Buy or Die

Metman

Buffalo Bills /Mets/Rangers Fan
Jan 19, 2006
Long Island
Ken,
When you Write A review on a cd, What (In your opinion ) Classifies it as a ""Buy or Die"' release?? What tickles your fancy about the Disc..Sometimes I dont see it...Maybe others too, when you write "Buy or Die",is it because the cd is really that good???..I know to each his own, I bought cds that I would consider B or D ,,,But to others it might be a so-so cd??? Just wanted your opinion on this....People do purchase on your B or D....But Im sure some are Dissappionted...( Me included).....:confused::confused::worship::D

Bob,
Listen to the samples and then YOU decide if it is a "Buy or Die".;)

Thats If you can find ( Samples) ???? :wave:

Today, you can usually find them (even if you have to search a bit).
The problem is that sometimes the samples don't represent the album.
There may be 2 good samples & the rest of the album is junk. :wave:

Bob:

Its a reasonable question. All of my reviews are just my opinions. What constitutes a "buy or die" album for me? It would have to be an album that rises so far above the pack that I feel it is an essential album to own - virtually a cornerstone album. There is good and then there is great. A "buy or die" album has to achieve (in my opinion) greatness. You have to keep it in context of the style of music and again always keep in mind that its a reflection of my taste. I've been doing this for 25 years. Long time customers who pay attention to what I write have developed a pretty good sense of whether they are in sync with me. Being out of sync is OK as well - at least you know that if I rave about something there is a good chance you might not like it. I try to be as consistent as possible but like anyone else my tastes change over time. I listen to different styles of music now than I did 10 years ago. What might have seemed bone jarring 15 years ago might seem very dated now.

It is even easier these days to have an informed opinion - there are samples all over the place: band sites, Youtube, Bandcamp, Progstreaming, as well as all of the less than honorable ones. The music is out there. Seek and ye shall find.

Based on what you buy as well as what you post about on the forum, I would suggest that our musical tastes are extremely different and once in awhile they overlap. Its not wrong it just is what it is. Hopefully my write ups are able to function as some form of a guidepost for you.

I wouldn't say I go for every Buy or Die, or even Highly Recommended, release that I see on Lasers Edge, but I always try to at least check them out if they seem like something I'd be interested in. Occasionally I might get one then once I listen to it I'm not so sure, but for the most part I think Ken usually has it right on the money.

Bob:

Its a reasonable question. All of my reviews are just my opinions. What constitutes a "buy or die" album for me? It would have to be an album that rises so far above the pack that I feel it is an essential album to own - virtually a cornerstone album. There is good and then there is great. A "buy or die" album has to achieve (in my opinion) greatness. You have to keep it in context of the style of music and again always keep in mind that its a reflection of my taste. I've been doing this for 25 years. Long time customers who pay attention to what I write have developed a pretty good sense of whether they are in sync with me. Being out of sync is OK as well - at least you know that if I rave about something there is a good chance you might not like it. I try to be as consistent as possible but like anyone else my tastes change over time. I listen to different styles of music now than I did 10 years ago. What might have seemed bone jarring 15 years ago might seem very dated now.

It is even easier these days to have an informed opinion - there are samples all over the place: band sites, Youtube, Bandcamp, Progstreaming, as well as all of the less than honorable ones. The music is out there. Seek and ye shall find.

Based on what you buy as well as what you post about on the forum, I would suggest that our musical tastes are extremely different and once in awhile they overlap. Its not wrong it just is what it is. Hopefully my write ups are able to function as some form of a guidepost for you.

Yes, very informative...Thanks...:worship:

I find that my tastes are very close to Ken's especially with fusion and progressive rock. For me Ken is like a modern day E.F. Hutton (if you get the reference) :D

Although a lot of times my tastes are different, one thing I will say is that Ken turned me on to Anathema, which has become one of my favorites.
Without LE, I would not have even known them. :kickass:

Anyone who's been around as some of us have
know that Ken is heavy into Fusion, and power metal;
symphonic rock, neo and post progressive rock, not so much
[unless you saw the same Merv Griffen show-lol]
after awhile, you get to know his likes, and dislikes.

in the beginning, I could care less about power metal
in some cases, I still do.
Buy or Die is a red flag of sorts that this might be something great!