Feedback on my Mini-Mix

JayRodYDG

New Metal Member
Mar 24, 2011
Bergen County, NJ
Hey guys,

I'm kinda new to posting threads and stuff. I've been snooping around on this site for quite som time though now. Long story short, i've been recording for only 6 months or so, and i need some advice on this little mix i did.

Things that i think is wrong with my mix.
-No Fu**ing BASS!!! UGH
-Cymbals sound way to robotic
-Kick is a little weird lol
-the whole balance seems to be off on my end.

http://soundcloud.com/julianrodriguezydg/song-idea-w-o-bass

Im mixing on SUPER SHITSTICK speakers btw.

Thanks guys, looking forward to learning a lot! :popcorn:

Not bad at all for 6 months experience!! When I was 6 months in I'm pretty sure I had no idea what "headroom" was and my mixes clipped like you wouldnt believe!!!

Kick has too much +10kHz, far too clicky sound. Guitars sound pretty thin, but can't say what you should change, cause bass is missing. You should try to use some vsti to fill up the bass part a bit.

Thanks Bryan, and I kinda added 10kHz at the last moment before uploading it because i thought it sounded too dull and wanted the kick to pop out in the mix. And everytime i try to get the bass tones with a vst plugin, it sounds terrible. I dont have a bass so its impossible for me to do it. Although i wanted to try the sine wave trick or play the bass notes clean, and then convert the notes to midi, and enable trillian on the track. I just never got around to it. Ill upload a newr mix soon. Anything else you might wanna add? once i have a nice thick bassline with tight playing, making my guitars sound thicker should be no problem. Thanks for the feedback

I know this isn't the proper way to go about it, but you could always record the "bass" with your guitar and pitch it down an octave. Its not going to get you the same results as a real bass, but it works to help fill out the low end and with some tweaking it can be quite convincing sometimes!

My suggestions: get some bass in there, humanize the OHs, turn the snare down, and back off on the guitar track editing.

Thanks for the input! I'm definitely going to get some thick bass in there. I literally just got a bass guitar, a good one too! And how would I go about humanizing the cymbals? I'm using cubase and I can't seem to get the cymbals to sound natural. And what's wrong with the guitar track? Can u go in detail? Thanks

Thanks for the input! I'm definitely going to get some thick bass in there. I literally just got a bass guitar, a good one too! And how would I go about humanizing the cymbals? I'm using cubase and I can't seem to get the cymbals to sound natural. And what's wrong with the guitar track? Can u go in detail? Thanks

Randomize velocities on the cymbals. I usually vary anywhere between 80 and 100, 120 for really hard hits like a double crash or something. The guitars sound like they have a super hard gating on them, like the waveform was cut too soon. It can sound good on parts that need really tight editing like that, but on your track it just sounds like the guitars were cut too quickly. Let the notes ring out a little more, it'll add much more 'authenticity' to the tracks.