my review for Judas Priest's new album

Ruthven

Sep 13, 2003
I thought some of you might like to read my review of the new Priest album. I periodically write music reviews for my local newspaper, the Chattanooga Times-Free Press (where I work in Prepress). Enjoy.

Judas Priest, "Angel of Retribution"

EPIC Records

Judas Priest is arguably the definitive heavy metal band. Perhaps even moreso than Black Sabbath, Judas Priest’s sonic attack laid the blueprint for countless hard rock acts. Priest fans were disappointed in the early 1990's when dynamic vocalist Rob Halford left the band to pursue other ventures. While Halford experimented with other musical projects, Judas Priest continued on with singer Tim "Ripper" Owens. Eventually, Halford and Judas Priest reconciled, with Owens going on to perform with the excellent American power metal outfit Iced Earth.

"Angel of Retribution" marks the first Judas Priest album with Halford since the reunion, and, as such, it is one of the most anticipated albums in recent heavy metal history. But with anticipation came dread - would Judas Priest stick to their roots, or would they attempt to incorporate such current fads as rap-metal and "daddy-don’t-hit-me" rock into their sound?

The answer turned out to be quite simple - Judas Priest recorded a "Judas Priest album." The biggest criticism of this album is that there are very few surprises. "Angel of Retribution" offers a number of strong moments, but many of them are reminiscent of past achievements. Of course, if any metal band is allowed to revisit the sounds that made them famous, it is Priest. Fans of classic Priest albums will no doubt enjoy "Angel of Retribution," and the band is to be thanked for staying the course.

Longtime guitar duo K.K. Downing and Glenn Tipton provide some strong riffs, and Halford’s voice is still in fine form. The album features a variety of songs, from slower ballads to scorching rockers. "Angel of Retribution" concludes with "Lochness," an epic track about (what else?) the Loch Ness Monster. This song perfectly shows that while Judas Priest has always been serious about the integrity of their music, there has always been a knowing sense of fun about them that many "hipper than thou" critics have overlooked.

"Angel of Retribution" may not be perfect, but it is a lot of fun - as well as being a great point of entry for new fans. At a time when major label hard rock feels more like a bad recovered memory session than rock and roll, Priest’s triumphant "take on the world and win" attitude is refreshing to hear in the mainstream. If Judas Priest manages to clear the way for similar bands to break into the American market, then it will be a fine retribution, indeed.

Very cool review, I dig. It is a great album and a highlite of my year along with other great new albums from the likes of Behemoth, Angra, and Mercenary.