This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Who likes drum solos?

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by adaher, Mar 22, 2010.

1. The_Metal_Messiah

The_Metal_Messiah Dr Feelgood/Dropdown Suzi

Alex Van Halen always has sick drum solos. His are the only ones I've been interested in live though. But that was during their last tour, when they played for like 2 and a half hours.

2. Diamond45

Diamond45 Terminate Bad Music

This.

I like Neil's solo because he is very creative and even goes beyond drums.

Other solos are pretty much... meh.... but Neil's :headbang::kickass::OMG:

3. Perditions Ghost

I don't mind them if they're tasteful. Like was said earlier, if the drummer can do a good solo, I'm for it. On the first Summer Slaughter tour, Necrophagist had Marco Minnemann doing live drums for them. Though he played on the newest Ephel Duath record, and is touring with Kreator, Minnemann isn't a very metal drummer, he's a lot more jazzy than anything. I think the solo neared ten minutes, but I never once got bored watching it. Though he did sort of spoil me to all future drum solos.

4. Yippee38

Yippee38 Living the dream!

For me, those are the only drum solos I can watch without getting pissed.

5. Savage Pumpkin

Savage Pumpkin AKA Mr. Future World

Whenever I hear the words "drum solo" it brings back memories of one of my most pissed off concert moments. I was SOOOO stoked to see Gamma Ray at PP3. They didn't really have a long time slot at all. So Daniel decides to do a drum solo the length of three full songs. I understand if you are headlining and doing 2+ hours but that was unnecessary.

6. Cheiron

Cheiron Member

Marco is on the level with Johnny Mac and Bobby. Even if you want to rank which one is better, its still a very high level of play.

7. bsbarnes

bsbarnes SymphonyX Fan

Same here! 'You came all the way from Germany to waste our time on a frickin' drum solo???!!!'

8. Pellaz

Pellaz Tigron of Immanion

This is why I like, say, Neil Peart's drum solos -- going back to the old days ("Pieces of Eight," anyone?), he's always tried to make it more of a song-with-a-melody, rather than just a drum solo.

Solos that only involve a lot of speedy playing, etc., are pretty lame, IMHO...after all, if speed's your "thing" as a drummer, you might as well just, y'know, play along with a regular song. :lol:

One thing I -do- like is when a band busts out a messload of drums and everyone starts playing. I remember Angra doing this, Brazilian-style, at PP and it ruled. :kickass:

9. spag

spag I am a leaf on the wind

I'm with the "it's ok at a 2-hour concert" crowd. If you're an opening act, and playing for 30-45 minutes, taking 5-minutes of it for a drum solo is stupid. Especially since 95% of the time it sucks.

10. No-Mercy

No-Mercy Feanor

im a drummer, and i think drum solos are the most boring thing to both watch and play hahah.

id rather hear a song, and id rather play a song. drum solos can be saved for drum competitions.

11. modernwizardry

modernwizardry I want stout!

As long as the drummer is Ian Paice or Cozy Powell.

12. DarkOne

DarkOne Black Belt in Sarcasm

Drum solos - one of my long standing annoyances. 99% of them fall into the exact same routine:

Pound pound.
    Stand up.
    Wave arms to make audience scream.
    Sit down.
    Pound pound.
    Repeat ad infinitum.

Steve's Instrument Solo Rule: I think any solo shouldn't last more than two minutes, and should lead right into a song. Drum solos should be half that amount of time. (Freak Kitchen exception - any solo played with a mechanical sexual aid gets double the standard time limit)

And, Savage P, Gamma Ray's solo certainly stands out to me as well.

Steve in Philly