Turisas  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Turisas
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 17th, 2010, 11:10 AM   #26 (permalink)
Cari

Now official News:
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...ontent=Twitter

EDIT: you should really also check http://www.centurymedia.com/specials/turisas/

Last edited by Cari : December 17th, 2010 at 11:58 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old December 17th, 2010, 04:01 PM   #27 (permalink)
GreatCthulhu
Secret sauce in black box

Hey, there's a new splash page+tune download at www.turisas.com! The title track -- the gods have granted a mighty gift this Christmas!

I like the tune at first listen. Mathias' vox sounds great; some interesting cross rhthyms, etc... makes me hungry for the new album.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old December 17th, 2010, 06:24 PM   #28 (permalink)
silent_night

damn..it will be available in america till March! grrr ill try to get the european ¬¬ also i had problems with CM distro in the past
Old December 17th, 2010, 07:39 PM   #29 (permalink)
Cari

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent_night View Post
damn..it will be available in america till March! grrr ill try to get the european ¬¬ also i had problems with CM distro in the past
I am sure we´ll find a way
Old December 17th, 2010, 10:33 PM   #30 (permalink)
RexRegiRebellis
The Messenger

I've played the song "Stand up and Fight" multiple times already, and I already love it. I started looking forward to it even more after reading and interview with Mathias and he was talking about the progression they were going for on this album, and you can definitely hear it in this song. This being available today has simply made my weekend.

It is a bittersweet Yule-tide treat as now I am waiting even more anxiously to hear the whole album. I'm going to have to find a way to get the album the same time as you lucky Europeans do.
Old December 18th, 2010, 02:50 AM   #31 (permalink)
Kele

It's so catchy!
New costumes! ..But Mathias gave his shoulderpad to Hanu? : D
And Hunting Pirates... Now you guys REALLY should have Alestorm as your support band for a tour! Imagine the sillying around on stage..

Last edited by Kele : December 18th, 2010 at 03:08 AM.
Old December 18th, 2010, 08:20 AM   #32 (permalink)
kilon
I told you!

Man, I really like "Stand up and fight". I'm really curious to see how it will work in a live environment. That is the one downside about lots of additional instruments. But we'll see.

Also, the two songs I've heard now hardly have any grunts so I hope some songs are a bit more in that direction. Not that this is bad. On the contrary. Just personal preference.
Old December 18th, 2010, 09:52 AM   #33 (permalink)
GreatCthulhu

What do people think about Mathias' announcement the album will contain "stadium rock" stuff, full strings sections and whatever? I personally don't care -- bands can do what they want, and we as fans can either like it or not. Think they'll be accused of "selling out"? Id say no because the big epic orchestral bombast is part of the schtick. What do you think?
Old December 18th, 2010, 10:25 AM   #34 (permalink)
GoldenApe
Metal Monkey

I think the new songs are definitely more calm and melodic than before, especially compared to the Battle Metal album. I think the Varangian Way, but also Rasputin and Supernaut indeed paved the way to this new sound, so it's not much of a surprise.

On one hand I really like the change/evolution, because I usually listen to music when I'm a bit tired, so these kind of songs are easier to listen to. On the other hand, I wouldn't be a metalhead if I didn't like the rough stuff, so like Kilon, I hope there are still some heavier songs on the new album as well.
Old December 18th, 2010, 10:34 AM   #35 (permalink)
Cari

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatCthulhu View Post
What do people think about Mathias' announcement the album will contain "stadium rock" stuff, full strings sections and whatever? I personally don't care -- bands can do what they want, and we as fans can either like it or not. Think they'll be accused of "selling out"? Id say no because the big epic orchestral bombast is part of the schtick. What do you think?
I think there shouldn´t be too much speculations about how it sounds just because of what is said, everyone understands a different sound under e.g. "stadium rock" and all this, so...

Also, I do not think that anyone will accuse them of "selling out" when having listened to the record properly.
Old December 18th, 2010, 10:34 AM   #36 (permalink)
RexRegiRebellis
The Messenger

I don't see it as "selling out" at all. I see it as the band progressing and evolving all for the better, from what I've heard so far. I'm very excited to hear the whole album and see the band in February!
Old December 18th, 2010, 04:40 PM   #37 (permalink)
GreatCthulhu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cari View Post
I think there shouldn´t be too much speculations about how it sounds just because of what is said, everyone understands a different sound under e.g. "stadium rock" and all this, so...

Also, I do not think that anyone will accuse them of "selling out" when having listened to the record properly.
Good points Cari, but "Stand up and fight" does to my ears have a different sort of feel than the previous records (although as you ob serve, it's one song, and one can't judge an album from a song). A good feel that represents a very accomplished band moving forward -- but it's simply a statement of fact that generally speaking some fans (no matter the band) want their favorite album reprised ad nausuem.
Old December 18th, 2010, 04:56 PM   #38 (permalink)
Cari

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatCthulhu View Post
Good points Cari, but "Stand up and fight" does to my ears have a different sort of feel than the previous records (although as you ob serve, it's one song, and one can't judge an album from a song). A good feel that represents a very accomplished band moving forward -- but it's simply a statement of fact that generally speaking some fans (no matter the band) want their favorite album reprised ad nausuem.
yeah it indeed has a different feeling, that´s true, when I heard the song first I had the same thing coming to my mind like "wow, different feeling...but good...".

Sure, not all fans will be pleased, I am pretty sure about it, but at the same time most ones will find something to like on the album...
Old December 19th, 2010, 03:10 AM   #39 (permalink)
AndreasS
Dutch Demon

I think that happens every time a band releases an album in a slightly different style. Some will love it, some will whine about it. Same goes for BM lovers when TVW came out.

LastFm
Old December 19th, 2010, 09:09 AM   #40 (permalink)
dennisrammstein
F*cking B.A. Fool

I like the new song, 2011 will be a great metal year
Old December 19th, 2010, 09:39 PM   #41 (permalink)
GameFreac
The Derminator

I like the song overall but the chorus sounds pretty gay...not gonna lie.

Cannibal Corpse - April 21
Kaki King - May 1
Converge - May 28
Old December 20th, 2010, 12:30 AM   #42 (permalink)
reignofterror
On The Road to Ruin

After listening to Stand Up And Fight a couple of times, the album seems very promising to me. It sounds quite good.

I'm a little disappointed that the album won't be released in North America in February though. I was looking forward to listening to it on the trek to the Turisas show. :P
Old December 20th, 2010, 05:13 AM   #43 (permalink)
GmT-Curwen
Wildhoney

I don't like the chorus, but the rest of the song is pretty good.
Old December 20th, 2010, 05:48 AM   #44 (permalink)
Danii
Midnight Sunrise

after listening it few times i must say i really love it!!!
Can't wait for the album!
Old December 20th, 2010, 07:27 AM   #45 (permalink)
AndreasS
Dutch Demon

Amazing how, with a new album coming up, this forum instantly becomes such a lively place. ^^

LastFm
Old December 20th, 2010, 07:37 AM   #46 (permalink)
Danii
Midnight Sunrise

It's always like that..even though i'm always here,just no posting hehe

But now the only question is who can wait until end of february?!
Old December 21st, 2010, 06:12 AM   #47 (permalink)
kilon
I told you!

My German is okay but it would be great if someone could translate this. Also for the people who don't know any German at all.

http://www.metal.de/stories.php4?was=story&id=2080

thanks!
Old December 21st, 2010, 06:16 AM   #48 (permalink)
Cari

One hour. or something. then you have the translation.
but well, I think now that the first review is up, I can finally state that I also already heard the full album (because I do work as press, too), and can really really state that you shouldn´t base your thoughts or expectations on the coming reviews because the album does have many different kinds of sounds and appearances and at times, at leats for me, it´s hard to put the heard song into the most suiting words...

EDIT: god I hate translating reviews, it´s so difficult >.<

Last edited by Cari : December 21st, 2010 at 07:07 AM.
Old December 21st, 2010, 06:54 AM   #49 (permalink)
Cari

Okay, I literally FOUGHT my way through the review, because of all these "uptempo" comments it was hard - and it´s been somehow sooo technically written.
Therefore: just sense-wise translated, not word by word.
Also I cut off that long introcution thingy that is quite not useful if you´re interested in the song-descriptions (okay okay, I admit, I was just too lazy XD)

Quote:
"The March Of The Varangian Guard" ist he perfect opening song with heroic choirs, kettle drums and trumpets. Broad orchestra parts add to the clear vocals. After an instrumental middle-part, wide-screen epic starts and the varangian guards begin a chorus that everyone can sing along.

"Take The Day!" starts with trumpets, out of which a stamping rhythm developes.A broad midtempo is used, the warriers around Nygard set to move whilst he offers the embracing storyline with a narrative voice. All of a sudden he stresses his vocal chords, a massive stamping joins, a bassbreak and cascade-like angels´ voices. Latest here you can see that Turisas have been working hard on the orchestrations. The piece ends with an instrumental part.

"Hunting Pirates" ist he pirates-song oft he album, but in the beginningscene on the market with choirs, violins, singing and joy it´s not yet really clear if the pirates are the hunter or the ones being hunted. After two minutes a slow intrumental part begins and ends into a solo.

"βένετοι! - πράσινοι!" begins with fanfares and a fast rhythm. The song reminds, due to it´s instrumental layers during the first two minutes, on filmmusic. The two rivaling parties, the blue and the green ones, appear on the “screen“. Again and again battle calls come up and then the enumeration of both teams.

Der titlesong "Stand Up And Fight" starts with a heavy midtempo till Warlord inserts a narrative part after half a minute. The piece of music offers a lot of bombast in the refrain but after the very first listening-experience the song does not have the expected potential for being a hit. That might come later.

"The Great Escape" varies the known ingredients very nicely: first a guitar-riff, a stamping rhythm and poisonous vocals. To this, crunchy guitars and musical-like singing is added. After a straight middle-part, fanfares and choires start and last till a break with drum roll occurs. The song ends with violins…

In contrast to that, "Fear The Fear" begins with a straight uptempo-rhythm with a stress on the trumpets. All of a sudden there is a guitarbreak that reminds a little on the song from the well-known stallone-boxing film. The song is living from a slow but constantly rising tension, which ends after five minutes and a break in a Cinemascope-bombast.

"End Of An Empire" is, with its length of over 7 minutes, the longest song of the album. First you can hear soft vocals and acoustic guitars, always interrupted by a piano. After something around 1.5 minutes the speed rises and a broad orchestration and choirs start. After 4.5 minutes the arrangement changes to wind instruments and dreamy piano-sounds whilst Warlord whispers. The empire is about to end, with much uptempo, choirs and a monumental end.

"The Bosphorus Freezes Over" is the reverberation with stringed instruments and harp. Warlord narrates and then choirs, guitar and soft drums start. After 3:20, for a last time, broadwall bombast (WTF?) beings and doesnt leave the song anymore.

No question: STAND UP AND FIGHT is influenced a lot by film-music and in this case quite a bit influenced by epic stuff like „Ben Hur“ or „Spartacus“.
Nevertheless – and there I had to swallow a bit – you always have the returning thought of a musical, even though Turisas know how to avoid the bombast ending up in cheesiness.
For this, STAND UP AND FIGHT is way to complex and you can always see a certain winking with those Finns.

There is just the question left, where the accordion ended up, because the band hired with Netta Skog fort he album a throughout young and talented accordionist.
This is what singer Mathias says about it: „I do like the sound of the accordion but it pushest he music into a too folky direction. On the album though we wanted to create soundscapes like with filmmusic and that´s why we disclaimed the accordion during the recordings. Live it´s gonna look completely different, again.
Old December 21st, 2010, 07:32 AM   #50 (permalink)
kilon
I told you!

Thanks a lot!
Sounds like it will take quite a few spins to fully absorb the songs. Which is a good thing.

Most interesting part is the whole accordion subject. Since the sound will be different with all those choires and fanfares and stuff, I don't think I will miss the accordion to much on the record (but who knows what will happen once I get the cd). And it will be interesting to see how it will translate into a live experience.