Did anyone see Dokken in Coulmbia, MD yesterday?

Still Remains

Nov 18, 2008
Just curious if anyone was at the M3 show yesterday? Granted I had a free ticket and I only went to see Kix (which ruled by the way) but caught Dokken before the Kix set. It was an early set like around 4pm but Don sounded like crap. I thought the band was quite good but he kept complaining about being hungover and how early the set was-I thought it was quite unprofessional and his voice was weak at best.

Just curious if anyone was at the M3 show yesterday? Granted I had a free ticket and I only went to see Kix (which ruled by the way) but caught Dokken before the Kix set. It was an early set like around 4pm but Don sounded like crap. I thought the band was quite good but he kept complaining about being hungover and how early the set was-I thought it was quite unprofessional and his voice was weak at best.

I came close to making that trip up there for that festival, but talked myself out of it. How was the rest of the show? Didn't Ratt play the festival as well?

~Brian~

DOKKEN played BEFORE KIX???????

Wow, I thought the hard rock / metal community held DOKKEN in a much higher regard.
Maybe, but Kix is a Baltimore-area staple! Steve still plays often plays out in the area with his spin-off band, Funny Money. Dokken isn't really relevant anymore. And judging by the above post slamming Don's voice and presence, I can assure you that Kix BLEW THEM AWAY! Steve still has it to this day!

And no, I wasn't there. Could've had tickets, but went to a friend's wedding in the opposite direction.

Don Dokken has always been a weak live singer, and he's only gotten worse with age. I'll admit that I've seen them almost every time they've come to Chicago since 1995, but there are two main reasons for my undying devotion:

1) Dokken is the very first band that got me into hard rock and heavy metal.
2) The band themselves are good musicians who deserve better treatment than what they receive from Don.

As for Rick's statement, I guess Dokken may not be considered relevant in today's scene, but that doesn't mean that they aren't putting out good music anymore. I actually like the post-reunion albums a lot, particularly "Dysfunctional," "Erase The Slate," and "Lightning Strikes Again." I think those who have overlooked the band's output since 1988 should really give it a shot. You'd be surprised at some of the songwriting.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

I have no idea who played this show, but I'm not surprised Kix went on later. They play a couple of shows a year around here, and they always sell out. There's still extremely popular in this area. As is Crack The Sky.

I saw Dokken once in 2002 and was entertained. But even then, his live voice was not that great.

dt

I saw Don do an acoustic set before Queensryche last year and he was horrible. An absolute mess. Same hangover complaints then as well. That and complaints tht he was lacking sleep from all his partying. Honestly thogh, the only good thing about Dokken was George Lynch. (Reb Beach is Badass too.) Don's lyrics always pushed the cheese factor way past 11. The guitar playing was the saving grace...

Would've loved to see Kix, tho. Waaaay underrated and a killer live band...

Have been a Dokken fan for a long time. I have seen them several times over the last decade. Don's voice has gotten worse and worse over the years. Smoking has killed it. Absolutely killed it. I did really like the Erase the Slate album and the latest-Lightning Strikes Again. That album was probably their best since Erase. Dysfunctional wasn't bad. That was their first reunion album. It just didn't really sound like a Dokken though. Shadowlife was horrible. Hit or miss ever since.

I've seen Kix many times over the year's and they sounded just as good as ever and Steve is in phenomenal physical and vocal shape. The entire pavillion was standing through the whole set-local heroes ruled!!