2012 top ten.

5. Yossi Sassi – “Melting Clockworks”

Woo Hoo, one vote for my buddy Yossi on here! Good choice, my friend!

• Beto Vazquez Infinity – “Beyond Space Without Limits”

There's a new Beto album out? Hmmmm... have to check that one out for sure!

We should do a thread (or include in this one) where people post some youtube vids (or audio) of some of their favorite songs from their best of '12 lists... there are so many bands I've never even heard of and it's gonna take days to look up and sample them all. Had no idea so many bands I've liked in the past have new albums like Icarus Witch, Pharoah, Lana Lane, Firewind and Jorn.

Woo Hoo, one vote for my buddy Yossi on here! Good choice, my friend!

A definitive grower.

There's a new Beto album out? Hmmmm... have to check that one out for sure!

Well I'm surprised anyone else in the forum knew about him. Being an Argentinian project (even in English) makes it kind of underground IMO. Anyway, don't hold your breath about it. Due to the Argentinian economy condition he has to sell it through his website at a demented S&H fees. I'll probably have to wait quite some time until a copy shows on eBay.

We should do a thread (or include in this one) where people post some youtube vids (or audio) of some of their favorite songs from their best of '12 lists... there are so many bands I've never even heard of and it's gonna take days to look up and sample them all. Had no idea so many bands I've liked in the past have new albums like Icarus Witch, Pharoah, Lana Lane, Firewind and Jorn.

Not a bad idea, only in my experience You Tube seldom has what I want or need to post. Specially in some not very mainstream bands/artists. Still I can throw you some stuff on the bands mentioned ;)

must advise the Firewind song is the only heavy one, the rest of the album ranges form average to boring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I'm surprised anyone else in the forum knew about him. Being an Argentinian project (even in English) makes it kind of underground IMO. Anyway, don't hold your breath about it. Due to the Argentinian economy condition he has to sell it through his website at a demented S&H fees. I'll probably have to wait quite some time until a copy shows on eBay.

I have his first album from 2001... back then I was collecting theatrical concept albums with multiple singers like Ayreon, Missa Mercuria, Gary Hughes, and Nikolo Kotzev. I'm a bit behind the times though.. apparently he's put out several albums since that one! Had no idea and I've gradually wandered off that style of music except on rare occassions... so, like you, I'll wait and see if it becomes affordable at some point in the future.

Not a bad idea, only in my experience You Tube seldom has what I want or need to post. Specially in some not very mainstream bands/artists. Still I can throw you some stuff on the bands mentioned ;)

Thanks for the vids, buddy! That certainly helps... I think the Pharoah song grabbed me the most. All 4 songs are pretty much what you'd expect from these bands, but that one stood out to me.

Here's a few vids from my list of fave albums this year:

And this a new album I didn't put on my best of '12 list because I just got it a couple weeks ago, but it's really stuck with me and probably ranks #4... once time goes by, maybe #3 for it's uniqueness.

I have his first album from 2001... back then I was collecting theatrical concept albums with multiple singers like Ayreon, Missa Mercuria, Gary Hughes, and Nikolo Kotzev. I'm a bit behind the times though.. apparently he's put out several albums since that one! Had no idea and I've gradually wandered off that style of music except on rare occassions... so, like you, I'll wait and see if it becomes affordable at some point in the future.

His debut IMO still the best, he managed to put Tarja Turunnen finest performance even above Nightwish. And having Candice night aboard too made my day at the time. The following three "Flying Towards The New Horizon", "Darkmind" and "Existence" (double CD) had some names from the international scene too, but are yet more into the symphonic sphere and sometimes can be too much even for the accustomed ear. No idea about the new one but I suspect more of the same.

I think the Pharoah song grabbed me the most. All 4 songs are pretty much what you'd expect from these bands, but that one stood out to me.

That is a really good song from the album, but 'Burn With Me' is the best track IMO. Pharoh has never been an astounding band, but they always managed to deliver an acceptable album for me.

Good you put a sample of Sossi's album, it's really a good one for the guitar hero/shredder/prog department.

His debut IMO still the best, he managed to put Tarja Turunnen finest performance even above Nightwish. And having Candice night aboard too made my day at the time. The following three "Flying Towards The New Horizon", "Darkmind" and "Existence" (double CD) had some names from the international scene too, but are yet more into the symphonic sphere and sometimes can be too much even for the accustomed ear. No idea about the new one but I suspect more of the same.

That is a really good song from the album, but 'Burn With Me' is the best track IMO. Pharoh has never been an astounding band, but they always managed to deliver an acceptable album for me.

Yeah, Beto had virtually an all-star cast on that first album... Tarja and Candice Night? That's what made me buy that album! There is a pretty lengthy trailer video for Beto's new album on YouTube, I'll post that video below. It has its moments, but most of his music is hard to digest in samples and I have to be in the right mood.

As for Pharoah, I'm in agreement with you. They never really delivered a great album, but they are all pretty good albums with a few stand-out tracks on each one. Someday, when they get a good back-catalogue of albums, I might be able to make a great compilation cd using the best tracks from all their albums!

Those are a couple of cd's on my list to get.

The Unisonic really worth the money, great top to bottom, only catchy tunes, no fillers IMO, easy to listen at any time, day or mood ;)

The whole album is pretty much like that... mostly instrumental. I think there's 4 songs on it with vocals but the music style is consistent... has an old 70s vibe mixed with Satriani.

I think he went beyond Satriani, specially with the middle-Eastern arrangements, the female vocals, and so. I don't know how much time Orphaned Land will give him to make another, but I would love more on this vein.

I think he went beyond Satriani, specially with the middle-Eastern arrangements, the female vocals, and so. I don't know how much time Orphaned Land will give him to make another, but I would love more on this vein.

Agreed, I usually use the phrase Satriani-esque when describing the music to others... it's similar to Satch's style, but like you said, taken another step further in a direction that rock music had yet to explore until recently. From talking to him in depth, I think he will have time to make another solo record in the next 2-3 years, if he chooses to do so. He is the principal songwriter in Orphaned Land, but when he gets done writing the guitar and song melodies, he passes them off to the rest of the band to add rhythm section, lyrics and vocals. They are perfectionists so he has plenty of time to do his own thing while the rest of OL fine-tune the next album before heading to the studio. For example, they are studio bound now to record their next album, but in the past year he's had time to write and record his solo album and join up with Marty Friedman and Stephan Forte and do a mini-tour called Guitar Universe 2012. But with his talent and growing popularity, who knows where his career will go.

As for Pharoah, I'm in agreement with you. They never really delivered a great album, but they are all pretty good albums with a few stand-out tracks on each one. Someday, when they get a good back-catalogue of albums, I might be able to make a great compilation cd using the best tracks from all their albums!

I'd consider The Longest Night to be a great album. I really need to get their new one...

I'd consider The Longest Night to be a great album. I really need to get their new one...

TLN is their best in my opinion, but the new one worth to be checked too.