A Challenge!

Kevinr

Oct 17, 2009
First off, my preference when it comes to music has always been classic 70's sympho-prog and have found some wonderful children of those artists in the great bands/artists of today. After that would probably come Jazz/rock fusion and heavy-prog ( not necassarily in that order ).

It's only been the last couple of years that I've been exploring the prog-metal scene and to be honest it's been rather disappointing. I find it to be rather stale or samey or just not proggy enough ( and sometimes to techy and proggy ). Maybe it comes down to a melody thing also, I'm not really sure what it is.

I had almost given up on the genre completely when I picked up the new Katatonia disc - granted this is pretty laid back - and it really struck a chord with me. I am truly digging it!

But this disc - as great as it is - has seriously been blown away by Vanden Plas' Seraphic Clockwork. I can't get it out of my player and don't really want to. It is one of the best cd's I've ever heard and at 45 years old That's saying alot. I mean I don't even really like prog-metal ( at least that's where I thought I was heading ).

My questions for you good folks is. Is this disc indicative of their back catalogue? And, What - if anything - out there would come close to this?
I would really appreciate the feedback. This cd kills and I need more!

Please don't recommend Dream Theater, I've been there and I'm not really impressed, although they're great players.

Thanks
Kevin

Dark Suns sounds like a more progressive Katatonia...

I can't comment on the VP since I didn't care for Christ O so I won't be getting the new one...

I definitely like Christ 0 more than Seraphic Clockwork and they are in the same vein, so check it out!

I haven't heard much of their earlier stuff but my friend told me it's pretty different from their last two albums.

I think you should work backwards through their catalogue. At the moment, I still prefer Christ O - but that may only be because I have not yet listened to The Seraphic Clockwork enough!

Thanks guys, I'll be hunting down Christ O for sure. I've added Dark Suns to my new wish list also. :)

Personally i think you should check out all Vanden Plas releases, not just Christ-o. I find their back catalogue to be up to par with the newer stuff. Only thing lacking may be top-notch production.

I've been circling around Symphony X - V Mythology Suite for the last year or so but haven't taken the plunge. How would you say this stacks up to Vanden Plas, at least the Seraphic Clockwork?

Kevinr V is my least favorite Symphony X CD...I'd pick up The Odyssey or Paradise Lost first if you haven't already I'm new here...or go back to Divine...or Twilight.

You sound like Icarus, Kevinr!

Me? Well I've never really bothered putting Symphony X albums un any sort of order of preference, as I do enjoy them all, including the early ones.

It is the production and tonal quality that has tended to improve over time with the canon of these bands.... :)

That's surprising to hear someone say that "V" is their least favorite Symphony X CD as it seems to me that that is often cited as a favorite.

The Odyssey and Paradise Lost are definitely their heaviest albums, V is a little mellowing but much more progressive IMO and is their most "cohesive" album.

However, I think all of Symphony X's catalog is great with V and Paradise Lost being my favorites.

It's really hard to compare these guys to Vanden Plas though, they have very different styles.

Yes you will definitely NOT be in the wrong checking out the bands Chrisg just mentioned. Shadow Gallery just released their heaviest disc to date and Hourglass is not as heavy as the others but they have damn fine musicianship! Now if only they can keep a vocalist for more than one album. Nothing needs to be said for Fates & Redemption. Their names alone says it all.

Hey Crazy B...you just made me think of taking out "V" and revisiting it again...maybe this time it'll hit me hard...I'll let you know...If I remember I think it was the production I didn't care for as much...it seemed to loose a little crunch compared to the Twilight...Divine albums...they rectified that with Odyssey and Paradise Lost though as both of those albums sound phenomenal...who know's when I play it later it might change my opinion.

Wow, thanks guys. You're compiling quite a list for me. Most of them I've never heard. I do have the latest Hourglass release and there are some fine moments on it, but it just hasn't grabbed me yet.

As for V being not as heavy but more progressive - I'm okay with that. At the core I am a progressive rock fan.

And, no I'm not Icarus.

Thanks

I have all 3 Hourglass CD's and you hit the nail on the head they're all competent musicians...just don't grab me like the some of the other bands...I guess it's partly the weak production...and then their songs are way too long and just don't hold my intrest as much as bands like Symphony X, Threshold, Magic Pie, Vanden Plas, Mystery, Unitopia, Spocks Beard ect.

Listening to Symphony X "V"...it is a cool album but it's the less crunchy less upfront guitar sound as compared to the other releases that was the reason it's not one of my favorites by them.

Yeah, I can agree with you there that the production is not the best but it never really bothered me much. To me though it stands out as their most unique piece of work. I would kill to have a rerelease with their current product ion standards!

It's actually kind of strange though, I definitely prefer my prog-metal on the heavier end both musically and vocally (Mercenary, Scar Symmetry, etc...can't be all growling though) so you would think I would like Paradise Lost or the Odyssey the best :confused:

EDIT: Kevinr, get Vangough - Manikin Parade. Now. DO IT!