Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
Enid - Gradwanderer
Code666 – Code023 – 2004
By Nathan Pearce

enid.jpg

It’s a fact that I am not a fan of grandiose operatic music. Enid comes awfully close to touching on that style from time to time (mostly in the vocal department), but luckily Gradwanderer is such a well paced and magnificently written album I have no trouble at all professing my enjoyment of this band’s material.

I won’t pretend to be a long-time fan of Enid, because I’m not. This is the first full-length I’ve heard from this band. I had heard one song from a Code666 compilation CD, but that’s it. That one song did pique my interest enough to actually make me look forward to getting this promo CD. Anyway . . . .

Gradwanderer is a sort of folk/classical inspired avant-garde rock/metal excursion. I really can’t compare them to any one band, but Arcturus’ avant-gardism combined with Savatage’s operatic arrangements will have to do for now. The piano pieces on Gradwanderer make this album worth buying. They are simply that amazing. I’m not talking unbelievable technical skill on the keyboard. I’m talking about incredibly moving piano pieces. If you’ve heard Arcane Sun, you’ll know what a moving piano piece sounds like.

Enid likes to occasionally kick the music up a notch by throwing in some more metallic moments (blast beats, blazing guitars, etc.), but they always manage to balance things out with perfectly constructed segues into orchestrated pieces. The music on Gradwanderer is really something to behold. I guess you could compare their use of folk and classical instrumentation to bands like Empyrium.

For fans of Code666, I think Enid should probably suit you perfectly (Aborym fans might be a little cautious, though). Gradwanderer is a well-crafted sojourn into avant-garde folk/classical metal territory that will leave you wondering why other bands playing this style can’t hold your attention to this level. I might not be the biggest fan of this style of music, but I know when a band deserves to be recognized.

8.5/10

Enid Official Website
Code666 Official Website