Woods of Ypres  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Woods of Ypres
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack (4) Thread Tools
Old December 28th, 2011, 01:42 AM   #101 (permalink)
Maheengun
Mayiingan

For those of you who will not be able to attend David's funeral tomorrow, please play some woods and have a few drinks to honor David. We might not be there in the flesh but we are there with his family by playing his music and remembering him. Also there are some upcoming things that are planned for the memory of David - A documentary of his life in being made so if any of you have pictures/video's or any stories that you would like to share, please feel free to send them to my email tiffany_mearow@hotmail.com

Also I am working with the family and close friends of David on putting on a Tribute show for him. As of now nothing is set in stone but the plans are coming together. Toronto Ontario is the place that the show would be happening.

Thank you all for your kind words and your prayers. As more details come together about these upcoming events you will all be notified. Thanks again!
Old December 28th, 2011, 11:19 AM   #102 (permalink)
MetalNations

Here are some photos of David from the Heathen Crusade 3 Metalfest.

http://www.midnyte.net/portfolio/HC3/Woods/9978.jpg
http://www.midnyte.net/portfolio/HC3/Woods/10004.jpg
http://www.midnyte.net/portfolio/HC3/Woods/9987.jpg
http://www.midnyte.net/portfolio/HC3/Woods/9999.jpg
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old December 28th, 2011, 11:56 AM   #103 (permalink)
hordalands_doedskvad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maheengun View Post
For those of you who will not be able to attend David's funeral tomorrow, please play some woods and have a few drinks to honor David.
I definetely will!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old December 28th, 2011, 03:12 PM   #104 (permalink)
Novembers Paul

Hey everyone. There's a lot of speculation on what happened. All the answers will someday be revealed, but for now, David's family asks that the fans just try and focus on his life, and not how he died, to honor him. It's a difficult time for them, and they want to get through all this holiday, and the service before details are reveled.

Please don't ask me in private, his family will reveal details when they wish.
Old December 28th, 2011, 05:06 PM   #105 (permalink)
Jolty
Monochromatic Stains

Thank you Paul. It is natural for people to wonder, but it seems insensitive right now.

I haven't got a response from his sister yet, but maybe you know -- is there a way I could donate a small amount of money to his family? After all his music has done for me, I want to help the best I can.
Old December 28th, 2011, 09:21 PM   #106 (permalink)
Reign in Acai
Gnats before thy gums

Heh, just remembered that I had a decent convo with him at HC3, and expressed my feelings on how cool of a lad he was. I even recall buying the dear soul a brew, though everything else is hazy as I was blitzed out of my wits. R.I.P!

A star has risen on northern skies
And on that star we'll be crucified

Old December 29th, 2011, 12:51 AM   #107 (permalink)
The Black Death
WoY supporter

Book of Memories for David ...

( Northwood Funeral Home )

http://northwoodfuneralhome.frontrun...ItemId=1067712
He was the man I used to be ...

- I Am Awesome Because I Still Buy Music.
Old December 29th, 2011, 06:39 PM   #108 (permalink)
Evil Dead
Hail to the King baby

Rest in Peace
Old December 30th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #109 (permalink)
shredsofautumn

Once again, RIP David.

A sidenote to friends:

Now that Woods is in Earache's file cabinet, I don't think individuals can produce Woods memorial t-shirts legally (but of course, I have no idea.) I hope that either Earache or one of the great friends/fans on this forum will one day take the initiative to make some David Gold memorial t-shirts/ Woods t-shirts in which all the proceeds go to David's family for funeral costs and/or dedicated to a fund in his memory. I'd be the first on the list to purchase one or two.
The centuries fade below my feet"
___

www.facebook.com/turnloosetheswans
Old December 30th, 2011, 03:33 PM   #110 (permalink)
lad
Pte. Hell

Nice to see the love and respect folk had for David. Never posted here or met the man but still listen to Against the Seasons... and Pursuit of the Sun... quite a bit. By all accounts, he was a great guy. RIP
Old December 30th, 2011, 04:25 PM   #111 (permalink)
Jolty
Monochromatic Stains

Quote:
Originally Posted by lad View Post
Nice to see the love and respect folk had for David. Never posted here or met the man but still listen to Against the Seasons... and Pursuit of the Sun... quite a bit. By all accounts, he was a great guy. RIP
Yep. I hope he knew how much he was loved.

Last edited by Jolty : March 30th, 2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old December 31st, 2011, 06:08 PM   #112 (permalink)
CanadianMetalFan

I think its pretty fucking cold to SPECULATE that David committed suicide. They had just been signed to Earache, had a pretty successful tour at the beginning of the summer, and the new album was just about to be released. It just doesn't make any sense and its fucked up that people would speculate and make idle guesses about how someone fucking died. Just wait for the official announcement (if there is one) instead of going around spreading drama and gossip. As for me I'm just remembering the good times and the good memories I have regarding Woods of Ypres and David Gold. We would all be better off if we did that instead of engaging in gossip like church wives. Some people need to fucking grow up. I'm going out tonight to party it up and hopefully gain some closure on this sad chapter. It is still so hard to listen to Woods V and I've only been able to make it all the way through twice.
Instead of speculating why don't we post about how his friendship/music affected us. As far as suicide goes I would probably be gone if it wasn't for Woods IV and the e-mails that David and I sent back and forth before and after I got the album. Seriously though my blood is fucking boiling about these cold rumours. Fuck em all.

- Joel
Old December 31st, 2011, 07:56 PM   #113 (permalink)
Jolty
Monochromatic Stains

From Marie on Facebook:

"Hey everyone; Davids Paypal account is davidypresgold@gmail.com Donations can be made to this account to cover funeral costs, and will also be used for merch orders. Anything is greatly appreciated by the family. I will be posting a list of all merch and costs after new years. If you have already sent an e-mail, please be patient as I address them individually. We appreciate all the support were receiving. Happy new year "
Old January 1st, 2012, 12:30 AM   #114 (permalink)
The Black Death
WoY supporter

Old January 1st, 2012, 08:08 AM   #115 (permalink)
°scarlet°
i breathe to memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianMetalFan View Post
I think its pretty fucking cold to SPECULATE that David committed suicide. They had just been signed to Earache, had a pretty successful tour at the beginning of the summer, and the new album was just about to be released. It just doesn't make any sense and its fucked up that people would speculate and make idle guesses about how someone fucking died. Just wait for the official announcement (if there is one) instead of going around spreading drama and gossip. As for me I'm just remembering the good times and the good memories I have regarding Woods of Ypres and David Gold. We would all be better off if we did that instead of engaging in gossip like church wives. Some people need to fucking grow up. I'm going out tonight to party it up and hopefully gain some closure on this sad chapter. It is still so hard to listen to Woods V and I've only been able to make it all the way through twice.
Instead of speculating why don't we post about how his friendship/music affected us. As far as suicide goes I would probably be gone if it wasn't for Woods IV and the e-mails that David and I sent back and forth before and after I got the album. Seriously though my blood is fucking boiling about these cold rumours. Fuck em all.

- Joel
i'm so glad someone said this, these are exactly my thoughts. i was tempted to say something along these lines but was afraid to come off as rude and disrespectful in such a delicate topic, also because i never posted on this board specifically.
kudos for this.
Old January 1st, 2012, 08:11 PM   #116 (permalink)
Mike Sickle
Digital Ninja

I first met David in 2001. He was jamming with a couple friends of mine (Aaron Palmer and Darryl Fletcher), and I got invited to hang out at one of their jam sessions.

At one point, David picked up a guitar and played a few riffs. I heard him play some heavy and interesting chords. Myself at the time, I only played single note riffs and power chords so I just had to find out what he was playing. David was more than happy to take a couple minutes to show me what he was playing.

One of the chord formations I learned that day (and mentally called it the "Dave Gold" chord from then on) was this : when playing a power chord on the A string, you also include a lower 5th on the E string. Example :

---
---
---
-9-
-7-
-7-

Making heavy metal, heavier. That's what DG did.

I moved away from Windsor, wasn't really following Woods, and years passed. It was around 2006/2007 that I started listening again. I remember seeing the cover art for Woods 3 on their myspace and thought it was cool as fuck. I started 'hanging out' on this forum, and eventually started helping Woods/David with myspace graphics, web banners, etc.

It was a pretty sweet set up. I was doing something I love (web & graphic design) for a band I was really getting into.

The next few years held some really rough times for me, and listening to Woods was the medication. I would put on my iPod, dial up some Woods, and just walk.

In 2009, my band got to open up for Woods at a show in Windsor. It was an honour and a blast.

Last week when I heard the news, I was in shock. I just couldn't believe it. Part of my brain knew I'd never see my friend again, but the rest of my brain just refused to accept it. Over the past couple years, every 6 months or so, I'd see David at shows (Woods, Gates, or just other shows he attended), but I had to come to terms with the fact that this wouldn't happen again.

As fans of Woods, and friends of David, at least we have his music to remember him by. And all the tour videos he posted on YouTube. It's almost like we can visit our old friend from time to time.

David, you were one of a kind and you will be missed.

Rest in peace.

\w/
Old January 2nd, 2012, 04:35 PM   #117 (permalink)
Liverslapper
w00t

You will be missed
Old January 4th, 2012, 12:29 PM   #118 (permalink)
refraction

My very late condolences to the family and friends. I personally never had the chance to meet the man but his music was and is a huge influence and inspiration in my life. You will be missed.
Old January 6th, 2012, 01:33 PM   #119 (permalink)
Hopkinator
Life is just pain & piss

News from Joel Violette:

http://lambgoat.com/news/comments.aspx?id=17481#0
Old January 6th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #120 (permalink)
Snyper
Warm and Fuzzy

glad to hear that WoY will continue in some form, wont be the same though
Old January 7th, 2012, 01:32 AM   #121 (permalink)
The Black Death
WoY supporter

Tribute to David

http://community2.metalreview.com/bl...avid-gold.aspx

Old January 7th, 2012, 06:39 AM   #122 (permalink)
Jim"The Rogue"Lyttle

Metalbro!

R I P David.
Old January 7th, 2012, 07:56 AM   #123 (permalink)
Will Bozarth
Everlasting Godstopper

WoY should NOT continue without David. anyone who was EVER a fan of the band would know that.

I'm listening to a radio station's tribute (2 1/2 hr long, including an interview with myself), and I'm in fucking pieces right now.

Available on AMAZON

2014:
February 6 - 9: Atlanta, GA
February 13 - 16: Los Angeles, CA
March 21 - 23: Charlotte, NC
June 27: Williamsburg, VA
June 28 - 29: Indianapolis, IN
August 15 - 17: Pittsburgh, PA
September 26 - 28: Los Angeles, CA
Old January 7th, 2012, 03:31 PM   #124 (permalink)
Miltbrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Bozarth View Post
WoY should NOT continue without David. anyone who was EVER a fan of the band would know that.
Yeah, maybe a couple of gigs in his honour, and then pull the plug.

David was, is and always will be, WoY.

Øl, fisse og heavy metal!

Old January 7th, 2012, 05:22 PM   #125 (permalink)
Descension

First log-in here since the terrible news. RIP David.

I posted this on his FB tribute page:

-I saw WoY play in both Calgary and Victoria a few times over the years. Nearly always got a chance to meet and chat with David at some point. He'd remember me with a smile and was always an easy person to approach and talk with. He really came across like a genuinely nice and humble guy. Perhaps even a little bemused that he had fans who wanted to meet him, lol. I'm definitely saddened that I won't have those great shows and little chats to look forward to anymore. As I'm writing this, I'm looking up at the little personalized thank you note he included with the Allure Of The Earth 7". It's all too difficult to believe...- Rock in peace, David. -

Also, someone is putting together a tribute show for David in Calgary on Feb 24th with proceeds to a charity, TBA. I think the bands have been picked out already, but if anyone here is interested in this event, you could try contacting the promoter:

http://www.albertametal.net/forum/vi...hp?f=3&t=22536

Last edited by Descension : January 7th, 2012 at 05:27 PM.