Dream Theater

SAC4160

Feb 2, 2020
Just wanted to get some advice on what are DT's best cds to buy?
Thanks all!

Not a Big DT fan..""But I do have their Hits cd---- (Greatest Hits & 21 other pretty cool songs)

I think their best albums are widely considered to be Images and Words and Scenes From a Memory. Awake is also often cited as a favorite. If you want something heavier, listen to Train of Thought.

I think their whole discography is fairly consistent, but their output into the 2000s doesn't seem as well received. Still worth checking out but I'd start with their earlier stuff. Probably the only album I see widely panned is The Astonishing.

Last edited:
I trimmed out like 10 songs off The Astonishing and came out fairly well.

While I do love the heavy side of Dream Theater, there are some section of the songs from ToT where they should have definitely trimmed the fat out.

I actually dug Distance Over Time and it's my favorite from the Mangini era. Very fun album.

Don't like their earlier output, for the most part. I regularly listen to Scenes from a Memory through A Dramatic Turn of Events, with Scenes from a Memory and Train of Thought being the only two I listen through the complete disc.

You can get your money's worth out of them; the discs are 70+ minutes long. The ones I don't listen to in completion, I get 40+ minutes of solid stuff.

Sample them. You'll likely find something they've done that turns your crank.