This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Your favourite moment(s) on Crimson 2

Discussion in 'Dan Swanö' started by batmura, Oct 9, 2003.

1. batmura

batmura Sea of Tranquility

So, since most of us got the new album, and have been playing the shit out of it, how about discussing our favourite moments on it? So far, I consider the main intro of the CD very death metallish. A lot more DM than C1. The second half of the CD sees Dan experimenting more with his prog roots and I swear this little section is a Moontower outtake. I can't put my finger on it, but it's right out of the Moontower vaults.

Dan's clean singing is killer. I can't believe this is the same guy who sang on Alive Again. How on earth can one's most soothing, sorrowful voice change so much? I'm talking about the ballady section followed by the technical cutting edge guitar solo... that voice kills! And it sounds nothing like anything off of the Nightingale or Unicorn CDs. It's great he manages to use his voice so multidimensional.

I will get back to this thread with track numbers to point out my favourite spots. I do like Dan's growls, though they sound slightly different than they did back in 1998.

Last but not least, it's great that Mike Wead played on this disc. I was dismayed when I learned Eklundh was out, cause he really is a guitar god. It would have been amazing to hear his beyond godly technical solos on here, but Dan managed to find a suitable replacement, someone with more experience and deeper songwriting ability.

I feel the drumming is fairly good, though Dan played MUCH better on Moontower. The drumming on Moontower is not only the best of any of Swano project, but one of the best ever in my opinion.

The keys didn't bother me at all, like they did some others. I was ready for them and I did want to hear them. I am pleased that C2, after all, turned to be more different than its predecessor. Music flows, everything changes. It is good to hear the hints of part 1 and I love the fact that Dan used those melody lines deep down in the music, as opposed to making them the backbone if you know what I mean. This melody lined keeps part 1 going for like 12-13 minutes on the CD and it's beautiful. However I wouldn't want to hear it again just cause this is a follow-up. Dan did an amazing job by pushing it right beneath the other layered instruments and he achieved two things: 1) We all know we are listening to Crimson 2) we all know the music has progressed a lot over the years.

It's good to see Dan's version of EOS. I like it. The mix of the vocals is 'different' for lack of a better term. I did get used to them with each listen, but I must say I was a bit put down when I first heard them. Must be my love of the vocals on Moontower.

Yes? Any comments?

2. ChromeLife

ChromeLife askew

Here are a couple tracks I am really into...

Track 42 - Wonderful Melody

Track 37- Awesome Key, and Guitar solo... perfect

Track 35- Holy shit mosh... and with those harmonies going... crazy

Track 39- YES! - Great rock out.. perfect vocal delivery

Track 40... Prolly my favorite guitar bit, great clean vocals

- Dan took people to fuckin school on this one. Amazing.

3. starchildo@aol.com

track 23 when the keyboard begins. Reminds me of "uncreation" from moontower. It soars!

4. Finnn

Finnn ...for my demons

From minute 35 onward !

5. The Dreamreader

The Dreamreader Stark. Raving. Sane.

There is a riff in track 5 that sounds almost like Meshuggah, the way it goes off-kilter with a jutting stop-start method. I went nuts when I heard that riff, and then as it leads into track six there is a quieter section that sounds almost like something from Cynic's "Focus".

These riffs are so killer. I never dreamed it would be this damn heavy. I wanna thrash round my room like a maniac.

6. The Grand Design

The Grand Design The Jester Race Submits

Yeah, that odd timing riff is fucking amazing. Everything just goes silent and the guitar plays the riff by itself once then these amazing keyboards come on over the top with the bass drum following the guitar riff note for note, beat for beat. Not extremely complicated but so fucking powerful. I would rate that riff as one of my top ten riffs ever.

7. HailTheKing

HailTheKing New Metal Member

Track 1-2-42 amazing intro and outro - I like how it starts slowly and the kicks in into heavy part and then ends with the same theme!

Track 3 - Awesome theme that repeats around track 39

Track 22 - very nice keyboard peice

Track 28 - awesome solo

Track 43 - Old Crimson I theme - It is also used somewhere else - can't remeber

There are many awesome parts - for all I care - the entire thing is AWESOME - I listen to it from the begging to the end!!

ROCK ON DAN

8. Blekota

Blekota Member

Track 18 - great keys and vocal!

9. Psycho_mantis18

Psycho_mantis18 New Metal Member

I think around Track 4 or 5 is the very 80's solo. I don't know why I like it so much. Also Track 8 has the very cool trade off growling. I like that very much.

10. Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe Uttråkad

That riff is in 4/4.

My favourites are 2, 5, 6, 9, 26 and 33 to finish.

11. Geyzer60

Geyzer60 Member

I love 40,41,42 and 44

12. Demilich

Demilich Member

FLY, SOUL, FOR THE BODY MUST DIE!
    FLY, SOUL, FOR THE BODY MUST DIE!

So great! Is this the trade-off growling you meant? I remember one other part with it, but this one the first ''for the body must die'' is the higher screaming vocals, then the 2nd is (Dan?) the deeper vocals.
    which vocalist is which, btw?

also, the clean crimson 1 riff around 25 minutes with the vocals "let no man breach the gate to this most blasphemous of halls lest bitterness and chaos be the harvest he would reap..."

the whole thing's fucking great

p.s. i have it in mp3 only so far as one track so i cant reference by track numbers, havent found it to buy yet, and i have no money, but when i do i'll buy it twice to make up for it! :p

13. the_dying

the_dying Member

I don't listen to it that much. The sound (drum) disappointes me a lot.

14. Dmanx Pit

Dmanx Pit Jester of Tranquillity

I'd say tracks 31-39. The guitar rifts in 38 are insane.