Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Novembers Doom – To Welcome The Fade
Dark Symphonies – dark18 – 2002
By Russell Garwood

Novembers Doom hail from Chicago, and recently released their latest album through US label Dark Symphonies. Unsurprisingly "To Welcome The Fade" is doom based, but the melodic, death-influenced sound also contains gothic touches, which makes for a more original sound.

Vocals come courtesy of Paul Kuhr, whose easily decipherable growls match the morose music to perfection, while hoarsely whispered and spoken sections show Anathema parallels. Singing adds further variation and respite from harsher sections, often supported by acoustic guitars which give the music a Gothenburg feel. Instrumental sections also remind me of early doom, with occasional female vox (Nora O’Connor) adding more atmosphere in a sound already drowning in sheer hopelessness. Guitars by Eric Burnley (who also plays keyboards) and Larry Roberts switch between melodic yet heavy distorted lines, which speak of longing and anger, and clean/acoustic phrases swathed in wistful melancholy. Bass is provided by session musician Brian Gordon, whose a solid low end gives the music impact, while drums from Joe Nunez are precise and direct.

This well rounded and unexpectedly varied sound is cemented by the top quality production of Niel Kernon (Nevermore, Cannibal Corpse, Judas Priest, Kansas, Yes, Queensryche) which is well balanced, clear and, above all, powerful. Throughout the smooth dynamic changes and differing sounds the recording is excellent, and the music is gelled by a disheartening streak which runs throughout. My only complaint would be the lyrics, which - while poetic - at times I’m not too keen on. But as they match the music well in feeling, this is largely immaterial. All in all "To Welcome The Fade" is an accomplished album, which fans of both melodic death and doom will appreciate, as well as many lovers of emotional music in general.