MacOsX v10.8 Mountain Lion

LeSedna

Mat or Mateo
Jan 20, 2008
Montpellier, France
Hello,

I'm surprised no one posted about the release of the latest Mac OsX version. I saw Brett post about it on Fb but that's about it.

I just installed it and so far so good, all my applications work perfectly, except "Transmit" an FTP software, but I'm not even sure I had the latest version.

Note that I am not using Cubase, Logic, nor ProTools so these might not be supported yet. My sound card is the Apogee Duet 1. I haven't tested all my plugins yet so I cannot tell if some of them are buggy. Reaper is working flawlessly.

I enjoy the improved performances. My MBP even though powerful is full of apps and files (the HD is almost full) and was a bit sluggish at times when I had many apps open. Now it feels like a brand new computer, with the same conditions.

As expected, the added functionalities are not groundbreaking, I would enjoy syncing my Notes with iCloud but you need an @me.com mail for that. I am not sure I will ever use the notification center (I don't even use it on my iPhone). I think the iCloud file saving service is nice though. Basically it is better integrated now, so whenever you want to save or open a file, you have the choice between local as you would expect, or on the cloud, which then displays the files the iOs way, filtered so that you can only see those the application you are using deal with (like from TextEdit you will not see pictures if you open the iCloud tab). I don't know what it becomes if you have plenty of files to deal with, I can see this being messy or confusing but I haven't tried it yet.

Any reports or buggy apps, or horror stories when switching to Moutain Lion ? Would be nice to fix those quickly instead of discovering it when you need them.

Thanks for letting us know. I'm timid to update since SL works so well with my setup. Is anyone having compatibility issues with any plugins?

I only updated on my MBP, and enjoy 10.8 quite a bit (going from 10.6.8). Not going to make the switch on the studio Mac Pro anytime soon, though. Snow Leopard is working well and I don't want to risk any problems right now. The features I wanted are all cosmetic things (iCloud sync for my iPhone, calendar, contacts etc, the new Mail app, Safari 6 with the search and adress bar being one and the same, versions, and a few other things), nothing I really need on the studio machine.. for now. I still have to get used to the "new" file system, too... I liked it the old way and I was confused for the first few hours using it.

to me it looks like there's really not much new under the hood, instead mostly they've just added things from their mobile devices. i'd like that on my mac though so i've been looking to upgrade.

i'm using snow leopard so hopefully they've at least ironed out the bugs in Lion. guess it could be upgrading day!

I've got it on my laptop as well, loving it so far. Really great being able to sync notes and reminders with my phone - that's the biggest advantage for me. Cubase seems to work fine, opened a mix I had started on my iMac in 10.6.8 and had zero issues going back and forth between the two machines (C6.0.6 on both).

On my MacBook Pro 17' from mid 2010, wifi is all fine as well.

About plugins, at least for me, no problem with :
- Reaper
- Apogee duet drivers
- Waves v9 (need to update to last version of the Waves License Center)
- Native Instruments synths
- Omnisphere
- All Slate Digital plugins I own
- Some freebies.

I haven't tested 100% of them, just at least one from each plugin developer and everything seems fine so far but I don't have plugins from all the most known developers.

- About Waves v8, my SSL and CLA packs don't work but it might just be me being lost between v8 and v9, because other plugins work fine. It seems v9 reads the CLA / SSL pack as not having licenses, but does not do the same for some other plugins. I think I need to switch to v9 for all of them, at least I will get rid of the iLok during mixing...

looks like my computer is just a little too old for the new OS, appstore says i'm incompatible. what an anti-climax. oh well.

Thanks for letting us know. I'm timid to update since SL works so well with my setup. Is anyone having compatibility issues with any plugins?

I'm not sure about other plugins, but the Waves V9 line has been officially OSX Mountain Lion compatible since the day it was released (technically even before that I suppose).

EDIT to specify V9 is officially compatible with MT Lion

Ok I confirm Waves v8 and v9 work correctly.

The cohabitation is tricky though because v9 can say "this plugin does not have a license" and then decide it's OFF, and I suspect that because the name of the plugin is the same wether it's a v8 or v9 one, it then becomes OFF for v8 as well, I had to try a lot of things to make it work, but for those interested, and because it could help someone understand his own waves install behavior, it seems that :
- you have to be sure you don't install a plugin on both v8 AND v9
- check the v9 folder and delete any plugin that is supposed to be v8. v8 system was a shell file, v9 seems to be ".bundle" files that you can actually see. Contrary to v8, re-installing v9 WOLI with less plugins does not remove them, you have to manually remove them.
- have Reaper to a clean cache/rescan of your VST folder
- if it is not successful, try uninstalling cleanly v8 and v9 and install them again being careful of the choice of the plugins.
- Reaper might crash once when reading the v8 vst for the first time but is actually fine after that, I have no idea why. It's usually a bad sign with reaper since it only crashes with buggy plugins, but in this case it works.

It now works again thanks to that. Just in case it helps.

I've got it on my laptop as well, loving it so far. Really great being able to sync notes and reminders with my phone - that's the biggest advantage for me.

Did it sync the old notes you had on your iphone ? It seems it works well if you give it a few minutes to sync, but it won't download those I had on the phone previously.

I created my @me.com account when ticking "Notes" in the iCloud preference panel on OsX because it asked for it, but my main Apple account still is my gmail account, and on the iPhone it does not even ask for the @me.com account. Could it be related ?

I just updated to lion. Lol. Glad to hear it's working out for you early adopters but I will probably stay away for a while.. besides the syncing are there any noteworthy upgrades?

Did it sync the old notes you had on your iphone ? It seems it works well if you give it a few minutes to sync, but it won't download those I had on the phone previously.

I created my @me.com account when ticking "Notes" in the iCloud preference panel on OsX because it asked for it, but my main Apple account still is my gmail account, and on the iPhone it does not even ask for the @me.com account. Could it be related ?

It keeps the old notes and syncs those with iCloud, yes.

Not sure about all the @me.com business; I just activated iCloud on my iPhone and on the MBP when it came, and it's been syncing fine ever since.