion' started by Halberd3, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Halberd3

Halberd3 Member

Truthfully I've wondered sometimes. What sets thrash apart from more traditional heavy metal? Is it the riffs? The tempo? Guitar and bass tones? Chords and patterns? Palm muting usage? I've heard a good degree of palm muting get used in the more traditional stuff. Sometimes I honestly don't know. I mean I've heard stuff like Iron Curtain and Dexter Ward make stuff that sounded almost thrashy, mainly the tone but they get grouped into the traditional circle.

So really what sets this apart from

From this?

2. CASSETTEISGOD

CASSETTEISGOD Doom Over The World

Beer makes me thrash.

H.P. Lovecraft likes this.
  3. Halberd3

Halberd3 Member

No seriously. Musically speaking.

4. zegonzales

zegonzales New Metal Member

Everything you mentioned . In My opinion , Thrash is heavier , more agressive , and darker in the riff department than traditional Heavy Metal .

5. Halberd3

Halberd3 Member

So what does that make Dexter Ward and Iron Curtain? Their riffs sound very similar to thrash riffs but they're categorized under traditional.

6. elohimeth

elohimeth marțolea

my guess is alcohol. also rebellion and carelessness. then there's the occasional satanism but that isn't very specific to the genre.

7. Iron Wizard

Iron Wizard Heathen

First, the obvious. Thrash metal is fast. It doesn't necessarily have to be 200bmp with palm muted 16th notes and blastbeats, but it has to be at least on the upper side of midtempo. This is shared with speed metal, though speed is less integral to thrash.

The thrash metal rhythm section generally abides by an 8th or 16th note skeleton, with different variations to create a more "jerky" sound. Triplets are employed extensively as well, and gallop style rhythms are also used. Examples include "Battery" by Metallica or "Impact is Imminent" by Exodus.

Thrash metal is less melodic than speed metal, as well. Guitar melodies are few and far between, instead, the riffs sound like choppy patterns of notes. Evil sounding intervals and chords are used, and the vocals are harsh. Again we have e to differentiate from speed metal. Speed metal is generally as fast and often faster than thrash, but it tends to have a very steady, laid back sound in comparison. Listen to "Alison Hell" by Annihilator. That is not thrash, it's speed metal. The same goes for "Overkill" by Motörhead and "Exciter" by Judas Priest. Then compare that to almost anything by Megadeth, who use complex riffs, sudden fills, rundowns, groove sections, and especially tempo changes.

8. Iron Wizard

Iron Wizard Heathen

There is as much of that in speed metal as there is thrash metal. Note that I say speed metal as I think it makes a good background to highlight thrash characteristics against.