My recommended releases of 2005 26-46 +

johnfrank1970

Jan 10, 2002
Madison, WI
welcome.to
26. Darkane - Layers of Lies
I like Darkane's debut effort, Rusted Angel, but their subsequent releases really bore me. The material seems very straightforward and seriously lacks dynamics. In 2005, however, Darkane has returned in fine form. The music on Layers of Lies is much more involved and interesting, yet it is also far catchier than anything in their discography, including Rusted Angel. Like NHL, this is thrashy with cool leadwork and some busy moments, but it is more song-oriented and features more hooks to latch onto. The vocals, though rough, are not as grating as those gracing NHL's opus. The drumming on Layers of Lies is probably a bit more interesting as well. A great comeback.

27. Astral Doors - Evil Is Forever
These guys are writing machines. Astral Doors released this full length album and an EP of original material in 2005, and their new disc is supposed to come out early this year. I hope they can keep their quality control as high as it has been maintained to date. Although I prefer their debut Of the Son and the Father, Evil Is Forever meets with similar success. Astral Doors have continued on with their enjoyable take on Dio-era Rainbow and Sabbath and have once again given us a CD that elicits the joy I feel when listening to the first four Dio albums or Headless Cross. Once again, Johansson's vocals have blown me away, and the band's catchy traditional metal tunes never fail to put a smile on my face.

28. The Agony Scene - The Darkest Red
Another metalcore release that made the cut. This is very aggressive, in your face material with clean vocals used sparingly. The melodic vox are a but commercial, but not overly bitchy, and they are certainly shoved to the sidelines by the gruff screams that dominate the disc. Not my favorite vocal style, but it does not kill the music for me. The straightforward sledgehammer riffage gets the blood pumping, which is why I listen to this genre. God Forbid - Gone Forever comes to mind as a comparison musically, if not vocally. Although The Agony Scene has improved greatly on this compared to their debut, they still have a way to go to reach the top tier of metalcore in this style like Gone Forever, All That Remains - This Darkened Heart, or KSE - Alive or Just Breathing. I hope they keep trying.

29. Virgin Snatch - Art of Lying
Polish thrash merchants with the stupidest band name in my list, noting that my list includes Pitbulls in the Nursery and Surgical Dissection. Anyway, Virgin Snatch's music is much better than their moniker. The obvious comparison that comes to my mind for Art of Lying is Testament - The Gathering. VS are not at the mighty Testament's level of songwriting, but they can certainly crank out some quality crunch. The vocals are more in the death style, but much like Chuck Billy's forays into the harsher realm, they are not offensive and fit the songs well enough. This disc comes recommended to thrashers everywhere.

30. Malpractice - Deviation from the Flow
I had never heard of these guys prior to this release, but they have been around for awhile. They are regarded as prog metal by those that like a lot of the typical bands in the genre. I am not one of those people, and I don’t hear much I’d call progressive on Deviation from the Flow. That said, I do find myself enjoying this quite a bit as simply a well crafted melodic metal release. The guitar is not very heavy at all, it’s at the level of traditional metal bands, but the songs contain many memorable hooks. The melodic clean vocals also work quite well for me. This is just well written, classy, faux prog metal. I would think the progheads out there would eat this stuff up. Then again, I like it, so probably not. :)

31. Pitbulls in the Nursery - Lunatic
I did not get into this French complex death band’s debut full length at first, but I recently gave them another chance. That was a very wise decision. These guys exhibit attributes from both the latter day Death style and the world of complex deathgrind with its overlords Spawn of Possession and Psycroptic. The music on Lunatic often manages to be intricate without being chaotic or frenetic. Most of the tunes are mid-paced, and they’re never really noisy or dissonant. The dreaded tin can snare drum effect is unfortunately in evidence throughout, but things sound fine otherwise. Another appropriate benchmark for Lunatic is Polluted Inheritance – Betrayed, although the drumming for the Pitbulls is not nearly as phenomenal as the performance on Betrayed. Fans of complex extreme metal should give these guys a shot.

32. Swift - The Absolute Uncontrollable
This metalcore crew at times comes dangerously close to modern rock wussiness, but they never quite cross the line for me. Or maybe they do cross the line occasionally, but I like the songwriting enough to forgive them. The band members certainly look like hipsters, not metalheads. The vocals work well for me, both the slightly whiny clean voice and the core gruff scream, which is more compelling than most. Swift is clearly farther removed from extreme metal than the All That Remains and Shadows Falls of the world, who seem a fairly easy sell to fans of thrash and melodic death (I know I love both bands). But hey, I listen to System of a Down and Disturbed so I should probably stop pontificating about metal and just turn on whatever Clear Channel has decided to feed me this fiscal quarter.
  1. Infernal Method - Architecture of Instinct
This group of Aussies spend most of their debut disc trying to trick the listener into thinking they are a melodic death band when they actually play power metal of the American variety and just happen to have death vocals. Then, during the last few tracks, the music does veer into the Gothenburg arena. The riffs on this release are decent, but the real appeal for me is the copious number of cool melodic leads that pepper most of the songs. Yet another obscure band outdoing many of their far more established peers.

34. Verdict - Generation : Genocide
Although they have retained a little of their classic Bay Area Crunch sound here and there, on their sophomore release Verdict bears more resemblance to classic Kreator with a touch of a more contemporary thrashy death feel. The vocals certainly remind me of Mille, although they are a bit lower pitched, and he drops into a growl occasionally. The thick, unassuming riffs occasionally remind me of tunes off of Coma of Souls. I hear perhaps a smidge of Accuser - Who Dominates Who as well, but, as I stated, this is harsher and more modern sounding. Nothing new is being offered on this disc, but it's a worthwhile listen for fans of classic or modern thrash.

35. Criterion - The Dominant
I rarely like traditional death metal (i.e., not melodic, thrashy, or complex). Bands like Nile, Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, Vader and their ilk don't do much for me at all. Occasionally though, a band like Criterion comes along whose playing is interesting enough to keep my attention but is not involved enough for me to add them to my list of complex extreme metal purveyors. The Dominant is an enjoyable CD that brings to mind Monstrosity - Millennium and maybe a touch of Disincarnate, although Criterion has a more modern approach and production.
  1. Surgical Dissection – Disgust
I received this very recently, so I don’t have a great handle on it, but I know it’s complex deathgrind. And I know I like it. Interesting riffs abound on Disgust, though the drumming is not as much of a selling point. Not top tier material, but this is quite enjoyable for fans of the genre.

37. !T.O.O.H.! - Order and Punishment
This is another very new acquisition, as it was released in Europe late in 2005 and won’t come out in the US for another month or two. I feel for these guys. They were about to release their latest CD on a higher profile label with good distribution, and then Elitist folded. Oh, and the band broke up. Sigh… At least we have their last product, which is considerably more enjoyable than their previous sludgy weirdness. Order and Punishment is hard to describe. It’s not odd enough to call it avant-garde per se, but it is rather unique with its thrashcore vocals in their native Czech, undulating guitar that reminds you of early protothrash and melodic death at the same time, and somewhat eclectic arrangements. Just give them a try if you like your music weird, but not too weird.

38. Still Remains - Of Love and Lunacy
Melodic metalcore in the vein of Killswitch Engage (of course). The band pic on the disc makes these guys look more like Nickelback or Green Day, but they definitely pass the sledgehammer breakdown test. The clean vocals touch lightly on those of the myriad angst-ridden modern rock weenies, but they are decent overall. Believe me, if the vocals get too close to mainstream whine, heavy guitar won't save them for me. Refer to Look What I Did, Hand to Hand, The Bled, etc. as examples. There are some great hooks on Of Love and Lunacy. It's all been done before, but if it's done well, I don't really care that KSE did it first and better.

39. Continuo Renacer - s/t
Heavy instrumental metal from Spain with moments of intricacy interspersed throughout the tracks. At times a bit awkward or repetitive, the compositions are still quite engaging, and I rarely get into instrumental bands. The most appropriate benchmark I can offer is Canvas Solaris during their heavier, busier songs. Continuo Renacer does not seem to yet possess as much musical proficiency as the lads in CS (the CR material is not as intricate), but CR thankfully does not incorporate a lot of the ethereal, ambient material of which bands like CS and Gordian Knot can't get enough. A promising debut effort.

40. The Fifth Sun - The Hunger to Survive
Thrashy melodic death from Minnesota! They sound plenty Scandinavian, they're just not natives. Some songs are much better than others on this release, but the good tracks contain some tasty, energetic riffage. The vocals remind me of the guy in Lamb of God. Nothing new here at all, but this independent band is certainly more entertaining to me than many of the bigger names in the genre. The Fifth Sun definitely seem very professional and committed. They recorded this at Studio Fredman in Gothenburg, and they commissioned Mattias Noren to do the artwork.

41. Icarus Witch - Capture the Magic
Retro traditional metal. You know the drill - Maiden, Dio-era Sabbath, classic Ozzy (they cover "S.A.T.O."), Savatage, perhaps a little Yngwie without the guitar pyrotechnics. Think Wolf, only more laid back and not quite as fun. There are some nice melodies on Capture the Magic and a hell of a lot of nostalgic appeal. For the style, this is done quite well.

42. Domination through Impurity - Essence of Brutality
Brutal somewhat complex deathgrind. This is a promising debut, but they have some maturing to do before they can hang with the likes of Psycroptic or Spawn of Possession. I look forward to hearing what they create in the future.

43. Communic - Conspiracy in Mind
Communic features the former Scariot vocalist and drummer. Conspiracy in Mind share some similarities with Scariot's entertaining Strange to Numbers, but the Nevermore influence is considerably more blatant on Communic's release. Oddleif Stensland acquits himself well in the vocal department and does not come off as a clone of Dane. Uptempo numbers like the title track are very enjoyable with their crunchy riffage and catchy melodies. However, Communic loses me a little with their more plodding, doomy songs. I tend to look for more energy and aggression on display, and a few of the tunes really seem to drag on longer than necessary. I prefer both Nevermore and Scariot to Communic, but there is room for all three in my collection.

44. Savage Circus - Dreamland Manor
I have never really gotten into Blind Guardian, although I know I prefer their mid-career thrashier material. That said, I really like both of Persuader's releases, and they are obviously strongly influenced by BG. I guess it's all in the songwriting for me. Savage Circus is more enjoyable than BG, but not nearly as engaging as Persuader. Dreamland Manor packs enough hooks for me to rate the disc a keeper. Never let it be said I like no Europower. I'd rather you not tell anyone though.

45. Candlemass - s/t
I will make this simple. I don't like doom as a rule. Bores me silly. Until recently, I owned two doom albums: My Dying Bride - Turn Loose the Swans and Candlemass - Nightfall. I guess I buy one doom disc per decade because I now possess two Candlemass releases. Just as on Nightfall, I prefer the uptempo tracks ("Black Dwarf" simply crushes), but I can get into some of the wrist-slitting dirges on this disc as well. My attention definitely wanes as the CD progresses, and I always end my listening session with a replay of "Black Dwarf" to jar myself out of my depression-induced coma. Works for me.

46. Widow - On Fire
Traditional metal with lots of melodic leadwork and a decent, non-operatic female singer. They remind me of Sinergy a bit, but Widow is more retro. Widow has a goofy and cheesy sense of humor which is not that entertaining, but at least they don't take themselves as seriously as all these true metal clowns do. The downside to Widow is their inexplicable inclusion of really annoying black metal vocals in all of the songs alongside the female lead. Quite lame and incongruous, but maybe I just don't get the joke. Anyway, this is enjoyable enough for what it is, despite the screeching.

EPs

Arsis - A Diamond for Disease
My favorite melodic death band was kind enough to come up with an EP to tide me over until their next full length is released this year. The purpose of the disc is to present the title track, a 13 minute journey of epic brilliance. Arsis composed this piece for the Ballet Deviare dance company in New York. That’s right, melodic death ballet! The music is similar to that on their godly debut, A Celebration of Guilt, with the exception of its scope. A short original song and a cover of Alice Cooper’s "Roses on White Lace" (nothing too special, but it’s better than most cover tunes out there – probably because Raise Your Fist and Yell is actually a decent disc) round out the EP. I cannot wait to hear what they come up with next.

Astral Doors - Raiders of the Ark EP
All original tunes. All in the same vein as their full length efforts. All are enjoyable and catchy. As I said, these guys are writing machines.

Susperia - Devil May Care EP
Great tune from their quality thrash release of 2004, Unlimited, and some decent cover tunes. Whets my appetite for new material from these guys.

Newbreed - If I Were the Rain
No, this is not an EP, but I am treating it as such to be able to put it somewhere on my list. Half of the tracks on If I Were the Rain are uptempo, crunchy, heavy, catchy prog metal with enjoyable clean vocals. The other half of the songs consist of mellow, ambient, boring instrumental nonsense. If these guys focus on their actual songs the next time around, they will be a band to watch.

Demos

Banisher - Sorrow of Death demo
Very promising three track demo of catchy semi-complex death metal in the vein of latter day Death. I really hope these guys put out a full length disc.

Forlorn Legacy - Paths of Insanity
This would have made my top 10 if it was a 2005 release. Forlorn Legacy plays a very appealing brand of complex death influenced by latter day Death, but they add their own twists and turns. The most significant addition is the use of clean vocals periodically, which really enhances the tunes. The drumming is excellent throughout Paths of Insanity as well. This is one of the better complex extreme metal releases I have come across in recent years.

Hectic Patterns - The Grand Hare Order demo
A French band playing semi-complex death. This four track demo shows potential.

Disappointments

After Forever - Remagine
Amoral - Decrowning
Arch Enemy - Doomsday Machine
As Hope Dies - s/t EP
As I Lay Dying - Shadows Are Security
Behold... The Arctopus - Nano-Nucleonic Cyborg Summoning EP
Blood Red Throne - Altered Genesis
Children of Bodom - Are You Dead Yet
Coprofago - Unorthodox Creative Criteria
Coram Lethe - The Gates of Oblivion
Cryptic Wintermoon - Of Shadows and the Dark Things You Fear
Detonation - Portals to Uphobia
Dew-Scented - Issue VI
Dream Theater - Octavarium
Ephel Duath - Pain Necessary to Know
Exodus - Shovel Headed Kill Machine
Extol - The Blueprint Dives
Fragile Vastness - A Tribute to Life
Frantic Bleep - The Sense Apparatus
God Forbid - Constitution of Treason
Into the Moat - The Design
Ion Dissonance - Solace
Lanfear - Another Golden Rage
Machine Men - Elegies
Misanthrope - Metal Hurlant
Mors Principium Est - The Unborn
Nightrage - Descent into Chaos
Old Man's Child - Vermin
Opeth - Ghost Reveries
Symbiontic - Vaya
The Black Dahlia Murder - Miasma
The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute
The Wake - Death-A-Holic
Zero Hour - A Fragile Mind

This will be you, and just like Rolph here, I will leave you in the park to be leered at and spat upon! Don't test me!

APR25_11.JPG