circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Knut – Terraformer
Hydra Head Records – HH666-107 – November 7th, 2005
By Jason Jordan

t_cover_med2.jpg

I’ll terra you what, Knut rock. I sincerely wish I had been introduced to them before Terraformer hit store shelves, but that’s the way life goes it seems. Apparently, unless 99% of the metal press is wrong, this Swiss four-piece used to replicate Botch – to a certain degree – and even had the pleasure of releasing a split album with them back at the turn of the century. Somewhere along the line, though, they elbowed their way into the sludge, doom, and drone scenes without truly forsaking their muddy, technical past.

Having been a unit since 1994, this record is the quartet’s third attempt at perfecting the full-length – Bastardiser and their major debut with Hydra Head Records Challenger preceded this 2005 effort. Still, despite “Wyriwys” being kind of like a sludgy version of Rosetta with scratchier vocals, “Solar Flare” being sort of like a sinister alternative to Jesu, and other numbers rife with frenetic playing (perpetuated by chaos, noise, and dissonance), I’m puzzled when I try to put my finger on exactly what it is that Knut achieve here. Perhaps nothing. Perhaps everything. But to be fair, if you’re inspecting Terraformer too closely, then you probably deserve to trudge away empty-handed. I for one have no qualms confessing my love for “Wyriwys” and “Evian”; the latter akin to Isis in myriad ways.

If anything, Terraformer prefers to leap from stylistic branch to stylistic branch, though they never really abandon the concept of doubling-back. These twelve tracks – spanning forty-five minutes – are awash in sludge, doom, drone, and tech. Occasionally the former will overlap somewhat, but Knut predominantly choose a style and stick with it for one whole composition. Nevertheless, whatever they opt to do is all right with me, as long as I feel free to revel in it as much as I have with their latest. Ultimately, this is another fine showing from a reputable label.

7.5/10

Official Knut Website
Official Hydra Head Records Website