Turisas  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Turisas
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 2nd, 2008, 03:44 AM   #26 (permalink)
Cari

@Siriku
well, you definetely chose not easy lanuages XD
start with some easier languages maybe
(I speak German, English, Spanish, French, a little Finnish so far, can read Norwegian and dutch aswell as a very little of Swedish)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old October 2nd, 2008, 10:25 AM   #27 (permalink)
Osmo, Dalk, Kyy, Kokko and Ulf
Ibby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchips1991 View Post
Hey, it's been bugging me for a while.. can someone tell me what "the man-made birds in thier trees" refers to in miklagard overture? I honestly have no idea.
yeah i was wondering about this one.
help?
Old October 2nd, 2008, 12:05 PM   #28 (permalink)
The Shinster
Penior Member

I'm fairly sure there are man made birds.

In trees.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 01:45 PM   #29 (permalink)
Ibby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shinster View Post
I'm fairly sure there are man made birds.

In trees.
origami birds perhaps?
man made....birds
Old October 2nd, 2008, 04:10 PM   #30 (permalink)
The Shinster
Penior Member

I'm imagining metal crafted birds in trees.
Old October 7th, 2008, 03:46 PM   #31 (permalink)
mrchips1991
Armchair Warlord

My only guess is that the man-made refers to the trees as well as birds, and they refer to bells in towers. This would explain 'out lloud their peaen rings'
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old October 21st, 2008, 05:47 PM   #32 (permalink)
The Shinster
Penior Member

Question about lyrics...?

I took my TVW booklet into school and asked my ancient history teacher what the Greek part (4:50+) of it says and he was like "Oh it's Byzantine Greek" and I was like "Uh...yeah it is..." nonchalantly, as if I already knew that (it's all Greek to me).

Anyways

"Today is the day of our deliverance (or safety) and the revelation of the age old mystery."

And also, "sui generis" means "above all else" I think, I didn't write it down after he told me so I might have forgotten it.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 04:15 AM   #33 (permalink)
GodAm
My Wine in Silence

[quote=The Shinster;7729810]I took my TVW booklet into school and asked my ancient history teacher what the Greek part (4:50+) of it says and he was like "Oh it's Byzantine Greek" and I was like "Uh...yeah it is..." nonchalantly, as if I already knew that (it's all Greek to me).

Smooth dude...smooth.
Thanks for the info! (It's all Greek to me...ha!)
Old October 27th, 2008, 10:20 AM   #34 (permalink)
Nygård
Warlord

It's pretty straight-forward actually. I'm sure someone here can answer it, Foinikas perhaps...

But I like mrchips1991's take on it too.

Old December 6th, 2008, 10:10 AM   #35 (permalink)
The Creator of Failure
The Wanderer

Location: 21 55' 38,218''E 43 16' 50,155"W, Middlefinger-earth
Constantinople was the greatest city of that time, it was the last real remaining of the Roman Empire, and according to memoirs of some western visitors it was indeed incredible. Unlike western Europe of that time which was very dark, the Eastern world in general (including muslim states) were much different, they looked like heaven, so the Byzantines had lots of stuff inside their imperial city which were there to impress the visitors, some of them being bronze trees with bronze birds on the branches which could somehow emit cries of different species.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foinikas View Post
Hello to all,this is my first post in this forum so I'll go on to reply to that question.NorskChick I think the lyrics refer to Harald Hardraada,the Norwegian noble who came to Constantinople along with his fellow Vikings and other Northern men in the same way that the "Varangian Way" describes,following the same route and ended up in Constantinople where he served in the Varangian Guard and soon became the leader of the Guard and a famous warrior trusted by the Emperor and Empress who led many succesful attacks and sieges against the enemies of the Empire.After many years of service he gathered many riches and left Constantinople.He went back to Norway and became the famous king Harald Hardraada.
Yeah, but history mainly remembered him because his defeat at the Stamford Bridge is usually taken as the end of the Viking Age :P
Old December 7th, 2008, 07:26 AM   #36 (permalink)
Ibby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nygård View Post
It's pretty straight-forward actually. I'm sure someone here can answer it, Foinikas perhaps...

But I like mrchips1991's take on it too.
the only 'old-fashioned' weapon or anything that looks remotely like a bird is a crossbow....
Old December 9th, 2008, 06:18 PM   #37 (permalink)
The Creator of Failure
The Wanderer

I think I answered that... there were bronze trees in front of the Imperial throne with bronze birds on the branches that could emit cries of different species.
As for the weapon, crossbows were never used in the Eastern world, and even in the west they were not widely used until the 13th/14th century but in that time the Varangian Guard didn't even exist anymore and from the end of the 11th century it was mainly consisted of the Anglo-Saxons, while the story of the Varangian Way is clearly taking place in the first half of the 11th century since both Harald Hardrada and Yaroslav I the Wise take part in it.

Last edited by The Creator of Failure : December 12th, 2008 at 10:25 PM.
Old December 11th, 2008, 12:35 AM   #38 (permalink)
Crucifier
Heathen

Write the original here if you want, and I will give you a precise translation (being Greek myself )

I don't have the booklet anywhere near me at the moment, and to tell the truth, I never actually read the lyrics, since I hate the Byzantines (they where those who destroyed Greece) but from the bits and pieces I can pick up by listening to it, it doesn't sound like something that would translate to what your teacher told you....
Old December 11th, 2008, 02:39 AM   #39 (permalink)
Crucifier
Heathen

Damn it, I just understood what it says:
Σήμερον της σωτηρίας ημών το κεφάλαιον, και του απ' αιώνος μυστηρίου η φανέρωσις

It speaks about the day Jeshua (or as the christians call him... Jesus) was born. It is chanted during the christmas days...

It is translated to:

Today, our salvation's chapter (begins), and the aeons' (meaning centuries old, I guess) mystery's the revelation (meaning the thophany)

In a more rough translation it basically means:

Today starts the chapter of our salvation, and the centuries-old mystery will be revealed (god will present himself)...

Damned Byzantines, we have Zeus and Odin. We don't need a carpenter as a god...
Old December 11th, 2008, 12:25 PM   #40 (permalink)
strujka

Hey guys, I don't want to start a new thread, so I'll post my question here. :] I was wondering about the translation of the Russian part in "In the court of Jarisleif" (it sounds like Russian, not sure though) and is it Nygård who sings it? I'm sorry if this has already been answered ... I coudn't find it :]
Old December 11th, 2008, 01:19 PM   #41 (permalink)
The Creator of Failure
The Wanderer

I think it might be some old Russian song, I've heard something similar before, but I'm far from sure. And I don't think it was sung by Nygård, first of all I'd say it doesn't sound like him, and due to the concept of the song I think it'd be more logical to be sung by Russians.
Old December 12th, 2008, 04:53 PM   #42 (permalink)
strujka

Oh .. well. I doubted it was Nygard as well, but when I heard him sing "Ochi Chorneye" the other day, I wasn't so sure any more (at least the melody was to "Ochi Chorneye", as far as I remember all he was saying was la-la-la-laaa :P) But thanks anyway :]] (In my opinion, the song might have been sung by the Varangians ... I mean .. it's not so illogical, given the fact they were among Slavs all along their way.)
Old December 12th, 2008, 10:23 PM   #43 (permalink)
The Creator of Failure
The Wanderer

I think it's logical... The Varangians come to the Russian court, and the song is sung in Russian, so to me, it's much more logical to be sung by native Russians since it's their song, rather than Vikings... who most likely wouldn't speak Russian. When you go to someone's feast, the host is supposed to provide music, not guests XD
Old December 17th, 2008, 10:39 PM   #44 (permalink)
utowndude

Fist word of "The Messenger" ?

WHat does Nygard yell at the beginning at the Messenger? It's not on any lyrics pages. To me it sounds like he's just going "Rego!" but I have no clue what that mean.

Does anyone have any idea?
Old December 18th, 2008, 09:40 AM   #45 (permalink)
Lettuce
Twat

I always thought it was "Regular"

Could be "METAAAAAAL"
Old December 18th, 2008, 01:18 PM   #46 (permalink)
*Mika*
'Bridget'

Ready?
I haven't a clue, sounds kinda...well yelled :P
Old December 18th, 2008, 01:22 PM   #47 (permalink)
Katie'Force
Kables

Sounds to me like he says 'ride on' which would make sense considering what the songs about...

t'Lion t'Witch an t'Wardrobe

Shoulders of the wasteland

What's worse than the truth? LIES!!!!

ORANGE!!!
Old December 18th, 2008, 06:52 PM   #48 (permalink)
The Shinster
Penior Member

Yeah I'm fairly sure "ride on" is correct.

Or "ride" something at least.
Old December 19th, 2008, 05:01 AM   #49 (permalink)
Katie'Force
Kables

Woo! Go me! I win! Is there a prize? Please say there's a prize...

t'Lion t'Witch an t'Wardrobe

Shoulders of the wasteland

What's worse than the truth? LIES!!!!

ORANGE!!!
Old December 19th, 2008, 09:06 AM   #50 (permalink)
*Mika*
'Bridget'

Duck?