Hate Eternal - I, Monarch

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Hate Eternal - I, Monarch
Earache Records - MOSH286CD - 2005
By Philip Whitehouse

mosh286.jpg

Hate Eternal have finally made the album that they've been threatening to unleash on us since Erik Rutan began moonlighting from his Morbid Angel with the ever-evolving trio (now recently expanded to a quartet) of musicians hired to help put forward his own version of blasting, aggression-fuelled brutality. I, Monarch shows leaps forward in progression from the group's last effort, presumably a result of Rutan's departure from Morbid Angel to concentrate on his brainchild.

Derek Roddy's inimitable, inhumanly precise and high-velocity drumming perfectly complement Rutan's jaw-dropping axework, while Randy Piro adds extra layers to the bottom-end bludgeon of Rutan's most accomplished production to date. The guitar tone slashes, scythes and roars like some PCP-and-coked-up trio of Hydra heads, the kick drums batter away like machine pistons on overdrive, and Rutan's multi-layered vocals roar and scream away on top with practically unparallelled aggression. The songs, too, have improved - Rutan has opened up his vision to include elements as diverse as a backing didgeridoo section (no, really) and tribal-sounding hand-percussion, whilst the disorientating series of syncopated guitar/kick sucker punches that signifies the beginning of 'The Victorious Reign' is a particular album highlight.

However, don't let all this talk of progression and experimentation lull you into believing that Hate Eternal have softened up - this is still a full-steam ahead, blasting cluster fuck of a brutal death metal album from beginning to end. For that reason, those looking for variation and atmosphere from their death metal should steer well clear. For the rest of us, though - this is brutality done right.

9/10

Official Hate Eternal Website
Official Earache Records Website

agreed. This album has got a fair amount of stick but I think it is excellent. It may not be wildly progressive (perhaps not as much as you imply as the exotic instruments are fairly buried in the mix)but it is still a very comendable album, which i feel is raised above the rest of the pack via the flawless (yet slightly different sounding from the norm) production and the excellent musicianship, particularly in terms of the strength of rutan's riffing.