Chicago, IL
satanshallow.bandcamp.com
Sounds epic to me. Anyone going?

@ the Empty Bottle
SAT. 1/30/10 (10:00pm; $20)
Pentagram label: Relapse
The Gates of Slumber label: Relapse
Soul Power Trio label: Imaginary Chicago
One of the most enduring and influential underground bands in heavy metal history, PENTAGRAM has enjoyed a long, convoluted history that brings them back to the Empty Bottle after their floor shaking residency here last year. Few bands have a history spanning from 1971 to 2010, but PENTAGRAM has been a consistently evolving entity, throughout its lifetime featuring members from INTERNAL VOID, PLACE OF SKULLS and RAVEN and SPIRIT CARAVAN, BOBBY LIEBLING has lead these originators of doom metal through the years and we can't wait for their ear ringing return tonight. On tour with the legends are Indianapolis trio GATES OF SLUMBER who play "axe smashing, bare chested, mega muscled, mighty thewed, old school doom metal" and will be playing from their Metal Blade Records 09 release Hymns of Blood and Thunder tonight. Locals SOUL POWER TRIO feature members from SPIRITS BURNING and BLOOD OF THE TYRANT and they open here.

I am going to High Spirits / Ignitor the same night at the Red Line Tap. High Spirits are a traditional / NWOBHM band. Really worth checking out. I am not a fan of Ignitor bit I heard the old singer from Watchtower sings for them now so I will check them out.

I saw the show here in Virginia on the 15th, if you are a doom fan, or just need of a good show to break up your winter, don't miss Pentagram. Gates of Slumber who I saw for the first time really kicked butt as well despite a forced short set and a replacement guitarist.

I am going to High Spirits / Ignitor the same night at the Red Line Tap. High Spirits are a traditional / NWOBHM band. Really worth checking out. I am not a fan of Ignitor bit I heard the old singer from Watchtower sings for them now so I will check them out.

definitely doesn't sound the same, unless different vocalist on their myspace

I will be there, obviously!

My one disappointment though is that Pentagram are playing almost the same exact setlist as last time.
I suppose beggars can't be choosers.

Also, haven't seen Gates since their new one, which is quite stellar.

It's replacement bassist. Their bassist had some personal things come up that took precedence over the first few dates. He'll be on the rest of the tour.

I see. :kickass:

It is Jason McMaster...who was in Watchtower and Dangerous Toys. I m not crazy about his vocals but the show is like 10 minutes from my apartment.

I like Jason McMaster. That sounds pretty cool.

I will be there, obviously!

My one disappointment though is that Pentagram are playing almost the same exact setlist as last time.
I suppose beggars can't be choosers.

Also, haven't seen Gates since their new one, which is quite stellar.

I really wanted this tour to come close to me, but no such luck. :erk:

~Brian~

Is the new Gates that good? I've avoided buying it because I've read some reviews that were lackluster.
Pentagram rules but they didn't come this far east. I almost trekked out to Philadelphia, but decided against it.

Is the new Gates that good? I've avoided buying it because I've read some reviews that were lackluster.

Depends what reviews you read.

I mean for people who can't listen to anything outside of the C.O.T.D. (Circle of True Doom), it will get a bad review.

Gates finally successfully incorporated all of their influences on the new one. To be more specific, there is as much Manowar, Thin Lizzy, Deep Purple, and Rainbow, as their is Trouble, Saint Vitus, and Sabbath.

Anyone (I am pointing at YOU Bob), who wrote them off previously for being TOO doom, and is into trad metal, must check this out!

I am sure most of the tracks are out on You Tube.

Gates finally successfully incorporated all of their influences on the new one. To be more specific, there is as much Manowar, Thin Lizzy, Deep Purple, and Rainbow, as their is Trouble, Saint Vitus, and Sabbath.

I agree with this statement as well. I've never gotten Manowar out of them, but the others, absolutely. Possibly you're speaking of their themes being close to Manowar's?

~Brian~

I am going, got Saturday off. Been wanting to see Pentagram, Gates of Slumber, and local band Soul Power Trio for a while now! Should be killer.