Gamma Ray/Blind Guardian

edgeofthorns

24 Hours Ago...
Jan 2, 2005
City beneath the surface
Ken,

Gamma Ray and Blind Guardian are two veteran bands oddly enough I've never gotten into. Will you recommend where to start with these two bands? If I understand correctly, both bands have went through some lineup and sound changes, right? If so, will you break their releases up into seperate eras or whatever?

Thanks for you help,

Brian Clough
Gray, TN

Brian:

Gamma Ray isn't my bag at all. To me it's just a lot of blazing speed and mediocre vocals. Hopefully someone else can chime in here with more thoughtful input. Remember I'm the prog guy. With regards to Blind Guardian I find the more recent albums to be a bit more to my liking. They are more polished, Hansi's coarse vocals have been micro-planed with layer upon layer of harmony that make me think of Queen. The early albums are a mix of thrash and power metal and you can hear the sound gradually become more "produced" as each album came along. I would think there is a direct correlation between their popularity and the cleanliness of their sound - the more recent albums presenting the band to a wider audience. I found Nightfall in Middle Earth to be a good starting point. I'd probably work my way forward. I'm sure BG fans will chime in and give you their opinion but this is my take.

Ken