This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

World Cup Qualifier

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Ikil, Nov 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cro4eva

cro4eva Member

As that guy said Croatia came 3rd in the World Cup, and qualified for te 02 world cup. We drew with Brazil 1-1 or 0-0, We are in this World Cup topping our group.

Suker is the player that got the golden boot that you are talking about.But yeah Aussies have 6 Croatians. Vidmar,Viduka,Bresciano (half),Kalac, Culina and Popovic. So yeah the team is very well dominated by Croatians, its safe to say I hae two Croatian teams in the cup.

2. aceallic

aceallic Member

Congrats to the Aussie team. They deserved it, in fact they should have been playing at the world stage in 98 had they been disciplined and held their nerve against Iran. This time around if we get the same team (Iran - as they qualified also) in 2006 there will be revange (having taken revange against Uruguay, one by one they are falling) heheh.

The reason why so many Croatians are in the Aussie team is because Croats were one of the first Euro people to populate Australia (Sydney/Melbourne) over 100 years ago. Same with Italians, Serbs, Greeks, etc. Those countries were huge on soccer (in fact soccer is the prime sport over there) and it was just natural for them to start it out... Croatia are indeed excellent in soccer (they have qualified each time since the split up of Yugoslavia and we must not forget that Yugoslaia was once a power nation in soccer (football). ;) Check out the history stats and you'll see how many times they progressed the group stage and in fact gone to last 8 etc... in the world cup (Specifically Euro championships). Its only natural to see them play so well now days too. They are bloody proud of their football roots....

I predict Aussies going past the group stage next year. They are capable. Finally the OCEANIA is represented.

3. Icarus

Icarus Shamone

Suker. The man is a legend! What a striker. Brilliant. Didnt he boot a goal from behind the halfway mark after the whistle in some world cup match (think it was 98) straight into the goals. Im sure I remember something like that. Top stuff!

4. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

I think there are more Greeks, Italians and Lebs here than Croatians or am I just living in a Mediterranean dominated part of Aus. There's definitely a lot of ricers being driven around the streets here :lol:.

s

5. Icarus

Icarus Shamone

Yeah I think most of the croats live in melbourne.

6. Icarus

Icarus Shamone

haha check out the ads for google. Its gone croatia mad!

7. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

I think it is safe to call it football again.

with Aussie Rules and Rugby now getting bigger in Sydney when you say footy it no longer means just League.

Besides nobody ever called League football anyway it was always 'the footy'.

The Sydney FC slogan is "It's Football but not as you know it"

s

8. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

Is Melbourne still dominated by Greeks?

How is it with Asians down there?

My sister in law came to Sydney and said she felt like she was in China, we are also starting to get flooded with Indians too.

s

9. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

What ads do you mean - the google site?

I notice also the jockey that rode Makybe Diva was basically wearing the Croatian flag on his satins.

What's the story there - Croatian heritage? - his surname doesn't indicate it. Croatians are usually too tall to be jockeys. I guess the tallness goes hand in hand with their prominence in Basketball.

s

10. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

The owner's name is Tony Santic... maybe that's a clue

11. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

:lol: I almost read that as Tony Satanic.

s

12. Icarus

Icarus Shamone

The google ads at the top of the page just below the Dungeon/Lord logo. And yes Diva's owner is a croat thats why the jockey had those colours.

13. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

Google AdWords analyses the page before it loads and presents ads relevant to what content's on there. This page is full of comments about Croatia so the ads reflect that.

Go to the Canberra thread and I bet you see stuff about Canberra. :)

14. Icarus

Icarus Shamone

I knew about that, I just didnt realise it was seperate for each thread, board etc. I thought it just randomly chose subjects from any place on the whole of ultimate metal. Wow you learn something new everyday.

15. cro4eva

cro4eva Member

Croatia never made World Cup 94...and Yugoslavia a power nation in football? I thought it was only the young guns in that 1990 World Championship that were good, I dont know much of Yugos past in football. But yeah ever since the break up Croatia have been very dominant in the World of Footbal comming 3rd in there first world cup.

My prediction, 4th place for Aussies. THats what Guus did for HOlland and Korea so he might do it for us lol.

16. cro4eva

cro4eva Member

Croatian Owner.

I think you may be talking about the match against Denmark, where that Danish keeper was coming up for the corner the Suker got the ball and ran all the way and scored? If so I think that was a Euro 96 Qualification or a group match in the Euro, I dont remember what it was for I just remember watching it, I was to young to understand lol

17. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

It rings a bell, I think there was a game in the World Cup where he kicked a goal from half way into goal just after the starting whistle.

It may have broken a record for the fastest score after whistle or something.

As for them not making the World Cup in 94, the war had just finished @ that time, I remember this because it was the year my brother went there to join the commmandos.

Croatian males basically had fled the country during the war so it would have taken some time to get a football team together.

I have heard stories of when Croatia was assembling the army and guys would flee their homes and hide out in hotels. The army would walk in round them up and throw them in the back of the truck, the same if they saw an eligible male walking on the street - You're in the army now!

Some thought my brother was mad, he arrives when others were eager to leave. He still had to convince them he had Croatian heritage and had been in the Aus. Commando Reserves.

s

18. cro4eva

cro4eva Member

Id say your brother is mad too, is he ok tho? My family flead in 91, it was jsut horrible (obviously) I am told, i was to young to remember. Left the whole other family behind, but lukily they all survived.

And I did not know anything about Suker scoring from half way, not in 98 anyways. Plus its definnalty not the fastest goal, becuase here in Aus Adelaide Vs Sydney Croatia, right on Kick off the Adlaide player kicked it and scored, at least i think that was the first kick off and not 2nd half HAHA.

If its not that than I have heard about a 5 second goal, But dont quote me on that I could just be imagining it lol.

19. aceallic

aceallic Member

The fastest goal was by that Turkish player in the WC semi final against South Korea in 2002. Under 20 seconds. I think.

As for Croatians, Suker was great but Mario Stanic (Bosnian [Sarajevo] born Croat international) struck the best ever goal of all time (haha bold but true). Check the link to his goal for Chalsea here (5 years ago):

http://www.chelsea.no/temp/00_01chelseavwhamstanic.mpg

:)

20. Stormster

Stormster Somewhere Far Beyond

not the best goal ive seen, buts its pretty damn good

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.