Pallas XXV

Neoman

Aug 10, 2008
Ken,
Do you know when you will be getting this in (It was released today) & will you be stocking the - limited deluxe CD+DVD edition?
Thanks!

Sal:

I see that it was licensed to Mascot's new prog label (same as Spock's Beard). I'm assuming that there is a different release date for the US. I'll do some more homework.

New Pallas cool it's been a while...I'd buy there stuff blind without hearing a note...hope they put out a version with just the CD...I never get to watch DVD's.

I have not heard the album yet, but it should be here in the next couple of days! However, my pal Gary Marshall - my best friend in music circles and a fellow writer for Fireworks magazine (and incidentally a customer here) - has written the following within his review for the upcoming issue (#44) of the magazine...

"Like several other bands one can mention (Genesis, Marillion, Spock’s Beard and Saga) who all had singers who seemed irreplaceable the question has to be whether Pallas can overcome this change and make it successful like the first three of the above? The answer is in the affirmative albeit with their sound moving into slightly different territory. We were promised something a bit heavier and that’s what they’ve delivered with a definite injection of Prog Metal into the mix which at times brings Ayreon to mind both musically and with the use of narrative and soundscapes. It took me a while to place the other comparison that was nagging at me over repeated listens but eventually I alighted at Arena, which I think is a product of new vocalist, Paul Mackie’s style, which is not unlike Rob Sowden’s....Having seen the press pack and the CD booklet that will come with the proper release all I can say is this looks like a superb package and one that will make old-school collectors like me purr with delight. Downloads? Pah! Suffice to say; despite the changes they’ve produced a terrific album and an early contender for my albums of 2011."

This (and the detail that appears in Gary's full review) was enough to make me order the CD + DVD package, despite also being very fond of previous vocalist Alan Reed's meliflouous tones!

Paul :headbang:

I actually read a couple of bad reviews?
Well to each his own; I have always liked Pallas & I am definitely picking this up!
(like Arena, oh yea!!!)

My special edition copy arrived today; haven't listened to it yet. However, digipack haters (this does not include me!) may be relieved to know that it has come in a double jewel case...

Paul

My special edition copy arrived today; haven't listened to it yet. However, digipack haters (this does not include me!) may be relieved to know that it has come in a double jewel case...

Paul

How did you know I am a Digipack hater, Its a pain in the ass to shelve them, ,, If you have other cds from that artist....I know its cheaper to produce but I could never get into it....:loco::loco:

Thanks for the jewel case info Paul. I too was a digipak hater. Many years ago I would cut them and put them in a jewel case, but I stopped doing that about 6 years ago. Now, I'm so scared of the physical product going away someday that my outlook has changed. If artists want to save money and use digipaks, as long as they keep producing the physical product I'm cool with it.

How did you know I am a Digipack hater, Its a pain in the ass to shelve them, ,, If you have other cds from that artist....I know its cheaper to produce but I could never get into it....:loco::loco:

It goes with the territory Bob!! I could smell your dislike of digipacks thousands of miles away!!

As for the album, it has now had its first play on the PJS death deck and its - er, well - absorbing, and one that you'll need to listen to very carefully (which I suppose is true of all "prog" albums!) There is a direct follow through from their much earlier album 'The Sentinel' and as such breaks the pattern of the last couple of albums.

The new vocalist is fine, although I did find myself thinking about how Alan Reed would have sounded in certain places....

Paul :headbang: