This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Join the Chaos

Want to join in with the rest of the Hate Crew? Sign up today!

Why do people hate COB?

Discussion in 'Children Of Bodom' started by (__Joonas__), Aug 18, 2010.

1. The Bringer

The Bringer Member

I have no problem with approaching music without the "metal feeling" in mind considering I listen to a lot of music that is not metal. Actually my second favorite genre is folk/medieval European music which is quite drastically different from metal in sound.

But I just cannot shake the weird vibe I get from this album. Maybe it is the mix with the Soviet style artwork. Uggg.... don't make me puke.

2. Wolves83

Wolves83 Nordland III

i started not liking COB around when Blooddrunk came out

3. Navez

Navez Knave

4. Dave Bodom

Dave Bodom New Metal Member

Blooddrunk shook me a bit in terms of enjoying it but it grew on me alot, i just accept there styles changed and its still good (for me).

Majority of my mates who dislike Bodom have a dislike for the keyboard in music and many of the complaints come to live shows for how "sloppy" they seem to be. Sometimes you can tell when Alexi's not at his best etc but ive found lately theyve put on some great shows.

5. Crzy_Aus

Crzy_Aus Crazy Violin Guy

Hmm, these guys are fucking incredible live, their gig was some of the most fun I've ever had at one (maybe third after Diablo Swing Orchestra and Obituary). They put up a great show. But I just can't get into their music - not that it's bad. It's just that after all the Finnish legends like Ensiferum or Korpiklaani, they just don't quite keep up musically.

6. winterburn289

winterburn289 midget metalhead

my brother doesn't like them because he says alexi's voice gives him headaches

7. EvilKatarn

EvilKatarn Jaaniöö, Bodomi Öö

When I started listening to them the same thing happened to me too. Never expected to grow to like that voice.

8. Bastard child

Bastard child Member

I think COB has done great music during their career. I'm in the ones who thinks the Old was better than the New stuff, of course. But I recently listened tho the new album (In fact that is why I got back here), and found it really nice, better than the previous one AYDY, which I didn't really listen to hardfuly.

In fact, i'm surprised that they reach that point, their popularity is so damn big in the World.

9. Bastard child

Bastard child Member

Dohh, it was Blood drunk their previous ahaha damn. Anyway I think AYDY is the one that shouldn't have been produced. I don't want to make ppl angry with the fact that I really dis this album

10. Prog is King

Prog is King Member

I'm 49 years old and a metalhead from way, way back in the day. I've been to hundreds of shows
    starting with my first back in 1976. I'm in no way an expert on music so I can only rely on my many
    years of experience. That being said, Children Of Bodom are one the finest bands I have ever had the pleasure of listening to. I'm a carpenter so I listen to alot of music while working and I have listened to COB at least once every week for the last 6 years. I do not get tired of hearing them.
    I don't get into the "old versus new" argument. All their music sounds good to me. I think the reason
    some people don't like COB is just a matter of taste. COB need to grow on you and in this day and age many people, especially younger people don't want to take the time. I've never seen COB live
    and I hope to this year. I even introduced my 17 year old daughter to COB and she in turn introduced
    part of her high school to them.

:kickass:

11. snowy

snowy The Empire Strikes Back

wow.genius.

I kinda disagree since the new stuff is much "easier" to listen to/get into as their old stuff is, which is somehow preferred by most of the trve cult fans.

12. Prog is King

Prog is King Member

That's Mr. Genius, to you.

13. snowy

ba-ba-ba-ba-tthüüüürtt

14. DestroyAndDominate

No one who listens to death metal calls themselves br00talz, scrub. Way to make a generalization.

Personally, I like Children Of Bodom. Their melodies are nice, and they are a lot of fun to play on the guitar.

15. foodforthegods

I think the point with COB is that Alexi is now way too praised and some people don't like that. I think this band had their peak during the Hatebreeder/Follow The Reaper era. Now it's just going downward in quality. His voice is getting bad, Alexi doesn't play in the way he used to, their sound is quite shitty actually. Personally, I still love them but I can see that the band is not going foward with the musical direction they have taken. And Now alexi is praised as the best metal guitar ever by his fanbase (which is really big for a metal band and mostly very young). For most people I think COB is now a band for heavy metal beginner and to see alexi getting such exposure is frustrating for fans of guitar player like Vai, Satriani, Petrucci, Sfogli, Morse, Gilbert, Broderick and Loomis which are like hundred times better and tighter than Laiho.

16. (__Joonas__)

(__Joonas__) † Followed the Reaper †

I don't know who's the best guitarist, but I know who's the best songwriter-guitarist-vocalist. That's how they should be talking about Laiho, not merely as a guitarist, for fuck's sake. Of course you're only supposed to be good in your genre, if a rapper hears some COB he won't even notice the music. Even I kinda hated COB at 14, before someone struck the metal fist up my ass one drunken night at the lake.

It's difficult enough for someone who does not understand the instruments to appreciate COB. Sounds come and go as one big mess, solos make no sense at all... Of course the first step is to stop listening only to lyrics and the disco melody, most never get past that.

17. snowy

[​IMG]

18. (__Joonas__)

Can you at least take part in this gay conversation and not just flame, right when we were actually joined by an adult member you had to smoke him out too.

19. snowy

it's not flaming, I was expressing my opinion about your statement. So anyone from some genre can just see the ''beauty'' of his own favourite music and otherwise doesnt realise the good stuff in the genres? And didnt 'smoke' anyone out, his statements weren't much better than yours, its not my fault that he's gone :lol:

20. (__Joonas__)

It's that a fan of metal genre focuses more on the music and thus sees nothing special about rap musically, while a rap guy only cares to say "crappy vocals" about COB. I wish they could realize the good things in other genres, and not just say "this is bad." Like what is bad, the music? "...oh well they do play alright." It doesn't matter tho, some people are simple and can't analyze.