This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

What's the easy way to rec. DI and Amp at once?

Discussion in 'F.O.H.' started by drope934, May 21, 2011.

1. drope934

drope934 Member

As said in the title, how do you manage to record DIs and the guitar's amps at the same time?

I'm going to record my band soon and since I'm a "digital man", I want to also keep the DI if needed for some parts or for reamping.

do you use like a A/B/Y stomp box to drive 2 output? (amp and console)
    I'm afraid to loose a lot of signal with that :confused:

2. JeffTD

JeffTD Senhor Testiculo

You use a DI with a 'thru' option.

3. AudioGeekZine

AudioGeekZine arsehole know-it-all

a DI box will have an XLR output (goes to mic preamp and recorder) and a 1/4" output (to amp).
    mic the amp.
    record the DI and mic on separate inputs.
    Mute the DI while recording.

4. drope934

drope934 Member

Thank you folk. Use a DI.. Where was my mind, that was obvious!

Any advice for a good one not too expensive?

5. DanLights

DanLights Santa Hat Forever

Please, read the stickies and tutorials before posting. The reamping thread by Glenn has your first question and everything else you need, answered ages ago

6. Strachan of D

Strachan of D resident dyslexic

most di boxes have a link out use that to send the signal to the amp

7. drope934

drope934 Member

I dont HAVE to read every sticky here (excepted rules) and by 'preparing tracks for reamp' i tough it was about setting up already recorded tracks before running into a real amp using a reamp box. Sorry but i tried the searh function but DI is too short to be considered in it so it was difficulte to find amswers. I wasn't here "ages ago", sorry...

8. KBMoser

KBMoser Audiophile

Yeah man totally. No one is forcing anyone to open this thread to read what has already been anwered. But at the same time there is a search funtion. Its understandable.

9. Leon--

Leon-- Member

it depends,you might need an active or a passive one.
    all the radial models are amazing try J48 for example you might like it if you dont want to spend alot of money for a really really good one.

10. DanLights

I'm not trying to be a dick, but if it's a sticky related to reamping, it will obviously help, new people seem to think that they're the first one in the world with the obvious questions. It's perfectly normal to not know things like these, so it would be ridiculous to think you were the first one to think about it.

And, if you read the FAQ (and that one you MUST read, it even says "Please Read") you will find we have a custom search function which is better than the forum's one and allows you to search for short terms. And this has to be said to someone at least once a week, cause they always say "yeah I know I have to search but it's a short term, the search function here sucks" but they didn't really read the rules or FAQ to know how this place works. You understand we can get a bit tired of the same thing over and over. Yeah some people might go "it's the Internet, serious business, sand in vagina blablabla" but I'm not angry or lashing out at someone over this, just trying to help make this place a bit cleaner. And whoever really thinks the Internet is NOT serious business, is still living in 1998.

P.s. Preparing your tracks for reamping, is exactly that: Recording DIs, it wouldnt have killed to open and read the first two lines before posting a new thread.

Again, no big deal really, and obviously nothing personal, but it happens a lot and it only takes a little common sense to find those answers yourself with all the help and info you have here

11. DanLights

Oh and about this, I don't know if you've heard, but that's the magic of Internet forums, you dont have to have been here ages ago to read the answer, they actually stay here