favorite genre of music besides metal?

Funk. I'm a big fan of Sly and the Family Stone, Curtis Mayfield, Isaac Hayes, Stevie Wonder, James Brown, Parliament/Funkadelic, The Commodores, Prince, Zapp, Earth Wind and Fire, Rick James, Kool the the Gang, and The Ohio Players.

Is it true Funk is bass-centered? I've heard that it is and the person considered the greatest bassist is Funk, and in the Funk I heard the bass was louder than the guitar.

Some of my favorite genres besides Metal would be Experimental, and Punk. Regular Punk and Pop-Punk (excluding new Sum 41, Fall Out Boy, etc.)

I'd even say I listen more non-metal music than metal itself if progressive metal is not considered to be "metal". I also enjoy jazz and 80s pop quite much, as well as some hard rock stuff.

Rap although there are lots of different kinds but its not something divided like Metal. I like more agressive Rap. Uh I guess also Blues and Delta Blues, and Experimental.

Porcupine Tree.
They are every good genre.

But in all seriousness, classic rock.
Cream,Blind Faith, Zep,Floyd, UFO ,Beatles, Doors, Allman Bros, Robin Trower,
it's all good!

I like Experimental a lot. Its just that you can take elements from any style and fit them in somehow, and with no lyricial content limiting your theme you can make your lyrics about anything. You can create an atmosphere moreso than other music.