This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Zoo Weekly slams Frankenbok's new album

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Aug 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

Guys,

Just got this MySpace bulletin sent to me from Dan from Frankenbok:

Now, while Dan (and all of the band) are really good guys and I think they're pretty good, I'm not gonna jump in and blindly defend them - especially since I haven't heard the album and don't know if it's good or not, but come on... am I the only one here who also thinks this is pretty sus?

What do you guys think?

2. Goreripper

Goreripper Metal as fuck

I think it's hilarious. It's a crap review, but really, who cares? As Dan's at pains to point out, it's in Zoo Weekly!

3. Lord Tim

HAHA! Too true! :p

4. sadisticsatyr

sadisticsatyr Young Apprentice

wtf is Zoo Weekly?

I would take it serious if it was in Drum Media.

5. Goreripper

Goreripper Metal as fuck

It's a magazine with lots of tits in it, mostly from ex-Big Brother bimbos.

6. Trephinator

Trephinator The Mongrel

Definitely seems suss - especially with the "Frankenbok sucks, Five Star Prison Cell rule" conclusion.

Does a publication actually need permission to print album artwork in a review? I would've thought that would fall under fair use provisions or something similar.

Is it a bit unethical to mass mail out someone's personal phone number?

I've got no negative opinions about Frankenbok, Five Star Prison Cell or anyone else involved - but it seems like Frankenbok are running the risk of inflaming the situation further - if this Toby fella has a bit of power at Zoo we could see a whole lot more Frankenbok bashing if there's too much retaliation.

Just my thoughts...

7. Lord Tim

Ah, I'd say that'd be the general number of Zoo rather than a personal one.

8. fire_angel

fire_angel Timboooooo

Like people read Zoo for intelligent reading. This whole situation sounds fishy, and if i was Frankenbok, i'd be sending some complaint letters to both the Zoo head editor, and the board of publications. Going out of your way to falsely hurt the crediblity/sales of a band is something you'd expect from some moron on metal-archives. Not a 'reputable' magazine. Maybe they can go on ACA or TT haha.

9. Goreripper

Goreripper Metal as fuck

I thought you were a band manager. Shouldn't you know this? :)

It's a work number, but I nonetheless agree.

Awesome publicity, especially considering the bogans who read Zoo.

10. Goreripper

Goreripper Metal as fuck

No, it's something you should expect when you put your art out there for people. It's not defamatory. It's not saying they're cross-dressers or closet homos or kiddie rapists, it's just saying they suck and their old singer's band is better. I've said much the same about other bands heaps of times, although rather more eloquently. With all due respect to Dan because he's a champ, complaining about a bad review is just silly. Launching a campaign against the magazine that published it is either really, really silly, or utterly brilliant.

11. Lord Tim

I think what he's getting at is that it's an unethical way to do it.

We've had some utterly moronic reviews for both LORD and Dungeon where people clearly haven't even listened to the album (I remember one for OSB that said it was nothing but flowery fantasy metal with songs about dragons... um, yes. Sure was. Not :rolleyes: ) and while that's annoying, you do have to live with that.

This sounds like it's something else entirely by the way it's described here. I don't know the facts of course, so it could be all pissing in the wind, but if how Dan explains it is accurate, it sounds like a deliberate hatchet job, which really gets under my skin...

12. Goreripper

Goreripper Metal as fuck

Yeah there's that too, but there's tons of ways someone could have got hold of the album before it came out. I was talking to Greg from Librariusmetallicus yesterday and he's had a download of the new Alchemist album for weeks. It does sound like a hatchet job, but there's little that can be done about it. Dan and the guys have a right to be angry, but they should deal with it in another way.

13. fire_angel

fire_angel Timboooooo

They should bring cold hard justice to the Zoo mob by challenging them to a jousting match. The sword is mightier than the subwoofer.

14. chrisvp

chrisvp Member

well then it does qualify for a magazine not worth toilet paper , Frankenbok I reckon are a great band , great bunch of guys and to have their album reviewed by some peanut who clearly has not heard it is hilarious, I hope they milk it for what its worth :)

15. And behold a pale horse

To be honest I'd prefer to purchase a Zoo magazine over a Frankenbok release, but even more than that I'd prefer to ignore both all together.
    Was his review unprofessional, unethical, immoral? Does it matter? Why must one be analysed over his or her taste in music or opinon - no matter how biased or barbarous.
    I think bands are guilty of loving their music too much, perhaps even blindly so; lending their passions to corrupt their sensibilities and modesties with their art. This audaciousness to demand an explanation for a critique; no matter how simplistic or short-closed I'm sure from the Zoo review we can all surmise that 'Toby' did not enjoy the album and that he prefers another, equally horrible band over it.
    Sometimes a jagged, boorish summary such as Zoo's is able to more effectively put forward the obvious aversion and loathe 'Toby' possesses for the band, certainly it subscribes to the Zoo clientele. Sure he could have dissected the album and spoke more gently with references to it but sometimes something is just 'Bad', why can't we say it so?
    Despite having said all of this I'm sure this 'controversial' review will stand to do more for Frankenbok then its absence would have done. The human curiousity is a strange thing - I for one am slightly interested to hear what such a 'turd' album would sound like...

16. Goreripper

Goreripper Metal as fuck

Which is why any review is a good review.

17. And behold a pale horse

Exactly.

18. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

I reckon I'd be pretty pissed off though if my album got that treatment after I put all that work into it.

19. Rick

Rick Senior User

You probably shouldn't be in the music industry if you can't take criticism though, even if it is from some smacktard.

20. TheDenimRager

TheDenimRager Hats make things better.

Ditto to that. So they got a bad review - so fucking what? Deal with it. IMHO If you cant handle bad reviews, quit your band. Starting a 'campaign' to basically invite fans to flame the magazine is twice as juvenile as the review was in the first place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.