This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Your thoughts on the new Dream Theater

Discussion in 'Seventh Wonder' started by Kazar, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Kazar

Kazar SW-moderator

Well, the new DT album is out and I was wondering what you guys/girls think of their new album.

What are your highlights and/or which song(s) didn't you like....etc?

2. RuRoRul

RuRoRul Member

Dream Theater's one of my two favourite bands so was looking forward to this a lot. I think it is a good album but it is not one of my absolute favourites by them (unless it grows on me a lot).

Illumination Theory is great though. A brilliant ambient then orchestral part in the middle which does make it a strange song to listen to, but I find that it works and really enjoy listening to it.

No other songs really blew me away though. Behind The Veil probably a distant second favourite - amazing intro and solo. No song is bad though so it's a good listen, but Surrender To Reason, The Bigger Picture etc. don't really stand out as great songs too much - good, but not great. Was slightly disappointed with Surrender To Reason as I'd heard a lot of good things about it before the album was released, but it feels really disjointed, with some good parts and others that I don't like as much.

3. Frankgate

Frankgate Member

I'm not a fan of DT anymore. I barely liked the phase post-SFAM, for example I found Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds awful. Dramatic Turn was a good record instead, and so does the new album. I would give it a 7 out of 10. There's no really weak song, but no masterpiece either. A good record with a decent songwriting and that's what I usually expect from them.

4. Liampie

Liampie Member

This album is incredibly 'meh'. I like False Awakening Suite and Illumination Theory, but I can't say I love those songs. I'm sadly not addicted to any section... Too bad, I thought the last album was pretty good (it aged well) and I had some relatively high hopes for what was to come. :(

5. Xandra

Xandra Member

I have listened to it only once so far and I liked it a lot. But it needs more spins - a lot more spins to unfold. And I would not want it any other way. "Behind The Veil" stood out most positive so far. After the Subsignal and Haken concerts next week, I will give it the attention it deserves. ;)

6. albrethsen26

albrethsen26 New Metal Member

I think I agree with Frankgate in that there weren't really any amazing songs or weak songs. They were all pleasant, but personally I found there wasn't a lot to them. I heard them a few times and I knew them; I didn't find myself discovering any new things I didn't hear at first.

7. Thematt202

Thematt202 Member

There's some great stuff on there. Illumination Theory, False Awakening, Enemy Inside, Bigger Picture, Looking Glass, all amazing. The other tracks are really good too. Only one I don't love is Behind the Veil.

8. gaz

gaz Stargazer

I bought the CD out of loyalty, that stretches back to the first album in 1989.
    I haven't enjoyed a album DT since Train Of Thought.
    I think I played 3 songs and turned it off.
    Nothing interesting at all, I don't think I will buying another DT studio album.

9. Kazar

Kazar SW-moderator

Funny, that's one of my favorites..!

It's an OK album for me. I really like a couple of songs, some are just OK and a couple of songs ('False Awakening', 'Enigma Machine') didn't grab me at all.

10. Codera

Codera New Metal Member

I used to like them, but I've since sold back my copies of their albums. I've just gotten kind of bored of their sound. The new album was alright