This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

WOW- Michele Luppi New Keyboardist for Whitesnake!

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by nightwish58, Apr 17, 2015.

1. nightwish58

nightwish58 Member

Just saw the announcement on his Facebook page and on www.whitesnake.com
    How about a Whitesnake/Secret Spehere US Tour!

2. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Member

So, the impression I get is that he's their new keyboardist and likely backup singer, since last I knew it was still David Coverdale's band (and doing the Purple Album stuff to boot.)

I didn't realize he did more than sing. Good deal for him.

3. Harvester

Harvester The Promoter

Edited the thread title.

4. Azrael LenGraden

Azrael LenGraden Lake Of Fire

Yes...this was quite surprising... I guess the Whitesnake gig is still a very coveted job... I last saw them about 5 years ago opening for Priest and while the band was spot on David was showing the signs of being in his mid 60s. I would imagine Michael will sing all the high parts and blend them in with David's low parts... either way I am intrigued... I hop this does not spell the end for Michael in SS.

5. Met-Al

Met-Al Member

I don't think Luppi's days with Secret Sphere are over, Azrael LenGraden. I imagine that he's only handling keyboard duties for this tour, as they're going to need a keyboardist more than they ever have in the last thirty years now that they're performing a bunch of Deep Purple tunes. Besides, Secret Sphere is promoting their new re-recorded "A Time Never Come" album. Also, Luppi can't leave the band until Glenn has them over to redeem themselves at ProgPower;).

Stay metal. Never rust.
    Albert

6. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Member

From his bio on the Whitesnake web site, it looks like Luppi has a lot of irons in the fire between this, Secret Sphere, and his solo career.

7. Stevie WOnder

Stevie WOnder Not so active member

I understand that this is a bread and butter thing for him. I just hope he doesn't waste his talent in this and keeps at fronting a band. I miss hearing him putting out records...

8. nightwish58

nightwish58 Member

Sorry Glenn, must have misread the news. It was early! Thanks for updating and correcting...

9. TwizstedJesus

TwizstedJesus Member

I don't believe that Secret Sphere needs redemption for their ProgPower appearance. Ramon was a little strange in his actions as a frontman, but the band performed pretty damn good from what I remember! But it would be nice to see them with Luppi

10. Met-Al

Met-Al Member

I enjoyed Secret Sphere's performance in 2003 as well, TwizstedJesus, but I thought that aside from Ramon's awkwardness on stage, his voice was lacking a bit. I think we can agree that Michele would go over much better.

Stay metal. Never rust.
    Albert

11. Claus / Intromental

Claus / Intromental 20 years of uniting the powers of metal

Interesting how people seem to love Michele Luppi's last PPUSA performance so much. To me it was like hearing an air raid siren for 60 minutes. I like him on albums, where he is controlled, but live he was nothing but annoying. I've gone back and viewed the YouTube videos multiple times (including the one Glenn posted here), because of the fact that everyone I talk to keep telling me how fantastic they thought he was, but there's nothing there that tells me anything contrary to my original impression. It's almost painful to listen to in my opinion.

Ramon however, I've seen multiple times with Secret Sphere and I always loved his voice live. Sure, his "no shoes" and "over-the-top-happy-happy" antics might draw away from the performance, and his accent is a bit too heavy for most, but vocally / technically I have nothing to complain about.

Oh well - different strokes for different folks.

Claus

PS: I do not like the new redone version of Secret Sphere's "A Time Never Come" at all - not necessarily because of Luppi's voice (although I love Ramon's so much more), but mainly because it seems completely without any power and emotion. One of the original classic European power releases of the early 90's that should not have been redone.

12. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Member

To be honest, I don't have much memory of Luppi's live performance, since I only just got familiar with the material that weekend with a cheap copy of Stream Of Consciousness. I thought Secret Sphere was pretty great when I saw them, tho I didn't like the new album at the time.

As for the remake, it is going to be tough to top the original, tho I understand that there may be business reasons why the remake exists, given that the original is out of print and it looks like it is going to remain so.

13. Stevie WOnder

Stevie WOnder Not so active member

You're in the minority here Claus. While he wasn't on pitch all the time, he was very commanding and could hit the notes. He has one of the smoothest tones out there and to me, that was one of the best shows I've seen at PP USA.

I get that you simply don't like him and that's the reason why you keep bashing him! :p

14. adaher

adaher Member

Being in Whitesnake is like being in the best cover band ever. He's going to get to do Whitesnake and Deep Purple songs with David Coverdale. What could be better? Plus he'll get paid!

15. metalprof

metalprof Ken Luther

Whitesnake is playing very close to here soon. Should I get tickets close to the front and then just start yelling out the names of Vision Divine songs?

16. Sir Exar Kun

Sir Exar Kun Member

You might be referring to the one in Huber Heights OH, and I already have row 7 tickets and plan on doing almost exactly that!!!

17. edgeofthorns

edgeofthorns 24 Hours Ago...

This is bizarre news! I wouldn't have guessed Luppi landing in Whitesnake in a million years. As for his ProgPower Performance a few years back, I thought he was stellar. To be honest, I caught myself wondering if he was really singing live! I mean that in a good way too.

~Brian~

18. Azrael LenGraden

Azrael LenGraden Lake Of Fire

Totally agree

19. MysticX9

MysticX9 Member

Yeah my thoughts as well, great vocalist who I never would have seen ending up in Whitesnake, curious how this will work out -

20. TwizstedJesus

TwizstedJesus Member

I have to agree with Claus. His vocal delivery live is all over the place and it grates on your nerves after awhile. To see him with Secret Sphere is kind of like seeing Kamelot with Michael Erickson. It would be cool to see but it will never compare to the original