Ultimate Metal Forum  
UltimateMetal.com homeContact UltimateMetal.com

Ultimate Metal Zine Ultimate Metal Photo Gallery Ultimate Metal Classifieds Ultimate Metal Link Directory Ultimate Metal Events Ultimate Metal Radio Ultimate Metal Store

Sponsored Links

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > The Music > Your Reviews

Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 19th, 2004, 10:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
sate_in
black metal musician

Slayer-reign in blood

i figured we should have an old american thrash thread.......so umm....whats everyone think of this album? personally i think angel of death and raining blood are the greatest songs on the album, everything in between just sounds real similar. plus i never understood why dave lombardo was such an overrated drummer, he just does bass snare bass snare fill cymbal type patterns......gets kind of old real fast...perhaps he could be called influential for doing it at the time, but it is boring in itself. otherwise, it is quite a great thrashy album (i know i did a shitty review..shutup)
Old March 20th, 2004, 09:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Spirit In Black
In Rapture, I'm Reborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sate_in
i figured we should have an old american thrash thread.......so umm....whats everyone think of this album? personally i think angel of death and raining blood are the greatest songs on the album, everything in between just sounds real similar. plus i never understood why dave lombardo was such an overrated drummer, he just does bass snare bass snare fill cymbal type patterns......gets kind of old real fast...perhaps he could be called influential for doing it at the time, but it is boring in itself. otherwise, it is quite a great thrashy album (i know i did a shitty review..shutup)
Lombardo isn't legendary because of his work on Reign.........Have you ever heard South of Heaven or Seasons in the Abyss? He plays some awesome fills on those two.........that's why he is so respected......I love Reign but it isn't Slayers best as most people would think...........I love the Altar of Sacrifice/Jesus Saves part, Piece by Piece, and Postmortem is a great song too, the other songs are pretty average.
Old March 20th, 2004, 11:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Under a Stone

Great album but at times i think Hell Awaits beats it
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old March 20th, 2004, 12:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Psychonaut
God Of Emptiness

A geat album and one of my top ten of all time.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old March 20th, 2004, 12:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
LilFag
Banned

Very good album. One of Slayer's best two.
Old April 11th, 2004, 03:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
poltergeist

reign in blood isnt bad but its nowhere near as good as seasons in the abyss in my opinion
Old April 11th, 2004, 09:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
anonymousnick2001
World's Greatest Vocalist

It's a good album, and it was a new dissonant approach to playing metal that influenced countless bands. I just get tired of it really quickly.

And Lombardo is overrated, even with his playing on SOH and Seasons. If those albums didn't have as good drumming as they did, I'd say he was downright shitty.

Never question the power of catfish.
Old April 11th, 2004, 12:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
lurch70

I have been listening to metal since 1984 ... that is 20 years for you mathematically challenged ... and this is my favorite METAL record EVER! Nothing has come along in 20 years to beat it in my book.

Bought it the day it was released and had not heard anyhting since that gave me such goosebumps as this.

However, if you were raised on The Haunted and other ripoff bands ... I can understand why you would not "get" this or would think Lombardo is overrated.
Old April 11th, 2004, 04:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Terrifyer
Born to Murder the World

of course because even The Haunted's drummer its better than lombardo

Old April 11th, 2004, 04:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
anonymousnick2001

Old May 17th, 2004, 08:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
_SLAYERIZED_

Quote:
I have been listening to metal since 1984 ... that is 20 years for you mathematically challenged ... and this is my favorite METAL record EVER! Nothing has come along in 20 years to beat it in my book.

Bought it the day it was released and had not heard anyhting since that gave me such goosebumps as this.

However, if you were raised on The Haunted and other ripoff bands ... I can understand why you would not "get" this or would think Lombardo is overrated.
Youre so right lurch! Those kiddys who listen to this new school hardcore thrash with death vocals (the haunted, carnal forge and other crap) think its real thrash and think to have an opinion. Its always a good laugh... but then again its sad.

All hail the best album ever!

DAve Lombardo is my favorite musician. He is godlike! \m/
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
anonymousnick2001

Something smells of fanboy and it's not me.

Old May 24th, 2004, 10:07 AM   #13 (permalink)
Bleakest Harvest
\m/Misanthropic Hippy\m/

You're no metal fan if you haven't got this album!

Old May 24th, 2004, 02:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
lurch70

Quote:

of course because even The Haunted's drummer its better than lombardo
it really has nothing to do with who is better at their instrument ... it has to do with songwriting.

I am a Slayer fanboy .. this is true ... been listening to them since 1984 ... not many bands have held my attention that long ...
Old May 27th, 2004, 11:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
HailIron
Afterbirth of a Midget

The best album ever with the best song ever.....Angel of Death
Old May 28th, 2004, 12:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
Schwinn

It is a classic album. I prefer Seasons but both are equally good. Haven't liked anything about Slayer since the Decade of Aggression discs.
Old May 30th, 2004, 04:47 AM   #17 (permalink)
Episteme

It's good but Seasons is better imo....And yes I don't have this album, what ya gonna do about it?
Old May 31st, 2004, 02:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
LilFag
Banned

Raining Blood is my favourite Slayer song.
Old June 2nd, 2004, 02:08 AM   #19 (permalink)
BeyondtheUnholyGrave
Powerslave

Although Haunting the Chapel is my favorite, Reign in Blood is definitely crushing beyond words.
Awaiting discovery - Chuck Schuldiner R.I.P.

Old June 2nd, 2004, 10:14 PM   #20 (permalink)
_SLAYERIZED_

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxChaoticManifestoxx
I don't have this album

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SLAYER ÜBER ALLES!
Old July 4th, 2004, 09:51 PM   #21 (permalink)
Unfaithfully Metalhead

This is definetly the album that put Slayer on the map and even though Slayer's musicianship/songwriting was better on South of Heaven and Seasons in the Abyss... Reigning Blood started the whole ball.. back then (not by today's standards) Slayer was considered Black Metal and to me they still are.. they were one of the originators along with Venom and others.. if these bands never existed countless of BM Bands today might not be in existence as well... as for Lombardo being overrated.. again what he did back then directly or indirectly influenced drummers/bands today whether they like to admit it or not.. you only need to go to a Slayer concert and see people's reactions to songs from that album especially Angel of Death... that album blew my mind away back in 1986 when i read a review of it in Kerrang or Aardshock magazine cant remember which... i used to listen to that album over and over when i first got it back in 86... metal fans not from that era because they were a sperm cell, Egg or Embryo will not understand what it was like to first hear that album back then.. now it may not make a impact because of the prolific and overwhelming amount of BM, Thrash etc.. bands nowadays .. but think about where it all originated from and how few bands that played that kind of music existed back then and why that album was and still is important and awesome ... :-)
Old July 6th, 2004, 03:54 AM   #22 (permalink)
Episteme

Quote:
Originally Posted by _SLAYERIZED_
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG Don't hurt me
Old July 6th, 2004, 03:22 PM   #23 (permalink)
Musicazaweapon30

This by far is a great classic metal masterpiece which set the scene for everything that is out today. This is the album that put slayer on the map as far as I'm concerned.
Old July 16th, 2004, 01:40 AM   #24 (permalink)
Blind Thrasher

Let's just put it this way. Reign in Blood is probably 29 minutes of the greatest thrash metal songs that we have heard. The next greatest thrash album is Megadeth's Rust in Peace or So Far So Good ect. Catch my Drift.

F, is for fighting
R, is for red
Ancestor's blood in battles they've shed
E, we elect them
E, we eject them
In the land of the free and the home of the brave
D, for your dying
O, your overture
M, will cover your grave with manure
This spells out freedom, it means nothing to me
As long as there is a P.M.R.C
Old July 24th, 2004, 03:20 AM   #25 (permalink)
Captain_Steel
80's thrash-miester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Under a Stone
Great album but at times i think Hell Awaits beats it

Same here. Their two best albums by far though.

As far as Lombardo's drumming, coming from someone who is NOT musician, just an avid listener, I don't know exactly what kind of drumming he is doing, or what kind of drums, etc. but it sounds awesome to me! I've listened to bands that people said the drummer was great in and didn't like the sound. But I love Lombardo's sound.