Is general fibreglass ok for acoustic treatment?

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Jan 31, 2010
Cambs, UK
www.numbskullaudio.com
I'm making some acoustic panels for my mix room as it's lacking absorption (i only have minimal treatment at the moment), but rather than buy materials I spotted a roll of general insulation fibreglass in my dad's garage the other day :lol: Will that work to any decent degree or am I better off buying something that's purpose-made for acoustic treatment?

See if you can get hold of Knauf/Rocksilk RS60... it's pretty good for bass traps. Pretty much the same as OC703 or Rockwool

Higher density is not = high performances.
It depends on the porosity because you can have a very very dense material that doesn't aborb but reflect.

That's what I was thinking. I'm sure after a certain density it becomes *too* dense. Makes sense!

FWIW, I'm only really looking for a "for now" solution, I'm not interested in kitting this room out with top of the line shit, because my workload doesn't justify it for a start!

However...

See if you can get hold of Knauf/Rocksilk RS60... it's pretty good for bass traps. Pretty much the same as OC703 or Rockwool

... the stuff in my Dad's garage turned out to be just this :lol: So I've brought it home, now it's off to find some wood for the frames! :headbang:

For example I found some panels of fiberglass in my shop that are more than 100kg/cm3.... it's way too dense. The big rolls of fiberglass are around 40kg/cm3 (at least in my shop) and they are way more usefull than the denser panels.